Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 03:20 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,825,170 times

Advertisements

I have four housecats. We recently brought Matilda into the house (she is the fourth). I love her and she is sweet. However, it's been ten days now and she and the other cats do not get along. She wants to be outside. There haven't been a lot of behavioral issues, but twice someone has peed in my bed. Tonight she sat on top of me and peed on me. Fortunately I caught her in time and she only soiled one blanket (I washed them all tonight before bed).

I don't want to kick her outside, especially with the weather the way it is. I do love her. But I'm really frustrated. Multiple times a day the cats have hissing fights and she starts some of them. She obviously does not understand the litter box thing completely. I'm just wondering if three was my limit as far as having cats inside. I wonder if Matilda (once the weather gets warmer) would prefer to be outside. She definitely misses her mother and her brothers (who are outside cats).

Is it okay to kick a cat out, at least for the summer time? I'd hate to, but I'm at my wit's end. The other cats have their issues, though the scratching thing has mostly cleared up (they're using the new scratching post). I've tried to be patient with all of the cats, but Matilda has worn me to a frazzle. Maybe I'm being unfair to her, but I'm running out of patience. I won't do anything immediately, but I can't be turning around every half hour to break up a fight or wash my sheets. I go back to school in January and I don't have the time or the energy for this.

Is it wrong to put a cat outside? Are some cats just not cut out for the inside life, especially if they've never experienced it before? Or will it work out if I'm patient? I just don't have time for all of this drama. Everybody has their limit and I think I've reached mine. In the Spring she should be fine outside. Her mother and brothers are out there anyway. There is the road out there, which is a risk, but I don't really think she's all that happy in here. I'm not sure I would be happy in a place where nobody (as far as cats) liked me. Maybe I'm just frustrated because I got peed on and I'll feel better tomorrow. But I've been wondering about this for a while. I may be at my limit. The inside cats are feeling more like a burden than a joy right now, but I suppose that's the case with pets. But I can't live with my parents forever and I don't want to accumulate too many inside cats, since they are more work. I'm just feeling really weighted down.

I don't want to risk her life by putting her outside, but having her outside is not an automatic death sentence either. There certainly are risks. I think she, I, and the other cats would have more peaceful lives if she were outside with her mother and brothers. I feel like a horrible cat owner saying that, but I think, once it's warmer, that life would be better for all of us if she were outdoors. I want her to have a long life, but also a happy one. Shouldn't the quality of the life be as important as the quantity? I don't think she's miserable here, but I think she would be happier outside where she could roam and be with her family, the cats who do love her.

And, please, don't give me the "well you don't love you cat" line. I do love her. But I don't want to keep her confined when that may not be what is best for her, as far as quality of life. I'm not being irresponsible. I am seriously trying to consider what is best for her and the other cats. If you want to attack me, that's fine. I'm just trying to do what is best for them. Advice is fine. Attacks I don't need.

Anyway, thanks for your advice and Merry Christmas.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 12-24-2010 at 03:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 05:46 AM

216 posts, read 829,680 times
Well, if I remember some of your other posts/threads right, you didn't purposely adopt a bunch of cats somewhere and then "kicked them outside", right?
As for me, I can't give you really good advice because I think different than most here on the forum.
My cats are feral born and indoor/outdoor, as are most cats here in the rural area where I live.
I don't understand why they have to be either one to begin with. I'm originally from Europe and don't understand why felis catus is supposed to be the only species that is never allowed outdoors, when they are actually the least domesticated of all animals leaving in close proximity with humans.
Yeah, there is dangers outside, for cats as for humans and all other animals. And there is dangers inside. And I don't have enough hands/fingers to count the stories I heard about the "cat got out", "no, no, she was strictly indoors only!", and the cat never showed up again, although everybody should know that indoor only cats when they get out will remain close by the house (no more than 100ft away), hiding completely frightened, and not responding to calls for hours/days.
In general if there is a new cat added to the household you can't just drop her off with the other indoor cats, you need to confine her to her own room/bathroom and let them sniff each other under the door for 2-4 weeks, cats are territorial, indoors or outdoors. Of course they defend their territory and fight the "newbie".
Why is weather your main concern? There are a large multitude of ways to build them adequate shelters outdoors and keep them warm.
And why are you then not worried about the other cats you have outdoors?
Here are two links for outdoor shelter ideas:
Alley Cat Allies - Winter Tips (http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=701 - broken link)

IndyFeral - Outdoor Cat Shelters and Feeding Stations

There are several folks also on this forum who have some indoor only cats plus care for some outdoor cats outside their house.
I might be the only one with indoor/outdoor, but yeah well, I'm different anyway, I guess..
And please refrain now from sending me endless links from the HSUS and especially the all so mighty cat haters number one Audobon Society on letting cats outside...
This indoor only thingy here in the U.S. doesn't seem to solve the problem this country has with euthanasia in "shelters" and tens of millions of feral cats either...

Old 12-24-2010, 07:27 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
personally ive found some cats are simply NOT going to be happy as a strictly indoor cat. my tempi cat is one of those cats.

she is impossible to live with strictly indoors...i tried, hard...and alot! but she has the voice of a meezer and is not afraid to use it. she is simply miserable inside only...and i dont see how keeping her safe but completly miserable can be good for her.

we have a routein now she goes out with the dogs in the morning, comes home for breakfast then goes out before i leave around 11am ish...she comes back in for dinner around 6pm and stays in now its winter. she did protest about this so ive let her out and she comes right back when she realizes how cold it is lol.

i try to make sure shes in the house for the overnight when the temps are realy low...

mabe a similar set up might work better for you? if you have a screened porch or a laundry room ect mabe a magnetic cat flap might work so she can come and go as she pleases?

i will add however we are surrounded by a nice amount of land on all sides and no busy roads. she shows no interest in going neer the roads given shes got acres of untended land (long grass) to play in.

my parents tabby cat is another of those cats that was simply unhappy inside, and after years of dealing with a cat that was peeing on everything despite changes in boxes and litter, and being dr jekly and mr hide, he got out one day and has never been a happier kitty...he goes out daily now and the changes in his personality and demenor are amazing...hes just simply happier having acess to the outdoor.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:15 AM

380 posts, read 832,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrikeV View Post
...felis catus ... when they are actually the least domesticated of all animals leaving in close proximity with humans..
Great post.

The more I learn about cats, the more I'm beginning to consider a feline an Exotic species when it comes to having pets.

Think about it, a lion, Tiger, I honestly wonder how our cats are any different???

True they've been "domesticated" for centuries (only thanks to their size). But, like they say, can you change the spots on a Leopard? It is what it is.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:39 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
after spednign time with big cats and working directly with them...
other than the limited ability for a house cat to tear your leg off, there seriously not that different lol.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:27 PM

216 posts, read 829,680 times
It's Christmas Eve, I'm waiting for my indoor/outdoor feline companions to come home. The boy should be here any minute (before he heads back out late tonight) the girl will be here 5:30 PM, 6 PM the latest.
I bought their absolute favorite food, not the healthiest choice, but hey, do humans eat health food on Christmas...?
Shrimps for the boy and tilapia for the girl.
The cats are American born, many consider them not indigenous to the U.S., but that's not their fault, their ancestors were brought here hundreds of years ago by Europeans, my Maine Coon is even considered an "American breed", not indigenous but American..., they were born to a feral mama, probably different dads, a "waste product" of our throw away society of breeding and adding "pets" as consumer products to our households, expecting them to behave like a stuffed animal with a programmable motor inside.
As I said, the cats were born here, I was not, I'm German, that's why I celebrate Christmas tonight, that's alright with the cats, we will continue to celebrate tomorrow.
To the OP:
Why are you anxious to help one of your outdoor cats and keeping her warmer than the rest of her family and not all of them?
Whether we purposely bring these animals into our home, or a fellow human dropped them off at our home, or they found their way by themselves looking for help, shelter, and food.... we are the descendants of those who domesticated felis catus, we are the descendants of those who brought them into this country, it is our duty as a human being to help any living creature in need. And not pick and choose who is prettier or easier to handle and help just one.
It's Christmas Eve, get some bales of straw and build your outdoor cats a comfy cozy shelter, feed them, and get them neutered and spayed asap, and start spreading the word in your community.
It's Christmas.
Merry Christmas to you and all your cats and everybody else and all God's creatures on this Earth. Peace.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:17 PM

The females are all spayed. I'm not as concerned about the two males. Yes, I know that they contribute to the breeding process, but I'm more concerned about the females. Plus getting every stray spayed is expensive.

I brought Matilda in for a trial period to see if she'll be alright in the house. We just recently got her spayed and she had to stay inside temporarily. I would like to bring her mother and brothers into the house, but seven housecats is just too many. Four is a stretch right now.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:22 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Just a thought, but, have you considered making an outside multi-level containment cage for them with access inside? For instance, take a dog kennel run fence, put a top on it, make several ramps and levels for perching, and give access inside through a cat-door? I don't like seeing outdoor cats wander freely because they are opportunistic hunters and do real damage to wild songbirds.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:51 PM

That would explain the headless robin on our front porch.

We've also had pieces of rabbit on the porch at various times.

I'm not all that concerned about the wildlife, mostly just about the cat.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:38 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
The females are all spayed. I'm not as concerned about the two males. Yes, I know that they contribute to the breeding process, but I'm more concerned about the females. Plus getting every stray spayed is expensive. ....
Your point is that you are not concerned, is that correct? Then why post for advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
That would explain the headless robin on our front porch.

We've also had pieces of rabbit on the porch at various times.

I'm not all that concerned about the wildlife, mostly just about the cat.
Which is a real problem I have with the irresponsible owners of free-ranging outdoor cats. I called a neighbor whose cat I caught hunting at my birdfeeders in town. She was quite rude when I asked her to contain her cat. I won't call again but will take it directly to the humane society and she can pay the fine.

I'm at the point that when in the rural areas (on my own property) I will not hesitate to shoot a feral or unknown free-ranging domestic cat DRT (dead right there). In the end it is because the homeowner of an outdoor cat was irresponsible and let his/her cat wander. If you are really concerned about your outdoor cat you will not allow it to free-range outdoors unattended and onto the property of others.

In the meanwhile, I will protect the wildlife for whom I am practicing conservation and habitat restoration methods over the errant free-ranging domesticated or feral cat. YMMV

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 12-24-2010 at 03:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats