Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 01:57 PM

5,521 posts, read 7,112,574 times

Advertisements

I inherited two cats, they need to have their nails clipped. They are friendly but don't like to be held for too long, although they will sit in my lap for a while. When I go to feel their feet they constantly pull them away. I don't thing I will get near them with a nail clipper no less.

My cats that I always had were declawed (they came that way from the shelter) so I never had to really deal with this...

Any suggestions to help the process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 04:15 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Approach it slowly and you'll eventually be able to do it regularly with little stress to anyone.

Here is my method of training cats to accept nail trimming:

~Get kitty used to having his/her paws touched. You can do this any time kitty is relaxed, stroke the paws, hold them between your fingers and apply pressure, when the claws extend, stroke in between the claws and so forth. But you also want to make the training more purposeful. I call that Paw Work.

~Use treats for incentive. Something wet and smearable is best. I use mayonaise, but depending on kitty's preference, butter, yogurt, even cream cheese can be used. You don't need to use a lot, just make sure it's soft enough to smear. You can place a tiny dot (less than pea sized) on the mouth, and kitty will be licking it off as you work.

~Decide on a position you intend to use for nail trimming, whatever is most comfortable for both you and your cat. I sit on the floor and hold the cat in my lap (upright). I used to have the one kitty perched on the table, draped over my arm, because I thought that's what she preferred, but lately I've found she prefers being held in my lap on the floor, like the other cats.

**Paw Work** (do daily during training)

~Get treats ready.

~Get kitty into position. Tell him/her what you are doing and why. Speak in a soft voice, offering many reassurances, throughout the process.

~Place a blob of mayonaise (or other soft wet treat) on kitty's mouth and while kitty is working on treat, take each paw and hold it between your fingers and thumb and gently press to extend the claws. Use this time to look carefully at the claws. Notice where the quick is, the pink part, you want to avoid snipping close to that, as it will hurt and bleed.

~After each paw, give a treat. Then release kitty and give one more treat.

~If kitty struggles at first, be firm and hold on. Speak softly and reassuringly. Kitty needs to learn that struggling will not get him/her released, and that what you are doing is not going to hurt in any way.

Of course, use your own judgment about if s/he is getting TOO upset. You don't want the cat to get traumatized, but you don't want to give in too easily either. ( I'll give my own examples later.) If you do release kitty, give a 15 minute break, then resume, until all paws are done.

~When you think kitty is ready, instead of just looking at the claws, snip the tips. I suggest just starting with the tips until you gain skill, to avoid getting the quick. As you become more practiced you will be able to cut them a bit shorter.

~If you can only get one tip in a session, that's fine. Slow and easy does it is the the way to success. Next time you might get two tips. And so on.

~Continue to smear little dots of mayo (or other treat) on the mouth as needed to keep kitty occupied.

~When it's all over, give a final taste of the mayo (or other) by offering it on a spoon or your finger, for kitty to lick off, instead of smearing it on kitty's mouth. (this is important, so s/he knows that's the end of it for that time)

Old 11-11-2011, 05:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
I would suggest having someone to help you do this until you get the hang of it. Be prepared for a struggle, they may hiss at you, they will be very upset especially if they aren't used to having their feet touched. You will need a pair of cat toenail cutters (from the pet store - human ones aren't shaped correctly). Have your helper hold one of the cats and if a struggle ensues have them grasp him/her by the scruff of the neck. Some people have luck wrapping the cat tightly into a towel with just one leg at a time out - mine run like hell if they see mama with the towel!!! They basically go limp in this position (mama carried them around this way so they know the position!!) and gently grasp a paw and apply gentle pressure on a toe which will expose the nail sheath. Usually they are white/clear looking and you can see the quick (the living part of the nail) underneath. You DO NOT want to cut into the quick - it will bleed and hurt (you may too!!). Gently proceed with the same process on each toe (don't forget the thumbs on the front paws) and you should have a total of 18 toenails on each cat unless you have a mitten kitten with six toes Gently talk to the kitty while you work on her and have your helper try and stroke and talk calmly and softly while you are doing your work. Be patient and kind, it may take a while to get the job done and they will be very scared and tired. Hopefully they won't run the next time you come to get them. With some practice you will be able to do this all by yourself and it will not be so bad for any of you. I would recommend a trim at least once a month, and even if it kills you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't give up and decide to declaw them. Good luck......

t f

Old 11-11-2011, 09:42 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
yep: what catsmom said! Hannah hated having her nails trimmed and it took at least 2 vet techs to trim them (and then she'd sulk all day). I did pretty much what catsmom described - only I used babyfood. Hannah came around and I would trim 1 paw each day. that way it became a regular thing and they all kept under control. ONly issue she had was she really hated having her inner thumbs touch at all no matter what, and kinda antsy about the outer thumbs (polydactyl).

Unfortunately she's had a bit of a personality change since I brought her home from the office and she's entirely forgotten about trimming! I"m going to have to start from scratch <sigh> and do it all over again. I had even used that method to get her to roll over, sitting braced against me, so I could comb her belly! now she's gone all anxious about most everything.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:33 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Mine aren't too cranky about it; when they are, I just let them go and try another day.

Cookie likes to sit behind me in a chair, so I use that position to trim her nails. She can be very stubborn, yanking her little paw out of my hand, but eventually I get the job done.

Checkers I just flop on his back on my lap, pinning him down with my right arm as I trim, and holding his paw in my left hand.

They complain, but since one of the two English words they understand is "treat", I use it liberally during the process.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:11 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
My cat is one of those that simply will not tolerate claws being trimmed, and no amount of training or treats will ever make the slightest difference. Trying to do so alone was always a battle royal, with risks to both of us, so for years always got help or just took her to the vet for a clipping. Not that long ago, quite by accident found a way to trim without help. For another reason had a hood on her, the so called Elizabethan collar, and gave a clipping another try, and it made a big difference, was able to do the job alone without nearly as much fuss. Seems that with the hood on she is much more passive, since she cannot bite and is not so mobile. On her back between my legs with the collar on did the job. May not work for all cats, but sure improved things with mine.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:21 AM

5,521 posts, read 7,112,574 times
These are great tips, thanks a lot. I guess if I can do a paw at a time, eventually I'll get the job done.

Don't worry I would never declaw, it should be against the law (that ryhmes) to do that. it's downright cruel.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:58 AM

575 posts, read 1,996,787 times
I've always started mine off the same way as Cats mom - though I do not give treats - not good for the waist line over time. But we play with feet so they know it's not always a bad thing. And I start off by only doing one foot at a time when I trim. This way it's quick and easy, then they can go. A bit later I'll do another foot and so on until by the end of the day all feet are done. I also do not just let them run free when I finish - I usually hold them for a second or two and give them a nice pet so they relax and they don't leave me feeling upset.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:12 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Have a good pair of kitty-shackles handy?

All kidding aside, try to keep the cat still for two reasons; cats can do a lot of damage to a person with their claws in a short time if not restrained, and also, you can concentrate on making sure you don't cut too much off the first time. Good luck.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:32 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
I have had a lot of cats over the years........only had one that I ever bothered to clip his nails.......and that was only because he used to like to knead my chest. Ouch.

All of the rest have taken care of their own nails on the scratching posts that I have throughout the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats