Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 10:04 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times

Advertisements

ok just want to see if anyone else has a cat like mine...

a little background on Tempi (oficially known as not so temporary, and formally known as temporary)

i was out with frineds one night and as i was leaving the resturaunt i hear squeeking...after 15 minutes of looking through the boxes and trashcans behind the resturaunt there was a trashcan that was bungee corded shut and the squeeking was louder...

i opend it up and ther was a moving brown paper bag.
the bag had been ductaped closed, and inside the bad was an aproximatly 7-8 week old bright eyes little black kitten, her paws had been tied together with fishing line which she had alsmo managed to get wrapped around her neck.

i freed her, and brought her home.
she was SUPPOSED to be temporary...so that was her name...so i woudnt get attatched.
the next day i called our local no kill, they told me theyd be happy to take her...if i paid them...i offered them a donation of over $200 in cat food (we own a pet boutique and had cans and bags of food that would be going out of date in the next month that they would power through long before expiration...)
i also had an apt with my vet that day to get her her shots and a check up, which i told them..

they thanked me for the gracious food donation and for getting the kitten her first round of shots, then reminded me that they also needed a minimum $100 cash donation to take her...

WHAT? im offering you all this food, and getting the kitten vetted, i found her and you want me to pay you to take her...
temporary ended up being a case of 'ill rehome her myself' which by the end of the week became a case of "but i love her" and temporary became Not so temporary, now known as Tempi.

anywho...
shes an incredibly sweet (all be it opinionated) kitty, big voice...shes a talker, ive had siamese before and she makes our meezer look "quiet"
and considering what her early weeks must have been like to end up in a situation like that, is very affectionate.

but shes an odd one...

she loves her snuggles, head butts, lots of loving, purring, general love bugg...
but when she gets super affectionate the weirdness occurs...first she licks you...yes...like a dog...
but more so when she gets realy into it...she bites...
i shoudl say bites, she doesnt bit to hurt, doesnt break skin ect, its a nibble, she'll lick lick lick nip lol. its so odd. all the while shes purring and kneeding and rubbing...lick lick lick...nip...sometimes shell even go so far as to gently chew a few times. again no real pressure. then shell go back to lickig and head butts...
she does this frequently...

does anyone elses cat do this or is tempi just weird lol.

before tempi ive never been a cat person, i like cats and weve had cats all my life but i never connected to cats like i do to my dogs...but shes definatly a "heart cat" she might as well be a less needy dog :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 10:28 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,047 times
My cat has licked and bitten (softly) before, but he doesn't do it often. I wouldn't say it's all that unusual, but most cats I've heard of don't lick often. Mine has, though. There is a thread about love bites on here somewhere I think.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:16 AM

216 posts, read 829,750 times
One of mine doesn't lick, but he's a "biter", it's called a love bite, they also show affection towards eachother by "biting", the ultimate version being: teeth in human hand / front claws in the same human hand / hind claws in human under arm... if you pull away it hurts real bad, if you sort of go with the flow until he stops (after 2-3 seconds) it doesn't hurt at all, and there is no mark of any kind on human arm.
It's kind of a mixture of ultimate love bite and "o.k. you can stop scratching my head now!".

Old 01-01-2011, 12:04 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,229,188 times
Tippy Toes is a nibbler/biter. Mostly she does this in the middle of the night while I am sleeping, but sometimes when she is sitting on my lap. She used to come at me about every 45 minutes all night long, then it was every 2 hours, then only once in a while.

She also does the thing ulrikeV mentions, but with slightly more enthusiasm.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:41 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
foxywench: Thank you for saving the poor little kitty! Whoever did that deserves to be tied up in a trash bag. She's so happy to be free, and intent on showing her gratitude, that she gets carried away. I've had cats that do that...they just get so happy they can't stand it.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:44 PM

im lucky, shes never put her claws anywhere neer my skin other than the time i accidentally stepped on her tail...(i have 4 very nice scars wrapping round my ankle from that game lol)

she does however do it in the mornngs when shes certain its time i get up...that ones generally lick lick lick NIP the nose LOL.

good to know shes not suffering some kind of brain damage lol. though it wouldnt suprise me from the amount of times she and my male dog jasper have dove at each others heads lol

Old 01-01-2011, 12:54 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,827,228 times
My only regret here is that the cops weren't called to the scene before Tempi was rescued. It may not have called for yellow tape around the trash cans, but a crime definitely took place. How people can be that cruel is beyond me.
As others have already mentioned, what Tempi is doing is nothing more than what I call a kitty hickey. My "Weasie" used to give me these occasionally - before her fangs had to be extracted (she's 18 now.) So did her long-lost brother, and the other cats from long ago who I grew up with. Not all cats do it though. To me it's better than sloppy dog "kisses," but the spirit they're given in is the same. Tempi is forever in your debt and I'm glad that you love her right back.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:16 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,815 times
I have 2 kitties that give "love bites" when they are exited .
The person that did that to Tempi should be subjected to the same treatment. What goes around comes around... I HOPE
Thank you for saving Tempi!

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-01-2011, 03:17 PM

i did take pictures, and had the vet take pictures of the injuries (luckily the fishing line hadnt been tied tight enough or long enough to cause major injuries but she had a few slices) and a formal report was filed. the cops pulled the resturaunts security vids and tracked the vehicle they thought was responsible but nothing came out of it as there was no faces on the tape

i do have faith however karma will find them and dish out exactly what they deserve, people that can do that to an innocent animal (or person for that matter) doesnt deserve the benefit of the doubt.

the good news is shes a healthy sassy kitty :P

Old 01-01-2011, 05:03 PM

436 posts, read 1,522,931 times
My cat does this. I am trying to sleep and she come on the bed and does this to any exposed skin she can find (except my face). When we first got her, she used to do that in my hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats