Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 12:03 AM

38 posts, read 97,609 times

Advertisements

My kitten Theo is 7 months old. We also have a 12 year old female and an 8 month old male.

Last week Theo had some swelling around his right eye. It was late in the day so we thought we'd take him to the Vet the next day. When we woke up the swelling was gone. On Wednesday again late in the day we saw that he had swelling around his left eye, this time the swelling got worse through the night. When we woke up his whole left side of his face and chin were swollen also his left front paw was getting swollen. We took him to the Vets. She gave him a shot of anti-inflamatory meds. She gave us eye drops and antibiotics. He had no fever and he is still very active and eating fine.

This morning we took him to the Vets again. When we woke up he had more swelling in his front paw and a sligthly weepy sore under his chin. This time she took a blood test. We should get a result tomorrow. His swelling has increased through the day. His left paw was 2 1/4 inches across and his right paw is only an inch across. Also he is getting some swelling on his right back paw. We called the Vet again and she told us to get some reactin. We gave him some and the swelling in his paw has come down a little.

He still has no fever, eating the same as always and he is still playing with his brother. This is an indoor only cat. Anyone have any ideas? The Vet isn't sure what it is. She thinks it could possibly be a spider bite. She has also checked with other Vets, With the swelling moving around to different areas and no fever they can't seem to match it up with anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 12:09 AM

I forgot to add that he has a couple of red raised patches over his right eye. They look almost like eczema. Also there have been no obvious scratches or bites on him. His lymph nodes also seem to be inflammed. Also the swelling in his face is gone, he just has it under his chin and his 2 paws now.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:44 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Has he been tested for FeLV/FIV?

It does sound like an allergic reaction though, but on the other hand if his immune system is compromised in some way any allergy could cause problems.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:27 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,324,281 times
I have to agree with Catsmom- get him tested if he hasn't been tested already.

But for now keep an eye on him and keep checking with your vet if you seen any changes. And if need be try a second vet.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:01 PM

We got the results of the blood test, nothing unusual. Just an elevated white blood count. Negative for FELV/FlV.

This morning his swelling was gone, but in the afternoon he started swelling around his eye again. The Vet thinks it is either a spider bite, since we do have a wood stove or an allergic reaction.

The only thing we have brought into the house in the last month would be a different litter. We are now using Worlds Best Litter, made out of corn. So the Vet has said to go back to the clay kind for now. Just in case he is allergic to the litter. I don't think that it is the litter, since we've had it here for 3 weeks before any reation.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:36 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Because the reaction seems to "disappear" only to "reappear"... wouldn't that seem to indicate that the cat keeps coming back into contact with whatever it might be?

Old 10-31-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Because the reaction seems to "disappear" only to "reappear"... wouldn't that seem to indicate that the cat keeps coming back into contact with whatever it might be?

It never seems to disappear completely, but I agree with you that it could be something that he is coming into contact with. We have taken away the corn litter and today I'm going to pick up some Natural Balance limited diet food. Just trying to cut down on any possiblities.

Today his eye is almost better, but he has had swelling in the other front paw, though not as much as it was the other night.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,219 times
Hi i was wondering if you ever found out what was causing the swelling. I have a 1 year old now that has been having the same exact issue for about 8 months now. we have taken her to countless vets and none seem to have a definite answer. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:09 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
It sounds a lot like an allergic reaction, the swelling being similar to hives in a human.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:34 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
It sounds a lot like an allergic reaction, the swelling being similar to hives in a human.
I have to agree. My first thought is that it's something in the environment rather than a food allergy if the swelling is localized. Something ingested as the cause would probably cause general swelling (such as both eyes or both paws or the lips or all over).

Environmental suspects could be litter, cleaning product residues (on counters, floors, carpets, laundry), air fresheners, plants. Of course this presumes the kitty is indoors-only. If the cat ever goes outside, the list is much longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats