Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 10:06 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,554,950 times

Advertisements

We have a beautiful little stray in our 'hood. She looks like a Persian mix. Pitch black with bright green eyes. I have lived here for 13 years and she has always been here. She is petite but has recently gotten pretty chunky. I think she has gotten everyone in the neighborhood to feed her. Many have tried to take her in but she won't tolerate a house for more than 5 minutes. She is really a sweetheart and such an affection hound. We all love her. Apparently, she was some previous neighbors cat (who has since moved) as she is spayed (one caring neighbor took her to the vet for shots and found this out).

I was petting her tonight (OMG, she is so soft!) and noticed large knots of fur all around her neck. I have always had short haired cats that don't have issues like this. Because she is such a sweetie, I believe she would let me help her with these knots.

My question is, what is the best way -- cut them out or try to comb her every day and work them out? Ideally, I wish I could take her to a groomer and get her shaved for the summer (it grows back, right?) but I don't know if she would tolerate a car ride and she is not up to date on shots. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 10:16 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
We have a beautiful little stray in our 'hood. She looks like a Persian mix. Pitch black with bright green eyes. I have lived here for 13 years and she has always been here. She is petite but has recently gotten pretty chunky. I think she has gotten everyone in the neighborhood to feed her. Many have tried to take her in but she won't tolerate a house for more than 5 minutes. She is really a sweetheart and such an affection hound. We all love her. Apparently, she was some previous neighbors cat (who has since moved) as she is spayed (one caring neighbor took her to the vet for shots and found this out).

I was petting her tonight (OMG, she is so soft!) and noticed large knots of fur all around her neck. I have always had short haired cats that don't have issues like this. Because she is such a sweetie, I believe she would let me help her with these knots.

My question is, what is the best way -- cut them out or try to comb her every day and work them out? Ideally, I wish I could take her to a groomer and get her shaved for the summer (it grows back, right?) but I don't know if she would tolerate a car ride and she is not up to date on shots. Any advice?
.....meanwhile sweetie has decimated the local songbird population and probably helped vector diseases to other cats in the neighborhood.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:18 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
She is lucky to have you.....I would just snip-snip as long as you can do it safely for the cat and you...

wouldn't want you to lose a fingertip because a frightened cat went really wild

Old 04-29-2011, 10:27 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,554,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
.....meanwhile sweetie has decimated the local songbird population and probably helped vector diseases to other cats in the neighborhood.
No, that would be our cat and up until recently, our dog (bird killers, not disease givers). Our little neighborhood stray is a senior citizen that has actually been declawed and might have arthritis in her back legs. I think it is safe to say that her bird killing days are over. Her territory isn't very big either -- maybe an acre at most (we have postage stamp yards and she stays within the area of only 5 or so houses). As far as disease, she is the healthiest stray I have ever seen and she has been taken to the vet by various do-gooders. And, as my bird feeder attests to, we have plenty of birds still thriving around here.

Honestly, she is more like an outdoor cat with multiple owners than a total stray.

FYI, I call her Fluffy Kitty and my neighbors call her Munchkin.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:49 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
you will probably have the best luck with cutting the mats out. it would take too long and be very painful to comb real mats out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats