Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 05:58 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times

Advertisements

I know a man who is scared of them. He doesn't "get" them and thinks they will turn on him and scratch him. He was probably mean to one as a kid and got what was coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 09:27 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,150 times
I don't think I have ever met anyone who hated cats.

But that might be because I don't associate with many Humans, and those that I do know have been selected for certain desirable characteristics, like loving cats.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:54 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
I hear ya, Freddy! If I find out that someone I meet hates cats, I keep my distance from that point on. Such are not my kind of people.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:32 PM

5,535 posts, read 7,106,205 times
My male Siamese not only came when I called him (outside), when I sat down on the driveway he'd start running toward me and he'd jump in my lap (!) and start purring like crazy. I'd never known before that a cat could be so loving.

(and yes, my basset hound used to do the same years ago, but he never leaned how to purr. )

Last edited by Tantalust; 09-18-2010 at 03:24 PM..

Old 09-18-2010, 04:15 PM

54 posts, read 228,906 times
Cats have a lot of habits which are none too pleasant to some, they can spray, claw up furniture/people, they are to some symbols of devils and witchcraft. They can caterwaul.

but these are of course the negatives to this wonderful animal I love cats.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsPride View Post
...they are to some symbols of devils and witchcraft.
Superstitious nonsense! My little black "familiar" has done a limited amount of damage to furniture in 14 years, and wakes me up every once in a while meowing loudly (in the latter case, I just tell him to put a sock in it and go back rto sleep). No indoor cat I have ever had has sprayed. Needless to say, they were all spayed or neutered.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:35 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
My mom is terrified of cats. I don't know if one attacked her as a kid or what, but one attacked ME as a kid and she hasn't gotten over it. :P I wasn't mean to it- it was a feral and I must have just been in his territory (on the slide at a local park) because he came up and scratched my wrist when I was 3 or 4 years old. I still have a scar and I was really terrified of cats for years.

It wasn't until I got my cat that I really got over it. He's really friendly and while he can play rough, I know he's not going to ever scratch a person on purpose. The family dog might not be so lucky, but I honestly think my cat only scratched her because he thought that he was protecting us. :P He's a very "dog like" cat in how he interacts with people.

Meanwhile my mom is still terrified of my cat. I lived at home for 2 months with the cat and she finally worked up the nerve in the last few weeks to pet him while I held him. The first month I was home, every time she opened my door and he ran to greet her, she'd scream bloody murder. It's funny too because she has an 80 pound dog and has no problem there.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:07 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
The local radio guy at WDAE Tampa always goes on rants that he hates cats. Once told his audience that cats ought to be used to sop oil out in the Gulf of Mexico. I started an advertiser boycott on their website and immediately was banned. I wrote the manager for the station but nothing came out of it (no retraction). Several people called in his show to show their disgust with his views on cats, but not much has been done. We have high animal abuse rates in our part of the country and don't need anyone encouraging people to mistreat their pets whatsoever.

620 WDAE Sports Radio Station in Tampa Bay

Old 09-25-2010, 06:39 PM

That 'local radio guy' should be 'declawed'. What a jerk!

Old 09-26-2010, 08:07 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
My grandmother never liked cats, she said they were evil creatures and that they were untrustworthy. I wasn't allowed to have a cat growing up, because my mother didn't like them either and claimed to be allergic to them.

Then I brought my two cats with me when I moved home a few years after college. Suddenly, my mother's allergies disappeared. And my big fat tuxedo cat became her lap-companion when she was watching TV on the couch. When my grandmother came to visit, she did look nervous around my cats, but my cats adored my grandmother. My tortie would bump her face against my grandmother's shins and try to climb on her lap. Eventually my grandmother forgot about how much she couldn't stand them and tolerated their presence for the rest of the visit. She'd comment every so often but my cats were more or less well-behaved so she really didn't have anything to complain about.

It was kind of cute when she said goodbye at the end of the visit - she actually said goodbye to the cats and told them that they are evil little things. You could tell she'd warmed up to them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats