Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:04 PM

1,813 posts, read 2,851,954 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody again,

We got a new kitty who is estimated to be three years old. He was neutered about three weeks ago. When we go to sleep and also early in the morning, he cries and cries loudly and we don't know why. My guess is he wants company because if I get out of bed and sit with him he's okay. However I need to sleep sometime. We've tried putting him on the bed with us but he doesn't want to stay there. He insists on staying downstairs and crying at us instead. I don't want to give food at that time because he will learn that all he has to do is cry and he'll get food, and I don't want him to become overweight, either. I'm at a loss as to how to get him to be quiet when I'm not by his side. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 03:25 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,231,401 times
Maybe you should feed him before you go to sleep. I feed my cats wet food at night and then give them dry food in the morning/afternoon. My cat used to cry in the middle of the night if I didn't feed him at night time. Most cats are grazers and eat throughout the day. They aren't like dogs and won't eat all of it just because it's there. Most cats will eat until they are full.

He also may just be lonely. Cats are nocturnal animals so perhaps you could consider getting him another cat to play with? I always recommend having two so they can romp around in the middle of the night with each other.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:33 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,490,768 times
Cats are nocturnal....He's looking for company or someone to play with. Any chance of getting him a friend to "carouse" with at night?

Old 06-21-2010, 05:12 PM

1,813 posts, read 2,851,954 times
He does eat right before we go to bed and he does have a kitty friend in the house with him. Any more ideas?

Old 06-21-2010, 05:41 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
He does eat right before we go to bed and he does have a kitty friend in the house with him. Any more ideas?
Maybe you just have a crazy cat? Don't give up, I'm sure more ideas will be posted. Best of luck to you and your kitty.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,270,343 times
Oh, I have one of those. "Please get out of your nice, snuggly bed and feed me right now because if you don't I'm going to poop someplace new and unusual and you will find it with your bare feet when you get up in the morning and haven't even had your coffee yet."

Feeding him has won out over the poop on the floor thing. I'm weak.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:34 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,429,929 times
I have my Miss Chloe Kitty. She 'knocks' on the door for herself as well as the rest of the cats. She does this scratching thing on the door. Maxie used to meow. Now they all just have her do it and when I open the door and say now if you come in you have to stay in...blah blah

Then scratch scratch scratch on the door, right as I have fallen back to sleep. Then I say, Now if I let you out, you can't come back in...

I am sure you know what comes next.

Good luck with your meowing kitty. I have no idea what to tell you but my story.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:21 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,312,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have my Miss Chloe Kitty. She 'knocks' on the door for herself as well as the rest of the cats. She does this scratching thing on the door. Maxie used to meow. Now they all just have her do it and when I open the door and say now if you come in you have to stay in...blah blah

Then scratch scratch scratch on the door, right as I have fallen back to sleep. Then I say, Now if I let you out, you can't come back in...

I am sure you know what comes next.

Good luck with your meowing kitty. I have no idea what to tell you but my story.
My four year old Furrball has her own distinctive way of telling you she wants attention NOW. She finds the glass or the pen or my alarm clock which is now no longer an alarm maker and pushes it on the floor. Thunk. Pick it up. Thunk again. She's manage to teach at least the boys who are her new housemates. I'm sure when the girls are about they'll figure it out too.

Scampy has his own way. Nice little nips on the toes. OUCH! pet him, but he's not done. nip ouch. But he's such a snuggly sweety how can you be mad?

Old 06-22-2010, 10:30 AM

42,007 posts, read 75,416,775 times
Ours used to camp out in front of our bedroom door. They'd whine, and scratch, and meow, and whine, and meow ... Eventually they just got bored with all the drama. Sometimes they'll still sleep in front of the door (I find chewed-off toenails and patches of fur at the doorsill), but they mostly are quiet about it.

Try feeding him and giving him plenty of attention right before you go to bed, and then shut your bedroom door so you can't hear him. My guess is that he'll eventually get tired of crying when it yields no results.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:50 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,871,176 times
Maybe you can set up a nightime play room for your cats. Put a tree in there, food, litterbox etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats