Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 04:53 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,615 times

Advertisements

I plan on buying a scratching post or 2 but I'm assuming I'll still need to clip the back ones at a minimum.

Do you all clip your cat's nails? If so how often? Have any tips for getting them to learn to allow you to do it? I want to start getting her used to it early so it will be easier. Oh, and any tips what kind of clippers to buy or tips to not hit the quick?

For those of you who don't, do you take to the vet to get done or a groomer or what? How much is it and how often do you do it?

As always, sorry for so many questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 05:01 PM

461 posts, read 1,314,257 times
Yep, I clip all of the nails. Maybe once a month or so. Just depends on how long/sharp they are getting. I started from the time they were kittens and I don't have too many horror stories since they are used to it. I hold them in my lap, similar to how you would sit a baby or toddler. I have a friend who swaddles hers in a towel. I just bought a small clipper from the grocery store or pet store for about $5. Start by just taking off the very tip. My cats nails are clear and you can see the quick really well. Once you do it a few times, you will become confident and know not to cut too much. Luckily, I've never knicked them. I find it SO much easier than dragging a screaming cat to the vet. Also, surprisingly, the front nails are always so much longer than the back. I thought it would be the opposite.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:28 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
I do the same, and it just depends on how long they get, but it's usually about once a month. Snickers just lays in my lap and lets me cut them. After I finish, he gets a cat treat for every foot. I just use regular toenail clippers, and they work fine.

Last edited by moved; 07-25-2011 at 06:37 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 06:37 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
I clip all 5 of my cat's nails. I just hold them on their back in my arms and pull one foot out at a time and clip it. I always find it funny that as I start w/ the first cat, one by one the others start hiding.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:56 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
We clip nails at least once a month. Our girl has a habit of kneading her paws while she's in your lap, and if we don't keep them trimmed down she gets a lot less love.

You're on the right track by starting young. Start with small steps- just pick her up and handle her feet for ten seconds or so, then give her a treat. Squeeze them very gently, and increase the amount of time you hold them (no more than thirty-sixty seconds- it doesn't take long at all to trim nails, and you don't want to make it uncomfortable for her). Then you can start trimming a few nails at a time, again rewarding her with treats after.

We did this with Jonas, and I can trim all his nails in one go with ease. He'll hop off my lap afterward and turn right back around and wait for his treat. Robin, our female, was adopted as an adult, and I have to basically sit on her to get the job done.

Luckily, cat's nails are clear, so the quick is very visible- just only trim the sharp pointy tips and avoid any pink areas. The front nails do get much sharper than the back- the back retract less, so they get worn down more. A scratching post is great and essential, but it won't actually trim your cat's nails- it helps them wear off the outer sheath and keeps the nail healthy. I would also HIGHLY suggest a cardboard scratcher- it's just a piece of corrugated cardboard that lies flat on the floor (some have a slant or ripple). My cats go nuts over them and use them much more often than their posts. First thing in the morning before breakfast they both run over and go to town digging at it...I've given them as gifts, and always get rave reports back.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:22 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,337,594 times
We trim Finn's front claws at least once a month, because they grow in such perfect curves that if we don't, he gets himself caught in the carpet when he races around the livingroom. In fact, when he first came home from the humane society, he was recovering from two torn claws, which I suspect had gotten caught and pulled at some point a few weeks prior - poor kitty. He is very willing to let me clip his claws, and even enjoys having me play with his feet; he'll lay on his back in my lap and stretch his toes out so I can massage between them, purring all the while.

I use a regular nail clipper, not a special tool for kitty claws, and I'm always very careful to just clip the clear part at the end. It's better to clip them regularly if you can; the quick (the pink part) will extend too far down the nail if you let them grow too long. I usually time clipping for when Finn is feeling snuggly and affectionate, and it generally goes well. I will say that on occasion, he'll let me know that he's had enough and the other foot needs to wait for later, and I never push the issue. I always get them all eventually.

Not sure how our new boycat is going to react to getting his nails clipped. The adoption coordinator at the rescue association gave him a clipping when we picked him up, and he didn't act too happy about it, but that could have had a lot to do with everything else that was going on at that point, too. At least I know I can give him a month or so to settle in before I need to worry about going after his claws again.

Good luck with your kitty!

Old 07-25-2011, 08:54 PM

18,104 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Yep, I clip my cat's nails, about every 2 weeks. The front paws are all she will tolerate and that, only barely, and sometimes I can only do one or two nails at a time. I use those special cat nail scissors. After 2 years of this you'd think she'd adjust and just allow me to clip, but she is stubborn and she hates it. If I attempt to go for the back feet, all hell breaks loose and it sounds like a cat possessed by the devil.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:06 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Well, just so you don't think this is the norm, that everyone clips their cats' nails, I'll tell you that I don't. I do remember at least once, maybe twice, back when she was a kitten, I did do some clipping. I have a distinct memory of one time when she was sleepy not getting any real resistance at all. But I can't imagine doing it now.

It's hard to say what I might do with any future cats. It's not something that I think about on a regular basis. You see, not only do I not clip them myself, I don't get them clipped either. I have never found this to be a problem, and I'm not even sure what problem it is supposed to solve. Less sharp claws when she (very rarely) ends up scratching me for being stupid? I'm guessing someone will tell me why I should have been doing it, but it's hard to see after not having problems. Perhaps not having problems is just pure luck.

The cat is 15 years old and hasn't had her nails clipped in 14-15 years. (She also hasn't had any dental work, another thing that always comes up on here.) She scratches a lot on her tall sisal rope scratching post, mainly, always been her favorite, and occasionally on a carpeted post instead.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:48 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,225,468 times
Default Do you clip your cat's nails?

Yes, and have lost a lot of blood doing it. She hates it, and puts up a fuss. However, about six months ago, by accident, found a way to make it a little bit easier. Because I had allowed her claws to become very long she had scratched the left side of her face and opened up a raw spot all the way from her inner ear down to her jawline. From an earlier vet visit had kept a hood (Elizabethan collar) and put it on her to stop her from scratching the wound until it healed. When I trimmed her claws while she was wearing the hood it went much easier, was able to cut the rear and dew claws with less fuss while she was on her back between my legs. Now she gets her trims on time, but first the collar goes on. She did catch on right away though, when I approach with the collar she bolts and heads elsewhere.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:52 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,945,418 times
I dremel my cat's nails once a week. Always towards the end of the day during sleepy time as I call it. She isn't thrilled about it but is getting used to it. I used to clip cat nails but since we started using the dremel for the dogs, I decided to see if the same thing would work for our cat. She doesn't fight as much with the dremel and it works better with cat claws than dog nails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats