Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2023, 07:32 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

Not that this is new.

I just heard a story about a place that required a s-figure fee just to get in.

Assisted-Living Fees Pile Up, as Do the Profits
Assisted-living centers have become an appealing retirement option for hundreds of thousands of baby boomers who can no longer live independently, promising a cheerful alternative to the institutional feel of a nursing home. But their cost is so crushingly high that most Americans can’t afford them.
Rents are often rivaled or exceeded by charges for services, which are either packaged in a bundle or levied a la carte. Overall prices have been rising faster than inflation, and rent increases since the start of last year have been higher than at any previous time since at least 2007, according to the National Investment Center for Seniors Housing & Care, which provides data and other information to companies.
There are now 31,000 assisted-living facilities nationwide — twice the number of skilled nursing homes. Four of every five facilities are run as for-profits.
https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2023...g-profits.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 04:24 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Thank you for the article!

While all indicators parlay that assisted living will be at the perils of someones' check book. Yikes!!

Old 11-28-2023, 05:55 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
When we had to put mom into assisted living after dad died, the facility assumed we would spend down the assets and then go on Medicaid. That never happened because dad had saved and invested. A portion of assisted living is tax deductible. In our case it was about 35%-40%. The assisted living facility needs to provide you with this figure. Additional levels of care (level 2,3,4,5) are fully tax deductible. Nursing home care is fully tax deductible. For some reason, the rules on tax deductions for assisted living are not widely known.

Old 12-17-2023, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Thank you for the article!

While all indicators parlay that assisted living will be at the perils of someones' check book. Yikes!!
Unfortunately true.

Also, just saw my typo. That was meant to be: a 6-figure fee

Old 12-18-2023, 02:17 PM

814 posts, read 580,354 times
Unfortunately, most of the reviews show the "best" care homes to be for-profit. People need to be motivated and nothing motivates like cold, hard cash these days.

I didn't know about certain levels of care being tax deductible. That could pave the way for making a move with my sick spouse. After a meeting with an eldercare attorney this week, she'll clarify things for me.

Getting born is expensive, getting old is expensive... geez.

Old 02-05-2024, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
Unfortunately, most of the reviews show the "best" care homes to be for-profit. People need to be motivated and nothing motivates like cold, hard cash these days.

I didn't know about certain levels of care being tax deductible. That could pave the way for making a move with my sick spouse. After a meeting with an eldercare attorney this week, she'll clarify things for me.

I wonder if that may change. I'm seeing more and more articles about elder-care facility being under a private equity umbrella, with awful results.

Old 02-05-2024, 08:19 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post

IOW, like the rest of our health care industry.

Old 02-20-2024, 05:50 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We just moved my Dad into one. It was $2000 One time Community fee to get in. Then there is 3800 room and board, $2600 more for level 6 care, $40 for cable TV, $150 for incontinence supplies (We are currently supplying those ourselves from Amazon, but I am not sure it saves anything). Also we have to use their pharmacy at exorbitant rates or pay a fee for using an outside pharmacy. All said and done, it is near $7000 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving