Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 03:52 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times

Advertisements

as yall know, im an animal nut...
and im currently raising a littler of 3 kittens who turned 4 weeks old yesterday...

you also probbaly know this isnt my first litter of baby critters, ive raised more kittens, puppies, birds, even exotics than i care to even keep track of these days...

anywho...
i got a call form a neighbor that whent like this...
"i heard you had kittens"
"my female cat had kittens yes...
"i want one, when can i pick it up..."
"umm im sorry, i dont know who youve been talking to, but all 3 kittens have homes lined up"
"well tell one of them there out of luck, i can come by today"
"sorry but the people whove been promised kittens have been strictly screened and i will not tell them ther out of luck simply because you want a kitten...besides, they wont be ready for at least another 4 weeks..."
"well i want one, and your going to let me have one or there will be a world of trouble for you"
"sorry mam, but thats not how it works, all the kittens have been spoken for and if you threaten me again ill be filing a formal report with the police"
*click*

then i get an email from an aquaintence from back in highschool stating she knew i had kittens and she was interested...
i explained that all the kittens had homes and her reply was "oh thats awesome" then she started asking me all kinds of questions about how i raise kittens.

now let me say this...
i raise animals the same way no matter what species they are...
and that method is as naturally as possible...
i truly belive that momma knows best in these situations and i base everything i do on how SHE is reacting...
i also belive in highly socilizing and exposing baby animals to lots of different stimuli from day one.

in the case of these kittens, from day one they have interacted with my dogs, momma cat was ok with this and so i let it continue (supervised only) ive handled them, touched them, played with them clipped nails ect.
yesterday was their 1mth birthday and over the past few days momma has been spending less time with them, so going from her behaviour i put a small bowl of wet food in the playpen with them and theyve all been picking at food no problems, of course momma is still going in and feeding too...i practice somethign called abundance weaning, momma will continue to feed them as long as she deems nessicary but they will also be given acess to kitten apropriate wet food now that they have teeth and are showing interest.

well i suddenly get an email back stating im a horrible person, how dare i give the kittens wet food, or let the dogs neer them, or touch them, they NEED to be alone with momma 24/7 for the first 6 weeks (wtf) and whent on to say how i abuse my animals ect...

next thing i know before i had chance to even respond to the email...
theres aknock on the door and the dogs are going nutz...animal control is stood there, aparently there had been "multiple complaints" about my animals...

thankfully our animal control officers are not idiots, they came in cooed over the babies, said hi to jack jack, who thought it was absolutly hilarious that hed say hi and theyd respond EVERY TIME...they commented on how clean and well kept everything is and how my animals all look amazing, then i had them call my vet to confirm if it would set their minds at ease, they called her and she gave rave reveiws...

turns out the woman whod called is the mother of the girl i knew from highschool and they wanted a kitten...when i told them they couldnt have one they called animal control (seperatly so there would be multiple complaints) and started spouting off on how im a mill, how dirty everything is my aniamls are kept in tiny cages and ive taken the kittens form momma at 4 weeks old and not letting her feed them, so i can sell them next week...
*rolls eyes*

i showed them the kitten set up and said "honestly?!" they both laughed told me everything was fine and no further reports would be filed then told me to call and file a report with the police and gave me their case number for the cops to reference for harrasment.

i wasnt going to...figured they tried and would move on...but then get another email telling me there going to make my life a living hell and im going to come home one day and the kittens will be gone...
at that point i called the cops, filed a report and sent them a copy of the emails...

the police told them to stop the behaviour and if they didnt charges would be filled...
so we'll see what happens...

i mean REALY? that kind of behaviour because you want a kitten, the shelters are full of them, craigslist is swimming in litters of kittens right now, its not like its THAT hard to find a kitten.
and how the heck did they even know i had kittens, other than family, the people adopting the kittens and the vets office, noone knows...*sigh*

people are sooooo odd...
but at least animal control were inteligent...

i always worry as ive had experiences in the past where i swear monkeys could do a better job...
at one point i was in petco with jasper as a puppy and a woman called animal cntrol and the cops because i had a baby hyena...
worse was that animal control belived her even After seeing my dog...because he had spots and only dalmations have spots...then when i finally convinced them jasper is a DOG...a chinese crested to be presice they decided he was hairless because he had mange and tried to get him taken away for health issues...
i literally had to fight and call the vet to confirm that ther is indeed a number of breeds of hairless dogs, and that some of them are speckled and that they are not hairless because of mange and that jasper is infact a hairless breed of dog. *head desk*

and folks wonder why i want to move out into the country away from people...
realy... its so i dont have to deal with this sillyness.

sorry...just realy needed to rant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 04:37 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Been saying it for years: people are stupid. Glad the animal control folks were not.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:50 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,032 times
Ah, Foxy, what idiots, absolutely complete idiots some people are. I am so sorry you are going through this hell. How downright wrong! People's heads are screwed on backwards, or at least some of them are!

For this VERY reason, I keep a VERY low profile regarding what I do and with whom. Only my neighbors and family know just how many felines I have in this house. I don't need any do gooder, or wise-butt nosy idiota to notify authorities due to my "health hazard" here.

Darn it, if I was your neighbor I'd want to ram it up you know whosie's butt how they treated you! Gosh darn, people are so dense, so stupid, and so dang selfish! You work so hard and you are so good at what you do......

ARGH! Grrrr.......hang in there, Foxy, and boy am I ever glad the authorities have their heads screwed on right!

Old 04-16-2011, 05:27 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
All I can say is wow. Hope they move on to some other nutty project now.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:45 PM

thanks guys.

people like these folks always amaze me, i can only assume one of the vet techs let it slip, these folks have 2 or 3 cats if i remmeber rightly so thats the only place it would make sense.

either way, im hoping i hear nothing more from them, trying to move is stressfull enough, figuring out how to move with 2 cats, 2 dogs a macaw, 2 parakeets and a couple bucketfulls of fish even more so..
but adding crazy neighbors getting in the way...yeah no need for that.

in other news though, so far so good on the looking to move part, heading to tn next week (weds-weds) to look at some houses, ive already got a favorite *fingers crossed*

Old 04-16-2011, 06:25 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
OMG, I do NOT know how you were able to handle that, I was L-I-V-I-D after reading your OP. W-T-F indeed.

It always amazes me that there are people that vile and wretched in the world, who would retaliate in such a spiteful way b/c you didn't give them what they wanted, even though you were so reasonable.

I am so sorry you had to go to high school with someone like that and that she still haunts you. I wouldn't be able to handle it. Thank heavens Animal Care and Control are sane.

And please report every single one of those emails to the authorities. Maybe some jail time (or a hefty fine) will teach those women some manners!

Old 04-16-2011, 06:49 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
OMG, I do NOT know how you were able to handle that, I was L-I-V-I-D after reading your OP. W-T-F indeed.

It always amazes me that there are people that vile and wretched in the world, who would retaliate in such a spiteful way b/c you didn't give them what they wanted, even though you were so reasonable.

I am so sorry you had to go to high school with someone like that and that she still haunts you. I wouldn't be able to handle it. Thank heavens Animal Care and Control are sane.

And please report every single one of those emails to the authorities. Maybe some jail time (or a hefty fine) will teach those women some manners!
Jail time......hmmmm.....sounds just like the right sort of medicine to me! Maybe a little time in the slammer will open their eyes as to the ugliness they are contributing in this world! Great post, Starla!

Old 04-16-2011, 07:29 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
What a pain in the ass. Sounds like your acquaintance from high school never left high school ... Glad you bested them. Keep the faith!

Old 04-16-2011, 07:33 PM

so far i havent heard anything since the police officer aparently gave them a talking to lol.
hopefully thats where it ends...
i realy dont have the paitents for stupid people and this case obviously took the cake...
if animal control hadnt been so nice about the whole thing i probably would have had a meltdown, but they simply explained theyd had a complaint and were following up and i had every right to refuse them entrance ect...and they were just so enamoured by my macaw and then cooing over the kittens, and one of the guys was this huge beast of a man, must have been 6'4" and a linebacker, and he just turned to much when jasper, whos 5lbs of nekkid alien beasty...did his "pay attention to me" dance...

even better, dopey and her mother decided to call animal control on my "deep clean" day, so the bird cages were SPOTLESS, litterboxes all completly fresh litter fishtank scrubbed and topped up lol.
not saying my place or cages ect are ever dirty enough to be a problem...but today of all days, everything was SPOTLESS *evil laugh*
take that silly selfish people, trying to report ME for not keeping my animals how they shoudl eb kept...

I told the ac officer...my animals get better food, toys, cloathing blankets and stuff than i ever get myself...lol
the dogs are eating organic chicken and im eating ramen LOL!

Old 04-16-2011, 07:35 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
I'm glad animal control had brains.

We all deal with people who have nothing better to do than cause people trouble. That said, these people sound psychotic. I'd probably have a body guard if I were you.

Some people just like to play the victim so they create villains.

Anyway, I hope everything works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats