Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 05:16 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times

Advertisements

Uh oh guys!

I didn't believe my mom, or passed with indifference when she mentioned this the other day - but after witnessing it this morning, I need help!

She is eating. She is drinking. It's hard to gage her intake on a daily basis, when my daily routine sometimes has me working long hours, but it looks normal? The issue is the downstairs litterbox. The one in my room is crystals, the one downstairs is clumping sand. (because my kittybabies are spoiled, and have their preferences, lol)

This morning when I was getting ready for work before anyone else was up, I walked in on Twix in a hunched over position close to the litter box, (after having just exited the litterbox), and she was making this wierd growly gutteral noise. Not very loud, but very out of the ordinary - Twix is a silent velvet panther - she never makes noise! I walked over to her and she layed down next to the box, and stretched out. I went to pet her, and felt for her abdomen to see if it was swollen or distended, or anything of the sorts, and she got very loud, and tried to bite me. (not as a bite bite, but more of a snappy warning). I waited for her to stand up, and tried again with one hand on her back (so far so good) then one hand on her stomach moving downward - and she skitted away and began snapping again and vocalizing slightly.

I've been keeping a closer eye on her since my mother mentioned that she was acting strangely around the litterbox.. but this was the first time I had witnessed it. Its been going on for I would say 2-3 days now.

Like I said, she's eating. She's drinking. She was bouncing around and playing last night with Cinders, chasing the evil stuffed mouse all over the hardwood floor. She's USING the litterbox that I have seen, the only claim i haven't been able to substantiate is when my mother said she was peeing like a racehorse the other morning - buckets of pee, before laying down outside the litterbox and making her growly noise again.

She is an almost 3 year old black female spayed kitty. I'm making an appointment to take her to our emergency vet clinic in Annapolis later today, contrary to the measly paycheck I should be getting in an hour - so for all those who are about to say it, I know!! I'm going. I just wanted to be armed with some opinions before I go.

I'm writing this from the job that I can't check the forums on, haha - so I will catch up on any advice once I get home to scoop her up and get changed. Hopefully we can get some answers.

I know male cats can't pass kidney stones on their own and are sometimes fatal. She's a girl. I know URIs are pain when peeing - she's only peeing in the box, but definately sounding like she's in pain when she's done, or has given up. She pees in great quantities. But her water in take hasn't changed that I know of lately? And to answer any other possible details - they're all strictly on Blue Buffalo dry food (grain/gluten free), fresh water every day , and wet food snack at night when I get home from work, it's a kitty-ritual!

Diabetes? URI? Kidney Stones? Crystalized tract? Help me out here guys!
She's so low profile, and picky when people try to pick her up in general, that it's distressing and a bit difficult to diagnos anything out of the ordinary, but I really think she's having trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 06:52 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
i had a girl kitty that was very prone to the crystals in her urine..... thats what this sounds like......

Old 06-17-2010, 09:40 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,588 times
Sounds like what latetotheparty said. Crystals.

Having a diabetic cat i can tell you it doesn't sound like diabetes. Is your cat always begging for food of any kind and lost a lot of weight along with having a wet cat box. That's usually the first sign of diabetes in cat.

Keep us posted!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:25 AM

387 posts, read 2,131,222 times
I don't have a clue what it could be - please keep us posted and Twix will be in my thoughts!!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:33 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times
Ok. Home for a moment. She's not lost any weight, and no she doesn't beg for food - she's very picky.

Appointment's at 3pm today, keep all your paws crossed and keep us in your thoughts!

Hopefully this is not something major. I just hate that it's so hard to tell when she's feeling bad. She's just such a quiet loner cat.

This is her when we first adopted her,

And this is her grown up a bit

Old 06-17-2010, 10:40 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
If she's not urinating, it could be crystals. If Twix was recently peeing like a racehorse, it could just be bad constipation or obstruction. Possibly furballs. Our cat would go to the litterbox and strain, producing nothing. Then she'd walk away and lay down, and do her business lying down. A long string of business and then she'd feel better for a week or so, then start the whole process over. They put her on a number of things to help process the fur and pass the feces.

Good luck - keep us posted.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:45 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
paws crossed for the lovely miss twix....

and i had to smile ... my girl kitty that had the problem with the crystals was a tiny little solid black beauty..... much like your twix, only smaller.... i don't think she ever got more than about 7-8 lbs ..... lost her to kidney failure just short of her 18th bday......

rip sweet l'il skrappy.....

Old 06-17-2010, 11:33 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,588 times
I'll have Jensen cross his paws for Twix. I hope all goes well.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
What a pretty cat! Could be kidney problems, my 18 y/o would cry in the litterbox, then hunch and cry outside it but nothing came out. Hope it's something simple!

Old 06-17-2010, 02:07 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
I hope it isn't anything serious and she will be back to normal soon. Best wishes to you both!

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats