Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 04:05 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times

Advertisements

OK wouldn't you know it would happen on Friday afternoon.
Oscar is doing what he did almost three weeks ago. Trying to pee on plastic bag, in the kids art tray, etc. I rushed him to the vet, she put saline solution under his skin with antibiotic-just like last time. Got him home and now he is trying to pee all over the place and a tiny bit is actually coming out. He used to "spray" with the quivering tail but nothing ever came out but today a bit did come out.

Vet told me he would be able to pee this weekend with treatment she gave him so how long should that take? Also his bladder was not at all full, they could barely feel it. I was supposed to take him back Monday for blood test and they would try to get some urine out of him to test. It was too late in the day and week for any tests to be sent anywhere.

Question: How long should I wait for him to pee to take him to emergency clinic?
Isn't it a good sign his bladder is not full? The last time, he got antibiotic and I was told it should last a little over 2 weeks so it looks to me like he is right on schedule.

Also- he was on the recalled WELLNESS cat food and vet suggested his problems may be from that bad food. She also suggested they might help with his expenses.
Anybody ever had a cat food company pay for treatment after a recall?

Oscar is the unipuker and I was surprised to see he has gone from 17 lbs down to a little over 13. He is so furry - Ragdoll- I had't even noticed and he has kept some food down and up till now he has been peeing and pooping just fine.
Any words of wisdom for me this weekend. The emergency clinic is 30 minutes away and my son had 3 hours of knee surgery this morning so I really don't want to leave him for vet trip.

We also have his brother, Langley but he seems to be OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 04:15 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,495,767 times
If Oscar is eating dry food, I would be concerned. The Wellness recall had to do with it being deficient in Thiamine. I have not read where a B1 deficiency in cats would cause this particular problem. ??

I have been where you are at with our Leonard. After he was seen by the vet and brought home, he would potty a little (and often) and the amount would increase each time. We put him in a room by himself, with his own litter box, so we could monitor his output accurately and keep him stress free from the other cats. As long as his output was increasing each time, there was less to worry about. If I remember correctly, he was normal within 24 hours.

Call the vet! Ask the vet how long it should take for Oscar to pee normally.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:08 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,669,610 times
I agree with Lola. For your peace of mind, call your vet and get a ball park figure on how much time you should wait for Oscar to pee.

(((HUGS))) My heart goes out to you!

Old 04-08-2011, 07:43 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
Thanks. He peed a little bit just now in the tray. I will watch him like a hawk all weekend and take immediate action if I feel he can't wait till Monday. It will be a long weekend.
I love him dearly just as you all love and cherish your furkids. I just hope we aren't starting down the path of serious illness and heartbreak.

GOE-I can't even imagine what you have been thru with Molly and I know so many of my CD friends have had so much to go thru. Hope I have the patience and strength to get us all thru our travails.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Thanks. He peed a little bit just now in the tray. I will watch him like a hawk all weekend and take immediate action if I feel he can't wait till Monday. It will be a long weekend.
I love him dearly just as you all love and cherish your furkids. I just hope we aren't starting down the path of serious illness and heartbreak.

GOE-I can't even imagine what you have been thru with Molly and I know so many of my CD friends have had so much to go thru. Hope I have the patience and strength to get us all thru our travails.
Ya just can't give up. When you fall, get right back up and dust yourself off. Have faith that God will ONLY give you as much as you can handle, even on those days when your knees are knocking and you are clutching on a wall to keep from passing out. With LOVE in your heart, you can do anything, and I mean anything.

As of tonight, you are in my prayers. God bless you and may angels guide you every step of the way in what to do about your baby. Peace.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:30 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,192 times
Poor Oscar, and poor you! I'm sorry you guys are going through this again, especially after your son just had knee surgery...when it rains, it pours!

Are you supplementing with anything that might help his urinary tract health? Here's a link for things you can talk to your vet about to see if they could help...

Natural Herbal Remedies for Urinary Blockages in Cats | eHow.com

One of the things mentioned in this link is raw, organic, unrefined apple cider vinegar...it restores the body's natural ph, in a cat's case bringing it back to the highly acidic levels needed to both process meat efficiently and help the body break up/dissolve urine crystals. It sounds to me like maybe Oscar's ph levels are off and this could be causing the frequent vomiting...I could be way off base here, it's just a gander...but as long as your vet says it's safe to try it along with whatever other medication Oscar is on, it's something you might want to try.

Sending good vibes and prayers your way for a speedy recovery for both Oscar and your son!

Old 04-09-2011, 06:14 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,591,664 times
It's the pain and irritation making him try to squat all the time. If he is peeing little bits it does mean he isn't blocked. Usually it means he just isn't making pee fast enough to keep up with the constant squatting.

If you have some pain medicine for him, give it to him, it will help him feel better and have less stress over the pain and urgency to pee. Or call and ask for some.

I think it's time you had the urine culture done to see what's going on. It sounds to me like he's got crystals of some kind or another, extremely painful condition.

Wellness is not all that great a food for cats with urinary tract problems, contrary to their own claims, (but I highly doubt a thiamine deficiency had anything to do with it).

Oscar may need to be on a prescription food for his entire life, some cats do, but a urine culture needs to be done first to determine what kind of crystals, if any, he is forming.

If the culture doesn't show anything an xray and/or ultrasound to look for stones is the next step.

If his bladder fills and stays full, of course a trip to the ER is in order as a blockage is a fatal condition.

All paws crossed for Oscar.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:16 AM

PS give him watery meals to help dilute his urine. It may help him pee easier.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:23 AM

^^^ great advice. I have used something called CranRx, one-half capsule mixed in an oral syringe with water and I can tell you it really helps. Adding water to food too, helps immensely. The more water you can get in your baby the better. I was giving Whispers water in an oral syringe, about 50cc at a time, three times a day, when he had his UTI. Along with the CranRx, pain and anxiety addressed, his UTI cleared up and he was peeing like a "race horse".

Crossing all paws here for you!

Thank you, C21.....pain medicine right now is a must. I would be using as well, Rescue Remedy to keep your cat nice and calm. The calmer he is, and the less pain he is in, the more of a chance he will pee.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
^^^ great advice. I have used something called CranRx, one-half capsule mixed in an oral syringe with water and I can tell you it really helps. Adding water to food too, helps immensely. The more water you can get in your baby the better. I was giving Whispers water in an oral syringe, about 50cc at a time, three times a day, when he had his UTI. Along with the CranRx, pain and anxiety addressed, his UTI cleared up and he was peeing like a "race horse".

Crossing all paws here for you!

Thank you, C21.....pain medicine right now is a must. I would be using as well, Rescue Remedy to keep your cat nice and calm. The calmer he is, and the less pain he is in, the more of a chance he will pee.
The thing is, without knowing what kind of crystals, if any, the cranberry could make things worse.

Cranberry works by making the urine more acidic which can help if Oscar is forming struvite crystals.

However, it will make things worse if he is forming oxalate.

Until a urine culture is done, and you know what you are dealing with, no supplements (except rescue remedy) or drastic diet changes. Just get as much water into him as you can, feed canned food, no fish, and give him the buprenex every 12 hours.

If you feel his bladder is full, and he strains with no urine flow, rush him to the ER.

All paws crossed for Oscar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats