Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 01:43 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times

Advertisements

The BAD news is that both neutered and un-neutered cats will still spray. Even my girls do it and they are all spayed. EVERYBODY is healthy - they are just very territorial, I guess. They use the boxes BUT they will also pee on virtually anything that appears to be "out of place" in their perception. I can bring a bag of litter in the house, turn around to clean and empty the box, and they have peed on the bag of litter I have waiting to be used. They pee on walls, baseboards, pillows, rugs, etc. and it is very frustrating. I just have to be diligent in cleaning up after them. It does absolutely no good to scold them - they aren't like kids and dogs in that respect. I have had good results with using Scat Mats throughout the house to keep them out of rooms I absolutely will not tolerate their behavior ie. the kitchen, bedrooms. I think this is the reason why so many people give up their cats - they just can't handle it any more. I wish you good luck.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 11:36 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
CFoulke, what you describing is a prime example of "stress" behaviour. territorial behaviour like your describing is typically the result of an insecure animal (esecially in females).

how many litterboxes do you have?
many females dont like to share a box and will mark as a result.
my eldest female will pee anywhere other than the box if theres a single peice of poop in the box ect...

might be worth trying a product like comfort zone.

but yes, litterbox issues are a VERY common reaosn for people rehoming their cats.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:14 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,945,572 times
Default At wits end with spraying kitty!

I have a 2-1/2 year old neutered male tuxedo kitty that has been spraying since he came into our home (see attached picture). He is driving me nuts. Neutering did not stop the spraying and I have been told by my vet that neutering only stops 90% of male cats from spraying. He keeps hitting the outside dining room walls and he does it virtually every day unless I spread foil to keep him away from the walls. I've used Feliway (only sprayed every few days then), treated the walls & floor with "Stink Free" after we pulled up & disposed of the carpeting & padding and put hardwood down, and now use a product from "Nature's Miracle" called "No More Spraying". This works about the same as Feliway in that it stops him for a few days and then he's right back to it.

We're a multi-cat household also having a 3-1/2 year old rescue that was feral for his first year of life. He's neutered and doesn't spray at all. We believe that the sprayer is stressed and we don't know if it's because he's in a multi-cat house or if he's stressed from external stimuli. He also seems to display separation anxiety since many times he will spray if we leave the house for a few hours after not spraying for a few days. I do wonder if he is "too" attached to us because he is very puppy like. We do have ferals that show up at our doors & windows and drive our older cat crazy so perhaps that is it.

I'm at wits end with this one. Tests reveal no viral infections in his urine and he still uses the letterbox several times a day, yet he sprays the walls & baseboards in the dining room. I don't want to give up on him. We saved his life having rescued him when he was only a few months old and was starving & extremely sick. He has so much personality and is very puppy like. He fetches when you throw toys for him, he curls up at your feet like a puppy and if you let him in the bedroom at night he will curl up against you and stay all night. I can't stand the thought of sending him away but we cannot put up with the constant spraying in the house.

Any clues as to how effective medication is for spraying? I've heard that there seems to be good results with Buspirone and that it has stopped spraying in many problem cats. I hate to do anything that will affect his sweet personality but the spraying has got to stop.

Comments anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
My friend's cat pees everywhere but  still uses the box-p3050026.jpg   My friend's cat pees everywhere but  still uses the box-mojo-internet.jpg   My friend's cat pees everywhere but  still uses the box-mojo.jpg  

Last edited by DurangoJoe; 11-08-2011 at 04:41 PM..

Old 05-10-2012, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,059 times
Default Inside Cat becomes Outside cat

Inside cats who pee on furniture in house get 3 chances then become outside cats...plain and simple.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,046 times
My kitty is 13 years old, We just added a new kitten that loves to play with him, and i can tell that at times the older cat does not want to play and runs and hides, problem is kitten can find him anywhere.. would this be a cause of his peeing and spraying on things now? the kitten has been spayed already.

there are some outside cats that come and spray around the house that i could see, and i try to cover that up also when i clean.

What is a scat mat? I have tried to use Boundry, but that seems to bother my allergies. the older cat "Ink" is very edgy, he freaks about everything. maybe I should take him to the Vet and ask her opinion on Prozac for Kitty..

Last edited by Cat herder; 05-11-2012 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Added more info

Old 05-14-2012, 07:14 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
I have a 2-1/2 year old neutered male tuxedo kitty that has been spraying since he came into our home (see attached picture). He is driving me nuts. Neutering did not stop the spraying and I have been told by my vet that neutering only stops 90% of male cats from spraying. He keeps hitting the outside dining room walls and he does it virtually every day unless I spread foil to keep him away from the walls. I've used Feliway (only sprayed every few days then), treated the walls & floor with "Stink Free" after we pulled up & disposed of the carpeting & padding and put hardwood down, and now use a product from "Nature's Miracle" called "No More Spraying". This works about the same as Feliway in that it stops him for a few days and then he's right back to it.

We're a multi-cat household also having a 3-1/2 year old rescue that was feral for his first year of life. He's neutered and doesn't spray at all. We believe that the sprayer is stressed and we don't know if it's because he's in a multi-cat house or if he's stressed from external stimuli. He also seems to display separation anxiety since many times he will spray if we leave the house for a few hours after not spraying for a few days. I do wonder if he is "too" attached to us because he is very puppy like. We do have ferals that show up at our doors & windows and drive our older cat crazy so perhaps that is it.

I'm at wits end with this one. Tests reveal no viral infections in his urine and he still uses the letterbox several times a day, yet he sprays the walls & baseboards in the dining room. I don't want to give up on him. We saved his life having rescued him when he was only a few months old and was starving & extremely sick. He has so much personality and is very puppy like. He fetches when you throw toys for him, he curls up at your feet like a puppy and if you let him in the bedroom at night he will curl up against you and stay all night. I can't stand the thought of sending him away but we cannot put up with the constant spraying in the house.

Any clues as to how effective medication is for spraying? I've heard that there seems to be good results with Buspirone and that it has stopped spraying in many problem cats. I hate to do anything that will affect his sweet personality but the spraying has got to stop.

Comments anyone?
Your kitty is gorgeous! It very well could be the ferals outside that are aggravating him, do you have any shades or heavy drapes that could block his view?

forum rules, please read them

Old 05-14-2012, 09:28 PM

30 posts, read 67,014 times
Terrible to see that. It should take lots of time to train him to be well mannered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats