Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 07:25 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,665,527 times

Advertisements

I've had some time to think about what actually occurred yesterday with Rocky. The more I "understand" the workings of the cat's mind, the more amazed I am. Now, mind you, yes this is all observation on my part, my theory, but none-the-less, I believe is true.

Rocky is MY ROCK! He decided to go ahead of Whispers to check our vet out. The really odd thing this morning, is that oh, yes, he is breathing just fine. That stinker deliberately put his nose into things that made him sneeze and get all congested. One I can think of right off the top of my head is the pine litter. And then he deliberately would go near me to make sure I saw and heard him sniffle and sneeze, to make me think OMG! there is something wrong.

Oh, he played it up. Sad eyes, moping, not playing as he usually does. The bonus was the humungous furball, and how he managed that one, I will never know. The thing looked about as big as he is!

I observed him at the vet's yesterday. Calm. Curled up and sitting on the counter next to the sink, not making a sound, just hanging. I was so convinced that I would have to ask for a sedative for him to keep him calm, and then he acts like this is NO big deal! Huh?

Yes, I gave him Rescue Remedy and homeopathy to keep him calm. But his behavior went above and beyond.

That afternoon after the visit and home again, Rocky licked and licked Whispers, "talking" to him and comforting him. Then, the clincher. Playing, throwing his mink's tail up in the air, catching it, again and again, running chasing his tail. Does this sound like the picture of a sick cat?

I told him he owes Mom and Dad because now they are out $145 and caused Mom another case of the nerves. I am in awe that Rocky took it upon himself to go ahead of Whispers, to make sure everything is on the up and up (and I guess it is the way he was acting), and show that much love and concern for Whispers. Even though the majority of the boys are ignoring Whispers right now, they love him and they are extremely protective of him. They are ignoring him to get the message across that in order to be like them, he has to go through with the "big boys" initiation.

Some of these stories I tell you guys are just outright unbelievable, but they really are true. Oh, yes, Rocky was scared and in fact, wouldn't come out of the carrier, which had to be taken apart in order for me to get him out. Even though MY ROCK was scared to do this, he did it for his love of Whispers! Just amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 02:42 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post

If any of you follow my threads, I am always doing what is best for the cat. I am always making sure the cat's best interest is taken into consideration, even if that means banging my head several times, or making waves!

You don't know the waves I have made being insistent on having my cats out like a light before intubation so they have NO clue as to what is happening. My vet, being the wonderful woman she is, followed through with my firm resolutions that my cat is going to have surgery this way, and no other way.

Oh I'm so glad for you AND whiskers! That's fantastic! I'm fortunate that I've known my vet for over 20 years and actually worked there for several years in high school and college, and they (hubby and wife team) have always known and respected my wishes on the same exact matter!

I'm not looking forward to having to find a new vet once we finally move

Old 04-02-2011, 04:16 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
Oh I'm so glad for you AND whiskers! That's fantastic! I'm fortunate that I've known my vet for over 20 years and actually worked there for several years in high school and college, and they (hubby and wife team) have always known and respected my wishes on the same exact matter!

I'm not looking forward to having to find a new vet once we finally move
Over the years, you (we) have learned what we want in a vet or learned more about procedures, vaccinations, nutrition, etc. Being informed (or learning through unfortunate experiences) helps is to make better decisions when it comes to choosing a vet and/or being a part of the decision making concerning the care of our pets.

Good luck with your new adventures!

Old 04-02-2011, 04:25 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Your post resonnated with me. I have a 17 year old cat and we've moved to a new state and have a new Vet. I do not want to subject her to being knocked out for teeth cleaning, or being in any way upset. Of course, I want the best quality of life for her, but I am reluctant to even take her to the vet any more for fear of what they will think she needs (translation, how much $$ can they make on me).
All she does is sleep all day, and I want her to be happy, but I don't want her upset.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:46 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,584,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Your post resonnated with me. I have a 17 year old cat and we've moved to a new state and have a new Vet. I do not want to subject her to being knocked out for teeth cleaning, or being in any way upset. Of course, I want the best quality of life for her, but I am reluctant to even take her to the vet any more for fear of what they will think she needs (translation, how much $$ can they make on me).
All she does is sleep all day, and I want her to be happy, but I don't want her upset.
I don't blame you for feeling this way, especially with being in a new place and not knowing the new vet very well. When I brought my 14 yr. old cat to the vet yesterday, (not to our regular vet because he was booked solid and I needed her to be seen ASAP and not have to wait hours to be "squeezed in"), the vet we saw wanted to vaccinate her...I said NO WAY, my cat is 14, she had vaccinations all her young adult life, she's indoors 100% of the time, and I am NOT going to allow that. He looked at me like I was a bad mamma...I looked at him like he was a money-grubbing jerk who cares more about dollar signs than about the well-being of my baby .

Old 04-02-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I don't blame you for feeling this way, especially with being in a new place and not knowing the new vet very well. When I brought my 14 yr. old cat to the vet yesterday, (not to our regular vet because he was booked solid and I needed her to be seen ASAP and not have to wait hours to be "squeezed in"), the vet we saw wanted to vaccinate her...I said NO WAY, my cat is 14, she had vaccinations all her young adult life, she's indoors 100% of the time, and I am NOT going to allow that. He looked at me like I was a bad mamma...I looked at him like he was a money-grubbing jerk who cares more about dollar signs than about the well-being of my baby .
What is the "norm" for one vet, isn't for another. That's good that you stuck to your guns. MAYBE you planted a seed and that vet will reconsider his current thinking concerning vaccinations.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
If the proper drug was used, there is NO PAIN. If there was pain something was wrong. In my career as a Vet tech I held hundreds of animals as they were euthanized and not one of them screamed. It's a painless fast acting drug. You can Google "drugs used in euthanasia."

This was the correct procedure. They just doze off in seconds, go limp and die.
That is wonderful that you never had the experience of hearing a dog scream as it was being euthanized. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

MOST often a vet uses a mixed solution, not always. There IS more than one way to euthanize an animal, other than what you have learned. What is the norm for one vet. may not be the norm for another. That was my purpose for posting what I did.

Tuffy was in pain. I was there.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
That is wonderful that you never had the experience of hearing a dog scream as it was being euthanized. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

MOST often a vet uses a mixed solution, not always. There IS more than one way to euthanize an animal, other than what you have learned. What is the norm for one vet. may not be the norm for another. That was my purpose for posting what I did.

Tuffy was in pain. I was there.
Rep you if I could. I must get busy rep-ing.

I post what I post due to all vets are NOT the same, nor are all hospitals all the same. Unfortunately where I live, vet medicine seems to be in the stone age in some respects. I am making sure my mouth talks truth.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Gentlearts, if I were you, I would not bring my cat in to a vet unless it was an emergency! I really mean that. I know what it is like to care for "special" cats and I refuse, absolutely with no uncertainty, refuse to go with the NORM. I do what is right by my baby, and not what the "rules" say to do.

Luv, way to go for sticking to your guns! I am so proud of you! You planted a seed in that vet's stubborn head, whether he knows it or not!

Old 04-02-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Is your cat having any issues with her teeth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats