Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:28 AM

544 posts, read 1,484,967 times

Advertisements

My current cat is the biggest I've ever had and I'm finding that there is a slight odor coming from the box, quicker than before, and more need to scoop every day, rather than skip a day.

Can someone recommend the very most powerful litter (I like clumping litter) that I might buy to prevent odor?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 11:34 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
With the litter box I think it's more about keeping it pristinely clean rather than trying to cover odor. You could get a second box and that will help. Vets recommend you have 1 box per cat plus 1 box. I'd still scoop every day though, the cat has a better sense of smell than you do. Happy cat = happy owner.

We've just switched to very cheap litter but with scooping each box every day and changing the sand once a week, it comes out to less money than we were spending on the "good" stuff.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:08 PM

544 posts, read 1,484,967 times
I don't care about cheapest; I want "best."

Old 09-08-2010, 02:14 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Well what I was trying to say is that I feel that the situation we are providing the cats now is better than what we were providing with less boxes and "better" more expensive litter. The cheaper part is an added bonus.

Last edited by Debsi; 09-08-2010 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: more

Old 09-08-2010, 03:44 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,130 times
I`ve had no problems with Scoopaway. With one cat I change the box once a month and scoop every day to every 2 days. I don`t let it go any further than that because cats like clean litter and plus, it`s gross to leave it longer than that.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:52 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I have one (large) cat, and I scoop out his box twice a day, religiously, and I don't skip days, because I don't consider it fair to him. I never have a smell coming from the box, and I've used all types of clumping litter. Try scooping it more often, and it should help. I think Fresh Step makes a lavender scented litter, and you could try that if you still smell anything.

But my next door neighbor doesn't like to clean her litter pan, so she lets it go for a week, throws the full pan out, and buys a new one. Then she starts all over again.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:47 PM

387 posts, read 2,130,654 times
I use the Petco brand and it works well - but you have to scoop the litter every day. It isn't scented and doesn't have as much dust as arm and hammer and fresh step and scoop away.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:54 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Try Tidy Cats Small Spaces if you haven't already. Have had good luck with that. Main litter box here is in pretty open spot that we walk by often, and there is not an odor even after a couple days.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:11 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Wink Scoop more often

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
My current cat is the biggest I've ever had and I'm finding that there is a slight odor coming from the box, quicker than before, and more need to scoop every day, rather than skip a day.

Can someone recommend the very most powerful litter (I like clumping litter) that I might buy to prevent odor?

TIA
Try scooping twice a day. Why make the cat use the pan when it's "smelly?" We scoop twice a day and have no smells from the litter pans. We use scented Fresh Step.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:34 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Well, ideally, yes, it is best to a) not subject the cat to strong litter box odors (and if you're smelling it it's quite a bit worse to the cat) and b) not subject the cat to stepping in significant mess. But if you have a decently sized box (most are really too small unless you have a tiny cat) and the litter cooperates it's not strictly necessary to be scooping every 10 minutes to control the odor. No, seriously, short of really finicky cats or multiples using same box you should be able to go a whole day at least without scooping, and maybe longer, even while achieving those ideals.

Additional box(es) is good too, but in my experience the cat will use one box most often, especially if the home is multi-level and the second box is on a different level than the one where the cat spends the most time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats