Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 03:43 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times

Advertisements

I have been feeding my three cats Wellness CORE dry food for about 6 months now...

A month ago I had to take my male cat to the Vet, he had a bladder infection and his uretha was blocked. I gave him antibiotics and all is well so I thought. Now I have to take my female to the vet as she is showing the same symptoms as the male cat-except she has also gained about 6 pounds on this food. This cannot be a coincidence-my cats are all 5 1/2 and all in excellent health-has anyone had these problems and can someone recommend a quality cat food? Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 03:56 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
My cats have been eating Wellness Core, also for about 6 months, and have had no problems. But each individuals makeup is different so maybe the nutritional makeup of it isn't right for them. They haven't gained weight either - maybe the one who's gained likes it a little too well? Did the vet mention the ph value of their urine after testing? There's info available online about diet and urine ph which can affect UTIs. Then you could check ingredients of different foods on a website like petco or petsmart. What were they eating before? Even if it wasn't a "high-quality" food you could go back to it at least temporarily to see if there health improved again. Then you'd know for sure if diet was to blame.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
My cats have been eating Wellness Core, also for about 6 months, and have had no problems. But each individuals makeup is different so maybe the nutritional makeup of it isn't right for them. They haven't gained weight either - maybe the one who's gained likes it a little too well? Did the vet mention the ph value of their urine after testing? There's info available online about diet and urine ph which can affect UTIs. Then you could check ingredients of different foods on a website like petco or petsmart. What were they eating before? Even if it wasn't a "high-quality" food you could go back to it at least temporarily to see if there health improved again. Then you'd know for sure if diet was to blame.
Yeah the female does like it a little too much-the Vet really didn't say much-she thought it was okay to keep feeding them the CORE-I just do not understand why they are all of a sudden getting urinary problems-I change the water daily and they always have access to it-

I was feeding them Natural Balance but the company changed it's formula and my cats started throwing up all the time.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:20 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Yeah the female does like it a little too much-the Vet really didn't say much-she thought it was okay to keep feeding them the CORE-I just do not understand why they are all of a sudden getting urinary problems-I change the water daily and they always have access to it-

I was feeding them Natural Balance but the company changed it's formula and my cats started throwing up all the time.
Why not switch them over to canned food? It's better than anything you can find dry in a bag.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:30 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
Quote:
I have been feeding my three cats Wellness CORE dry food for about 6 months now...

A month ago I had to take my male cat to the Vet, he had a bladder infection and his uretha was blocked. I gave him antibiotics and all is well so I thought. Now I have to take my female to the vet as she is showing the same symptoms as the male cat-except she has also gained about 6 pounds on this food. This cannot be a coincidence-my cats are all 5 1/2 and all in excellent health-has anyone had these problems and can someone recommend a quality cat food? Thank you

Dnvrsoul, cats are obligate felines, and MUST eat meat. It matters not the brand of dry food you feed your cat, ANY dry food will create problems in cats, especially FLUTD problems, which it now seems your baby has. Please switch over to canned food, or better yet, start studying on how to feed cats a raw diet.

And yes, I do know there are members here who feed their cats dry food and who disagree with me, and what I have to say to them, you lucked out you did not run into problems with your cat.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:42 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
wellness is a great food...

the problem here may however be water consumption.
MANY cats will not consume enough water when on a dry food...they dont "like" to drink especially standing water.

my first suggestion is measure out...dont free feed them, as your finding one of your girls is enjoying the food a little too mcuh lol, by feeding a little at a time and getting her moving youll get that back under control.

my next suggestion, add wet food, at least one moist meal a day, wellness makes a wet food for cats if i remember right. (raw is best but can be difficult to switch to) because they dont drink alot the moisture in the food helps.

next, change the water more frequently, cats HATE stagnant water, change it at least 3-4 times a day to keep it fresh and encorage more drinking...

and lastly, if you can afford, id look into a cat drinking fountain (or leave your faucet on a trickle) cats prefer to drink from a fresh RUNNING watersource, the fountains are good as they recycle the water through a charcoal filter to keep it fresh and running but you have to have it plugged in and refill/clean frequently. leaving a tap on trickle is great but will add to your water bill...running water however is MUCH more attractive to a cat than even fresh standing water...

but switching to raw (or 100% wet food) will definatly help. its not the dry food itself, wellness is an excelnt food..its just simply because cats dont drink much water and by nature typically gets allmost all their liquid for the day from their food.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:43 PM

Hmm Yes I just always thought that dry is better...I know I know-I may have to do it-after almost 600.00 in vet bills and seeing my cats suffer...I have to do something.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:14 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
Quote:
Hmm Yes I just always thought that dry is better...I know I know-I may have to do it-after almost 600.00 in vet bills and seeing my cats suffer...I have to do something.
We have been where you are right now, and believe me, my heart goes out to you. (((HUGS))) Once upon a time, I thought dry was better for cats, because I listened to what other people said who did not know what they were talking about.

See this as an opportunity to give your cats the food that they really need. They are young, and hopefully, have many good years ahead of them. Now you are beginning to know the truth, which is good, and now you have the power to change that which does not work for your cats. We who have been through the mill with our own cats, applaud you and encourage you!

Old 01-03-2011, 06:28 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,618,630 times
Many say dry is best for teeth. But vets sell this to make $. I use ONLY Wellness wet canned Chicken & she loves it. No probs yet w/ hydration, really, other than she is now getting her wet food w/ a few spoons of water to hydrate it more. I worry that that, tho they say dry is better, it'll dehydrate her & maybe cause plaque/tarter. Ok, sorry to jump off topic but had to 2nd the use of Wellness but NOT the dry Wellness Core.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:03 PM

380 posts, read 833,517 times
I echo the others.

Hi movintime,

It's certainly on topic

To rest the plaque myth once & for all: They have no teeth designed to grind, plus their jaws don't rotate.

The fact that a cat is incapable of chewing makes everybody else richer because then they can sell "hairball control" food/other nonsense for vomiting/ailing cats, when the whole time the poor things are merely shattering the kibble with their scissor-like teeth before swallowing it -- if not swallowing it whole altogether.

OP check out Dr. Lisa Pierson Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats