Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:46 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,670,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
The thing is, without knowing what kind of crystals, if any, the cranberry could make things worse.

Cranberry works by making the urine more acidic which can help if Oscar is forming struvite crystals.

However, it will make things worse if he is forming oxalate.

Until a urine culture is done, and you know what you are dealing with, no supplements (except rescue remedy) or drastic diet changes. Just get as much water into him as you can, feed canned food, no fish, and give him the buprenex every 12 hours.

If you feel his bladder is full, and he strains with no urine flow, rush him to the ER.

All paws crossed for Oscar.
True. Most cats' crystals are struvite crystals, BUT there is always a chance they could be oxalate. I agree about getting a urine sample. Thank you again, C21, for pointing this out. I deal with struvalite crystals in my cats, and I really forgot about the oxalate crystals. Sorry, No Kudzu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 12:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
Oscar has been eating and even resting a lot today. He was even playing -about 4:30 a.m. so how could I be mad at him. He seems to be OK and I will give him some of the left over pain rx from weeks ago after we wakes up.

Thanks all for your concern. I will get him into regular vet bright and early Monday morning for tests.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:17 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times
Just peeking in on Oscar, any update?

Old 04-10-2011, 09:16 AM

I can't tell if he is peeing or not- his bubba shares all the trays- but he sure is his usual naughty self, waking me up at 4:30 to play and cuddle. he ate his usual breakfast- small amount of wet but minutes later he threw up- but it wasn't cat food or hair ball, just alot of colored liquid. I can't wait to get him to the vet tomorrow. I've decided his throwing up and his peeing problems might be related. or not?

what tests can I ask for besides urine culture and blood test-but what will they check for with blood test? kidney disease?
I will go the maximum to get him well. He is so dear to us all.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:34 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,670,494 times
No kuzu, I would request a full panel blood draws and a urine sample. Now be prepared for the urine sample, for the vet will insert a large bored needle into your cat's bladder. Can you handle that? Other then that, I think for now that should be all. Depending on the results of what your cat's blood says, further treatment can be decided upon.

You are in my prayers. My goodness, so many here lately who need prayer! Angels be with you!

(((HUGS)))

Old 04-10-2011, 01:04 PM

Ask for a full blood panel..it may be called a SuperChem. That checks everything inside. Ask for a CBC (also a blood test). That checks for things like infection, anemia, and how healthy blood cells are. Your vet may not see any reason to check thyroid, but I would have it done all the same. ((T4, T3, Free T4,)

And the urine culture.

I've forgotten how old Oscar is, but even a young cat can have stuff going on inside. And if all is well, then good, you now have a base line for what is normal for Oscar, as he gets older. If there is somehting going on with kidneys, liver, thyroid, and so on, the sooner it's caught the better the chances.

The urine culture is what was mentioned before. It is sent out to a lab and various tests are done on the sample to determine things like presence of bacteria and what kind, presence of crystals and what kind.

As GOE stated the urine sample may be taken straight from the bladder. This is called Cystocentesis, and does not hurt kitty, it's the best way to get a sterile sample.

If nothing is found in the culture, then the vet will have to dig deeper, x ray and ultrasound to check for stones and tumors.

I suggest these tests because this is what I do for mine 1) if I suspect a problem and 2) routinely once they hit age 7.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:56 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Ask for a full blood panel..it may be called a SuperChem. That checks everything inside. Ask for a CBC (also a blood test). That checks for things like infection, anemia, and how healthy blood cells are. Your vet may not see any reason to check thyroid, but I would have it done all the same. ((T4, T3, Free T4,)

And the urine culture.

I suggest these tests because this is what I do for mine 1) if I suspect a problem and 2) routinely once they hit age 7.
Yes!
Here, they call it a "General Health Panel" and it covers a CBC (blood panel) as well as a chemistry panel and electrolytes. It will tell you if liver or kidney values are off, which is one of my greatest concerns with older animals...if it's caught quickly, it can usually be managed through diet and other natural methods, but caught too late......well, let's just say I went through that once, and learned that lesson the hard way, losing one of my 11 yr. old babies to liver failure . If I could tell every pet owner out there only one thing, it would be to have these tests done regularly in order to avoid that kind of heartbreak...if I can save even just a handful of animals from going down the way my Humphrey I. did, his suffering will not have been in vain.

All fingers, toes, and paws are crossed for Oscar and you...(((HUGS)))!

Old 04-11-2011, 01:29 PM

Oscar had a great weekend, playing, peeing, eating and not at all depressed. When I went to look for him to take to the vet for his blood test, he had hidden pretty well. He just now showed up and is so happy I have decided to spare him - and me- the trauma of getting in the carrier and going to the vet. I will watch him and see if he has anymore pee issues and if he does take him immediately to the vet. I have even left a few plastic bags close to all the places I might observe and see and hear if he tries to pee on them again.

Is it wishful thinking to think he may have just had two isolated incidents?

Also he has not puked in 2 days. I have been giving him some laxatone so maybe that is working. I will let you know. I will take him in for the full blood work up when he does go. Also I have decided not to skip the senior testing the vet recommends for 8 year old Lucy, the Bichon. I think I would hate myself if the vet were to tell me "Oh this could have been cured if only we had caught it in the early stages."

Old 04-11-2011, 01:40 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,433,650 times
Great to hear he's seeming better! Hope his tests come out good.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the update on Oscar. I'm glad he's doing better.

I do urge you to not put off getting the urine culture done. You need to know what's going on. A neutered male cat has a very narrow urethra and can block suddenly, without warning, or prior symptoms.

A blockage is fatal within 24 hours without veterinary treatment. And extremely painful. You never forget the sound of a blocked male screaming in pain. Yes, it will be stressful for him, but the alternative is worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats