Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:54 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,286,861 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll do my best to stay calm for his sake.

We actually have a carrier that is a carrier/bed combo. It's plush on the inside and has a dome that zips onto the top and he will only be able to see out of the top so if he lays low he won't see anything except me when he looks up. We are going to throw a towel in there also just for added scent.

This is definitely my vet audition. He is only getting a checkup and his vaccine. I am curious to see how the vet reacts to what Sirius eats.

His appointment isn't until later this afternoon but I'll report back tonight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 07:46 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Good luck to you both, I hope you like your vet, but as was said, don't settle for less than you expect. If you don't feel a rapport with this vet, next time use another at the same clinic, or if you don't like the practice in general, find another practice.

Just be sure to get copies of Sirius's records.

Took me 7 years and 4 other practices before I found a place I liked, and I tried every vet in the current practice before settling on my vet.

I'll be watching for the update to hear how Brave Sirius was!

Old 08-25-2011, 08:04 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
keep him in his carrier and stay calm, make this a positive eperience...my cats like the vets because they get chicken liver treats when we go there (lightly cooked tiny peices of chicken liver *ewwww* lol) i hate it, but they love it, so thats there "were going to the dr" treat. as soon as we get there they get treats, once were in the waitingroom they get treats, while the dr is checking them over, imediatly after a shot, once were done ect...

ive also found cats are much more comfortable when they dont have to put their feet on the slidy metal examination table so i tend ot let them sit in carrier unless being picked up/held by the vet/tech or myself.

if YOUR stressed, kitty will be stressed.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:31 AM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
Once in the room I let my carrier open. My cats can come out and explore the room and get acquainted if they like - I encourage them not to stay balled up in the carrier. I take a pom pom toy and let them bat it around the room. I've even swiped a few cotton balls for make shift toys LOL.

My Simon loves to play in the room sink They vet that I see for my cats (dog sees a different ones) knows it and thinks it's great! They love my cats are so comfortable there. They have no trouble examining my cats. Well - Grace is another story From Day 1 I started trying to make the vet a somewhat enjoyable place. Lexie likes her soft brush so I take that and brush her while we wait All the comforts of home to relax them. It's much better than the screaming yowling cats alternative!

And to agree, you are very much always interviewing the staff! Don't get complacent about that! If you have a bad feeling you're probably right. You should never feel your vet is hiding stuff or being anything than upfront. Ask why they want to do things - you should never feel pushed upon to do anything. If you feel you are getting a "hard sell" then there is probably a reason why! Go somewhere else. Yes Vet's have to make money and yes tests have to be run and we don't always like big vet bills. However, we should never feel like we just walked off of a car lot when we take our pets to the vet's office. A good vet understands and supports your choices or explains good reasons for their medical points of view.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:55 AM

Side question, is it too much to get multiple vaccinations in 1 visit? I only wanted to get the 3 way vaccine today but they already said they want to give him his rabies right away too.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:03 AM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
I choose not to, but a lot of people do all in one day. Personally I always think the less you do to their immune system the better. My vet does not charge me when I come back for just a shot, she knows that I don't like to do it all at once and has several people that like to spread out. She recommends it but most people don't like the inconvenience. She recommends separating by at least 2 weeks preferably 3.

Talk to the vet about seperating out the shots - make sure there will not be a charge. Also make sure you are getting the "cat" non adjuvanct rabies.

LOL as a side note - I USUALLY wait until my babies are a bit older until the get the first rabies. It can be pretty hard on them. They always want to go ahead and do it young buy my vet just looks the other way. My state says it has to be done by 4 mo I think. I've waited till 6 mo. I'd wait till a year If I could Truthfully I never give it if I could but that's just me. I think a rabies shot is bad news all over. I've personally know several dogs/ cats with bad reactions. Once friends dog is partially paralyzed from a rabies reaction and she now has a seizure disorder.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:48 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
I also prefer to space out the vaccinations and wait for rabies, but the vast majority of cats and dogs are fine with them all at once.

So how did it go?

Old 08-25-2011, 05:10 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
I do space the vaccinations out, rabies first, then a couple weeks later the 'distemper' jab. I am glad there are vaccines to protect our beloved pets from rabies and fatal diseases such as panleukopenia (distemper)

My cats get the annual purevax rabies vaccine (it does not contain the adjuvant that is thought to be the cause of VAS, vaccine associated sarcoma). As kittens (or adults of unknown vaccine status) they get the 'distemper' (aka RCCP, or FVRCPC) kitten series, and the next year's booster. One 'distemper' booster after that, at the five year mark.

If current rabies is law in your state, I recommend you keep Sirius current with his rabies vaccines. If he isn't, and he ever bites someone, the consequences are very dire, from quarantine to euthanasia, depending on who you end up dealing with.

In another forum someone is dealing with that. Their cat was one week over due (so they claim) for rabies, and a bat got into the house, and the cat had the bat in his mouth at least twice. The law, according to this person, is forcing them to either quarrantine the cat for six months at a police kennel (at their expense, of course), or have the cat euthanized.

I have bats around here too. My cats will always be protected against rabies, according to the law where ever I happen to be living. It's just not worth the risk, IMO

Old 08-25-2011, 09:50 PM

Hi all it went well! Be was scared at first but then played with the vet and assistant. He even fell asleep in his carrier while the vet talked to us. I'll give more details tomorrow.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:20 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
Hi all it went well! Be was scared at first but then played with the vet and assistant. He even fell asleep in his carrier while the vet talked to us. I'll give more details tomorrow.
I think this is Fritz's defence mechanism too. Whenever we go to the vet's he's super calm and falls asleep in my arms. He also does this when a new person picks him up, he curls up and falls asleep. He must think, "if I'm uninteresting, they'll leave me alone!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats