Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 04:58 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,670,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Are there other Vets you can use that charge less? What are the other Vets charging for the same services in you area?
Don't have the answers to your questions. But this I can tell you. I have found a wonderful vet and regardless of what she must bill us due to the hospital she works out of, I am NOT about to go looking for any other vet. My vet and I work well together, she is open minded regarding the ways in which I heal, and she is willing to work with me on the phone. It is not a matter of money to us. It is a matter of QUALITY of care. I know a good vet when I see one. I see.

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 04-26-2011 at 05:17 PM..

Old 04-26-2011, 05:05 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,004,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Agreed...there's no way to enforce a law like this unless each and every home is visited regularly by the "Kitty Police" and all records for each cat checked.
They said the same thing in TN and NYC. In NYC they came around to every house to make sure every dog was licensed. NYC is a huge city. It took time. It worked. We had to show them our dog's lic. tag. You wont see many strays there anymore. It can be done with cats as well. Some cities require cats be lic. and kept on a leash or indoors. This too can be enforced and so can s/n. In many gated communities neither cats or dogs are allowed to roam free, fixed or not. Oh, and it cost money to get a dog Lic. It wasn't free.

Quote:
Who would be willing to pay for this? No one. To avoid fines, people would be dumping their in-tact cats and the situation would get even worse...people are already unwilling to shell out a small amount of money or spend the time to take their cats to the many low-cost S/N clinics out there, and the threat of being fined further if they're caught with an in-tact cat in their home makes the cat a "liability" and a "hassle" in their eyes. With shelters overflowing, this is the LAST thing we or the homeless cats of this world need .
That's a short sight... look at the long term. Anyone who really wanted a cat would get it s/n and spend what was necessary to have the tag or papers for it. Like the leash law here in TN, it wouldn't show results overnight. But it would be a step in the right direction. Breeders would be exempt. Those who didn't really love or want a cat wouldn't bother getting one. They wouldn't want the hassle, the expense or the fine if caught.

Quote:
Most shelters already S/N kittens before they adopt them out, and I think this is a better way of dealing with it...every breeder, shelter and individual selling (or giving away) kittens should have to wait until they are at least 6 months old and S/N'd at their own expense before relinquishing them to anyone.
As for the individual - that would be wonderful but how would that be enforced? It's the same problem isn't it?

Why wait 6 months? They s/n kittens as young as 3 months old here. Prices vary. Low-cost clinics exist. Some places go by weight and do them if over 2 lbs.

Snip.....

Last edited by =^..^=; 04-26-2011 at 06:09 PM..

Old 04-26-2011, 05:11 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,689,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Don't have the answers to your questions. But this I can tell you. I have found a wonderful vet and regardless of what she must bill us due to the hospital she works out of, I am NOT about to go looking for any other vet. My vet and I work well together, she is open minded regarding the ways in which I heal, and she is willing to work with me on the phone. It is not a matter of money to us. It is a matter of QUALITY of care. I know a good vet when I see when. I see.
I can respect wanting to use the Vet that your most comfortable with and trust, but isn't this whole venting missplaced? Your complaining about the high cost of Vet care but you have choosen to use the high price Vet even if cheaper alternative is available.

If the cost of a vaccine is $25 average amongst all the Vet's in an area but you decided to only use the crystal palace vet that charge $100 for the same shot, that is not a complaint of high cost vet care because much cheaper options were avilable that you decided not to use. hate to say it but you just deflated your whole basis of the complaining.

You can't complain about the high cost of cars if you are only shopping at the cadillac dealer and not shopping anywhere else!

Old 04-26-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I can respect wanting to use the Vet that your most comfortable with and trust, but isn't this whole venting missplaced? Your complaining about the high cost of Vet care but you have choosen to use the high price Vet even if cheaper alternative is available.

If the cost of a vaccine is $25 average amongst all the Vet's in an area but you decided to only use the crystal palace vet that charge $100 for the same shot, that is not a complaint of high cost vet care because much cheaper options were avilable that you decided not to use. hate to say it but you just deflated your whole basis of the complaining.

You can't complain about the high cost of cars if you are only shopping at the cadillac dealer and not shopping anywhere else!
What do you have against a healthy outlet for venting? MANY people here have posted regarding the high cost of vet bills, and that is one of the reasons why I started this thread. Again, I am not complaining, but venting, and allowing others to do as well.

And as to your reference to a good vet as the "crystal palace" are you for real? Nothing I have said you heard, which is preeeeety evident in your posts. Your reasoning is skewed, for I have spoken in very clear English here why I have made the choices I have due to my cats being special needs.

.......Are you getting me upset as your intention is to do? No.

Oh, I have shopped around....FYI......and ran into some real SOB's. Is that clear enough for you? Do you understand that lingo? I LIKE MY VET NOW but that doesn't mean the prices we pay OUCH don't hurt sometimes. I am of the mind to NOT STUFF THINGS DOWN because it is UNHEALTHY. Venting is HEALTHY as long as you do it a positive manner. And as others can attest, this thread for the most part has maintained a healthy tone.

What do you think group therapy is based on????

Old 04-26-2011, 05:31 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,004,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip8056 View Post
I agree with your vents about how high vet bills are and share your frustration.

I live in NY- and it's not unusual for a spay / neuter cost to run $600. I volunteer at an animal shelter in Westchester and even in this "wealthy" area, you wouldn't believe how many people balk at the adoption fees even when all the spay / neuter / vaccinations / meds are included. (We're talking $100 for a kitten, $150 for a puppy, $50 for adult dogs and cats). That is a BARGAIN. If you found a kitten / puppy on the street and had to actually pay for the above, you'd be spending several times that amount. The inability of some to process this through their thick skulls is stunning.
These are the people you find getting free kittens on Craigslist. They wont pay for kittens when they know they can get them for free. They don't care about the shots or s/n. That's meaningless to them. It's a whole different mentality than we see on boards like this. I paid $65 for Zebulon at 4 1/2 months old. He was fully vetted and only needed his rabies shot, given here at 6 months of age = $10 to $15. I felt I got a wonderful bargain. The girls came from a shelter at $104 each plus a spay voucher. Still a good deal. But so few people here are willing to pay that much so get on Craigslist........ with no s/n laws at all those gotten on CL are soon producing kittens of their own.

Quote:
The shelter had a "special" on cat adoptions - $5 per cat. (This was provided the applicant was still screened pretty vigorously to weed out sickos.) I and many others STILL thought this was a horrible idea. You don't want the type of person who will nickel / dime/ bargain shop for adoption fees to be adopting!
But these work and empty the shelters. One can only hope the kitties get decent homes and many are already fixed.

Quote:
I currently have 3 rescued cats- 2 older and 1 kitten. The kitten was rescued from death row at Animal Care & Control in NYC. His neutering was free, and they were so glad someone was taking him, they waived the adoption fee. Monkey is such a joy to have around.
Wonderful! Way to go.

Quote:
Have to say thank goodness for pet insurance, or I would be in the poor house. I just have accident / injury coverage, but at $20 / month per cat (or I pay a lump sum of less than that at the beginning of the policy), I found it to be well worth it. Saved my behind and has already paid for itself.
My lovebug, Mickey - I adopted at age 11, had him for 6 months when we found out he most likely had a cancerous tumor in his soft palate. Even the diagnostic stuff to determine just what the hell this was was so expensive. $4,000 by the time all was said and done and my sweet baby crossed the Rainbow Bridge. That's without a $1,500 MRI (which I didn't do because at that point, we were seeing it was an untenable situation.) I had ASPCA insurance and know it wasn't the best coverage, but I was reimbursed at $2950. It was more than I expected. Right after, my other cat Chico needed a mast cell tumor removed (ka-ching! $800!) I got $600 back.
And I hear and read people complain about these pet insurances. If you just have accident / injury coverage, how did you get them to cover the testing etc? I'm sorry you lost your cat Mickey.

Quote:
It never ends in my house. My other cat bit him a few weeks ago and to treat the infected bite (it had abcessed and I never even saw the bite until it did!) $500. Got back close to $300. Pasquale (the biter) just had to be treated for severe ear infections from when he was in the shelter. $500 again. I have PetPlan for him, and I am about to find out how good the plan is. I've read some very good reviews for PetPlan and hope I find those reviews to be true.
Please let us know.

Quote:
So, not sure how feasible this is for someone who has 15 rescues (GOE, you really are an angel and thank goodness for people like you.), but for those like me, I would highly recommend.

My OWN health insurance has changed for the worse, and I joke that my pets' insurance is better than mine.
Thank God for Medicare and supplements.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:10 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,496,489 times
I got the impression that GOE was "sticker" shocked. Plain and simple. She likes her vet. She trusts her vet. She has great communication with her vet. She pays the fees her vet charges her.
I think MOST people are thrown for a loop for unplanned vet bills, car repairs, etc. That doesn't mean they run out on the bill. I would assume she pays her vet bills, or she wouldn't be a repeat customer. ??

While I am at it... I don't always "get" GOE. To ME she is different. Different form ME. Does that make her wrong? No. It is no skin off my nose if she believes that walking around her cats in circles 8 times will make their eyes glow. (GOE- I am NOT making in fun of you. Just trying to make a point.)

What is the point of wanting to tear down someone all the time?

/rant

Old 04-26-2011, 06:15 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,288,785 times
People, please remain on topic and be careful about what you post. This is a forum for people who love cats & wish to share ideas about how to care for them. it is NOT a debating forum or a place to look for ways to be demeaning to others.
Thanks for your cooperation.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-26-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
I got the impression that GOE was "sticker" shocked. Plain and simple. She likes her vet. She trusts her vet. She has great communication with her vet. She pays the fees her vet charges her.
I think MOST people are thrown for a loop for unplanned vet bills, car repairs, etc. That doesn't mean they run out on the bill. I would assume she pays her vet bills, or she wouldn't be a repeat customer. ??

While I am at it... I don't always "get" GOE. To ME she is different. Different form ME. Does that make her wrong? No. It is no skin off my nose if she believes that walking around her cats in circles 8 times will make their eyes glow. (GOE- I am NOT making in fun of you. Just trying to make a point.)

What is the point of wanting to tear down someone all the time?

/rant
Lola, God bless you. And I mean it. Some ears just refuse to hear what some people say in this thread. I was sticker shocked, simple as that. And that is as far as it goes. I knew how I felt when I got the bill, so I opened this thread to allow others here to get it off their chests how they too at times are shocked.

I know you are not making fun of me, Lola. I admit right up front I am different, my ways are not the norm, but yet, they do work. No, they are not for everyone........even my own family can't figure me out. Maybe I am about 100 years before the time when the things I do will be the norm. I don't know. (((HUGS)))

Old 04-26-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I don't mean to be rude or unkind, but it seems anyone who questions you or disagrees with you, upsets you. When posting on Forums as we do, people will do that.
Not true, Kitty. I don't take kindly to people who deliberately go out of their ways to make me look bad. Just because you don't agree with my ways, doesn't mean I have to take a battering here almost every day I post. Simple as that.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:33 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,496,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Lola, God bless you. And I mean it. Some ears just refuse to hear what some people say in this thread. I was sticker shocked, simple as that. And that is as far as it goes. I knew how I felt when I got the bill, so I opened this thread to allow others here to get it off their chests how they too at times are shocked.

I know you are not making fun of me, Lola. I admit right up front I am different, my ways are not the norm, but yet, they do work. No, they are not for everyone........even my own family can't figure me out. Maybe I am about 100 years before the time when the things I do will be the norm. I don't know. (((HUGS)))
Glad you understood my far out example. (Scratch the word "far out" ....just in case you DO walk around your cats 8 times.)

I'm off to the politics board. Those people seem to get along better....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats