Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:46 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Because the cat people that I know have cats that are always up on table, counters, stoves etc.

Keep them off of the counters, especially when you're serving food.
My room mate's cat isn't even allowed in the kitchen. And he doesn't generally beg. He knows if he does something wrong, he's going to get his butt beat and locked in the laundry room (where his litter box is).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 05:59 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,489 times
What do you mean is butt beat? That`s freaken cruel...

Old 09-08-2010, 06:44 PM

387 posts, read 2,130,845 times
I have a co-irker who hates cats and feels the need to tell me that he hates cats on a regular basis.

His reason for hating cats: "they stink".

Now, I don't give a crap if people don't like cats, but why do they feel the need to tell me about all the time? I don't tell them I hate their dog... or their car... or their bird... or their religion. Dang!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:25 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,830,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I've owned a cat (rescued a kitten from a parking lot where it was abandoned). Up until then, I was a dog person, but I can't let any animal just suffer. Love kittens. Kittens are sweet and personable and just want to play and be around you all the time.

I have never met a cat I have ever really liked. They can be unpredictable, they don't really let you know what they are thinking (I don't like some dogs for this reason), they are fairly disinterested in communicating with you (unless it's about their needs or wants), but most of all, I don't feel any 'team spirit' with a cat. With my dogs, I know we're all for one and one for all. My dogs endeavor to be useful members of the family - not freeloaders. I feel like cats are in it for themselves and I haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise (and I have a LOT of friends with cats).

Now you all can start with your stories or your disagreements but I've heard it all before, and I respectfully say that I still don't care for cats. That's just how I feel, the op asked why, I answered, and neither of us are going to convince the other any differently.

All it boils down to is what I want from a pet I can't get from a cat.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, I know I will never change mine. Meow, Meow

Old 09-08-2010, 08:00 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
I think cats tend to reflect their owners. Of course, in houses with a lot of cats this may be less true. But the personality of cats is shaped more than dogs who tend to have a personality based more on breed. So when someone tells me they hate cats, I assume that cats hate them. And, sight unseen, I'll go with the cat every time.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:07 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
I can only speak from my own personal experience.

I find that there are three kinds of people who hate cats.

1. People who have always had dogs and do not understand that cats are not dogs;

2. People who have had a bad experience with a cat as a child; and

3. People who have a sick "need" to be IN CHARGE of their pets. They cannot deal with having a pet who will not OBEY THEM. They need to be adored and worshiped by their pet (i.e. dog), and they cannot handle the indifference and lack of control that they have over cats. They actually get HOSTILE that they cannot control the very heart and soul of the cat! I have found that in THIS AREA the less intelligent and worldly a person is, the more they tend to dislike cats. Mind you, I am not saying that cat haters are stupid across the board - certainly not. But this has just been my observation.

Here in the Missouri Ozarks, you rarely see a dog hit on the road because rednecks will swerve or stop to miss them; whereas, in contrast there are many who will run OFF the road just to hit a cat on the shoulder. Gotta love these freakin' morons.

Anyway, whenever I hear someone say....they hate cats, I always ask them if they had a bad experience as a child and if not, then I know they are either ignorant to the ways of cats (dog people) or they are idots. LOL

My first husband's mother hated them because they were "sneaky". Go figure. She was a beagle person - never had a cat, as far as I know.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-08-2010, 11:58 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,986,369 times
Angry Beating a cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
My room mate's cat isn't even allowed in the kitchen. And he doesn't generally beg. He knows if he does something wrong, he's going to get his butt beat and locked in the laundry room (where his litter box is).
They "beat" the cat? Why not spray it with water rather than take the chance of rupturing it's internal organs. Maybe they should find the cat a good home.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:03 AM

542 posts, read 1,478,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Why do some people hate cats?
because they are dumb

Old 09-09-2010, 12:04 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,986,369 times
Smile Close the bedroom door

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Here's a question how do cats know what time it is-every morning at 4am my cat wants to be fed-I used to get up at 4am-3 years ago! I cannot break her of this habit....suggestions?

I close my bedroom door making sure no cats are in the bedroom. Problem solved.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
They "beat" the cat? Why not spray it with water rather than take the chance of rupturing it's internal organs. Maybe they should find the cat a good home.
Her cat is pretty well trained though. And "beating" him isn't her first reaction to the begging...or anything else. First, she'll say "What are you doing?" And that often stops him.

She also expects him to sit quietly next to the bowl as she's feeding him, and only go to eat when she gives permission.

I'm not involved in discipline at all--if anything, I'm the good cop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats