Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:06 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,163,239 times

Advertisements

I opted to shell out the additional $400 for Ultrasound along with everything else. I need to be absolutely sure should I need to make the decision to have his leg amputated. From everything I've read, cats seem to adapt well to having only 3 legs. And I'd rather have a 3 legged Pinky than no Pinky! It's still hard for me to accept though. So although I'm prepared for the worst I'm still hoping and praying for the best. I realize I'm not the only one who has to go through things like that. It just seems to be getting harder and harder for me to cope emotionally.
Thank you all for your kind words. I will keep you posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
That is a bummer. Years ago we saw so much less cancer in cats... what can be the cause? Diet. Pollution. The flea powders and products?
I don't know either. When I researched Osteosarcoma it actually said it was rare in cats. I've never used flea powder so I really don't know what would be the cause. But then it seems like I hear about more people with cancer than ever before. Despite all the new medical info we have these days.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:20 PM

Looks like I will have to schedule Pinky's leg Amputation. Only good news is that his blood work is normal, and there is no evidence of any Cancer spread anywhere else. His leg is painful though so it really needs to come off. She explained that in this form of bone cancer - it literally 'explodes' from the inside out. It's heart wrenching.
Like I said earlier - I'd rather have a Tripod Pinky than no Pinky at all.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:28 PM

758 posts, read 1,641,094 times
I'm so sorry to hear about all you've been going through! I hope 2012 is a better year.

Tripod Pinky definitely is better than no Pinky.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:59 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,288,869 times
I remember how hard it was for you when Twirpy passed.

I'm so sorry you did not have a moment to recover before additional difficult decisions became necessary.

Pinky will recover and heal, and will help you to do the same.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:04 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times
That's a rough one. But, Pinky should be okay with 3 legs. I've met a couple of 3-legged cats, and they've gotten around just fine, pretty active even. I'm sure it'll take him some time to adjust, but he'll learn to compensate for that. Good luck to you both.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
That's a rough one. But, Pinky should be okay with 3 legs. I've met a couple of 3-legged cats, and they've gotten around just fine, pretty active even. I'm sure it'll take him some time to adjust, but he'll learn to compensate for that. Good luck to you both.
Indeed! At this point he's having a hard time getting around because he's now unable to put any sort of weight on that hind right leg so I'm actually now anxious to get this going. He's on pain meds which make him pretty drowsy too. He slept cuddled in my arms all night last night (poor hubby LOL). That's the sort of cat he is...super affectionate. So this is all quite heart wrenching for me.
Thanks all of you for the kind and caring words and thoughts. I realize that many animal lovers have gone through (or are going through) pain and loss of their fur kids. One of the reasons why I posted here. I'm tired of some people saying 'isn't it simpler just to put him down?' And I realize that they really do not understand how these animals become part of the family. *sigh*

Old 11-11-2011, 06:39 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,056,834 times
So sorry to hear of Pinky's results. But it is also good it has not spread. It's always hard to see them in pain. Please keep us updated on how it goes. Will be thinking of you and Pinky!

Old 11-11-2011, 11:50 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
I'm tired of some people saying 'isn't it simpler just to put him down?' And I realize that they really do not understand how these animals become part of the family. *sigh*
Can't believe people say that. As you noted, they really don't get it. Certainly there are limits perhaps at some point, but this is not one. I remember watching a video a while back (maybe you've seen it, a quick search didn't turn it up) where a cat got around even climbing on just two front legs (paralyzed in back). Or the one who scoots around on 4 stubs! It's amazing what they can do.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:56 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,806,037 times
Oh, I'm glad the cancer hasn't spread! That's wonderful news. I am sorry to hear that he will lose his leg. I know you will be very nervous and scared for him during the surgery. I'll be sending you love and strength from Michigan and wishing the best for your precious kitty. Please keep us updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats