Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 09:19 PM

450 posts, read 2,055,680 times

Advertisements

I am sold on getting guinea hens as a snake deterrent. But if I want to keep 2 cats and have them range freely around my house, beach, and woods will they leave the guineas alone. I mean if I have a small flock of hens I would think it would deter the cats from getting in their way. The cats will be well-fed and go in and out of the house. But I want the guineas under and around the house and, well, everywhere and anywhere they want. I hear dogs will attack guineas. But what about the cats? Something tells me the guineas are aggressive enough to take care of themselves? This is the only forum that answers such questions--LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 10:59 PM

71 posts, read 346,042 times
Well, I don't know your situation but quite frankly, my "Fluffy" may just get after it. It also depends on how old your cats are. My male cat is much nicer now than he was 10 years ago. He is about 16 now but solid.

Are you trying to get rid of snakes? I read your post twice but just didn't get it what it is about the cats and the guinnies.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:34 AM

112 posts, read 803,636 times
We have had guineas on several occasions, and also a number of cats; barn cats, outside cats. Never once did I see a confrontation between these species. they just go about their business. Dogs are a different story. Our dogs have all been the mutt or herding breeds and could care less about guineas. However, some neighbors have had bird dogs and that's a bad combination. Eventually, each group of gunieas we ever had were picked-off by foxes, at least once in broad daylight. We have since switched to peacocks which can hold their own against almost every predator, except maybe an ambush or a very aggressive fox or coyote.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:29 AM

Default Yep, eptex, it is them thar snakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eptex View Post
Well, I don't know your situation but quite frankly, my "Fluffy" may just get after it. It also depends on how old your cats are. My male cat is much nicer now than he was 10 years ago. He is about 16 now but solid.

Are you trying to get rid of snakes? I read your post twice but just didn't get it what it is about the cats and the guinnies.
I am just searching for some natural ways to deter snakes. I don't want to put out poison or other barriers at this point.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:31 AM

Default Hi burro. Do peacocks go after snakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theburro View Post
We have had guineas on several occasions, and also a number of cats; barn cats, outside cats. Never once did I see a confrontation between these species. they just go about their business. Dogs are a different story. Our dogs have all been the mutt or herding breeds and could care less about guineas. However, some neighbors have had bird dogs and that's a bad combination. Eventually, each group of gunieas we ever had were picked-off by foxes, at least once in broad daylight. We have since switched to peacocks which can hold their own against almost every predator, except maybe an ambush or a very aggressive fox or coyote.

I have always like peachickens. Can you get by with only 2? Would they deter snakes or just sit around and screech when they were not displaying their magnificent plumage?

Old 01-17-2007, 07:36 AM

112 posts, read 803,636 times
Peacocks will attack a small snake. Also, large snakes are murder on peacock chicks.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:44 AM

97 posts, read 433,169 times
I've never had a problem with cat's and chickens so guinea's should do fine. The peep's would be vulerable. Snake's dont usually hang around a house unless there is something to eat (rat's, mice). Are the snake's poisonous. If not I would leave them alone. I like having snake's around on our farm.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:09 PM

Default I do not hate snakes. It is poisonous ones that must go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyh View Post
I've never had a problem with cat's and chickens so guinea's should do fine. The peep's would be vulerable. Snake's dont usually hang around a house unless there is something to eat (rat's, mice). Are the snake's poisonous. If not I would leave them alone. I like having snake's around on our farm.
Snakes have a part in the old eco-system. But it is the mocassins and copperheads,rattlers, and corals that I want way back in the swamp or the woods. I have lots of room for those on my acreage. But around the house and down by the beach I have to have it clear of those critters.

Thanks for your reply, mandyh.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:17 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
My mother has about 5 cats and perhaps 8 - 10 guinea hens, as well as ducks and a couple of roosters. The cats do not bother the guinea hens at all; the guinea hens do not bother with the cats.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Thanks, Christina. I am gettin guineas with cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
My mother has about 5 cats and perhaps 8 - 10 guinea hens, as well as ducks and a couple of roosters. The cats do not bother the guinea hens at all; the guinea hens do not bother with the cats.
No to the pot-bellied pigs. Can't have mongooses. Bring on the guineas. And I really like my cats. Oh, maybe a Great Dane would be nice, too, as I have lots of room. I bet he will ignore the guineas as well. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats