Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 02:16 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,598,575 times

Advertisements

I'm just going to echo what your vet said about yoghurt. I feed plain greek yoghurt to my cats and dog once a week. They ALL eat it voluntarily, and I believe strongly that it is good for their digestions - it has a noticible positive effect on the dog, who has stomach issues.

If your cat won't eat it in a bowl, will he lick it off your finger? Or swallow it if you put some in his mouth? It's worth a try, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 11:14 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
I'm sure the poor kitty isn't enjoying the diarrhea either. But I understand your frustration.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:44 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Pumpkin can be added to the canned food, if she'll eat it. But a probiotic is probably what she needs. Yogurt doesn't have enough of what she needs for this serious a problem.

I use ProViable DC. Sometimes you have to start with the more concentrated paste, and use the powder in tandem.

Nutramax Laboratories, Inc.

I have a cat who takes Proviable daily or she has diarrhea.

Once you move and things settle down, perhaps you can find a new vet who can help you get to the root of this problem. You sound pretty stressed right now, and I don't blame you. Obviously you love your kitty very much.

Don't feed either cat Purina foods of ANY variety. Purina foods are bad news and there have been tons of problems reported, including feline diarrhea, which Purina is not addressing.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:38 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,213,159 times
I'm assuming your cat is an indoor cat so this may not be a very good clue but after getting sucked into the almost 300.00 dollar worm test that found nothing I realized my one had tape worms. Guess they don't show up on tests?
Don't know that they would cause the level of problem you have but it could be not one problem but a combination of two.
You sound like a good conscientious owner. If you can't figure it out and you reach the end of your funds, don't beat yourself up over it.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:19 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
I have always fed Purina foods and I have never had a problem with any of my dogs or cats getting diarrhea from it.

Many people cannot afford specialty cat foods. Many people would never even think of giving a cat a home if they think they must spend big $$$ to feed them.

IMO, the easiest, cheapest thing the OP can do is to try a probiotic supplement. Something in powder form would probably be the easiest to administer.

There is a good chance that the OP's cat just has diarrhea because of her age and her system may just need a little boost from the probiotics.

The OP is at the end of her rope, expecting her to try diet after diet after EXPENSIVE diet can take months and months and months.

Probiotics is the GOLD STANDARD when it comes to treating diarrhea, the cost is minimal, it is easy, and it will probably work.

Please don't further overwhelm someone who is already on the verge of giving up.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I have always fed Purina foods and I have never had a problem with any of my dogs or cats getting diarrhea from it.

Many people cannot afford specialty cat foods. Many people would never even think of giving a cat a home if they think they must spend big $$$ to feed them.

IMO, the easiest, cheapest thing the OP can do is to try a probiotic supplement. Something in powder form would probably be the easiest to administer.

There is a good chance that the OP's cat just has diarrhea because of her age and her system may just need a little boost from the probiotics.

The OP is at the end of her rope, expecting her to try diet after diet after EXPENSIVE diet can take months and months and months.

Probiotics is the GOLD STANDARD when it comes to treating diarrhea, the cost is minimal, it is easy, and it will probably work.

Please don't further overwhelm someone who is already on the verge of giving up.
There are other choices than purina. THIS is why I tell people to stop/not feed their cats Purina

Consumer complaints about Purina Pet Foods

In addition there are plenty of stories in other forums of cats getting sick eating Purina products. Purina is not addressing the issue. At all.

I did recommend a probiotic, too. But all the probiotic in the world will not help, if the cat continues to be fed a tainted food.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:56 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I can only share that when I tried to do something nice for our old cat, by getting her expensive, senior, canned food (she had lost some teeth) she immediately got terrible diarrhea. This was no pampered indoor cat, but a former outside mouser who would gleefully eat any rodent or bird she could catch.

With all due respect to the other posters, cats don't eat pumpkins, and cats don't eat yogurt. My inclination would be to stop all the meds and special food, since it isn't working, and go back to a tried and true dry cat food, like Purina One, or Cat Chow and see how it goes. If indeed she has an incurable ailment, then maybe you will need to help her out of the world.

We had another cat with tapeworms when we got him, and one or two cheap pills will get rid of them, if that might be the problem.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:38 AM

157 posts, read 587,251 times
no cats naturally don't eat pumpkin but they do get their 'fiber' from the mice they eat naturally....and there isn't a good fiber in the commercial foods we are stuffing down their poor little throats.
It will cost $1 to give pumpkin a try...as with any form of diarrhea, fiber is required..be sure to buy the PURE canned pumpkin NOT the pie filling. add a small amount(teasp or less) to the food, most cats love it...
also probiotics are a very good choice, to regulate whatever is going on with the bowel. this is the one I give my cats everyday. I order from iherb. the shipping is only $4. they are a very reputable company. the Garden of Life is safe for cats...no soy, or other additives. and it HAS THE MOST STRAINS OF BACTERIA avail on the market..it comes in powder form, so just sprinkle a bit on the food, cats don't even notice the taste....
I take this one myself in tablet form......the $32 investment will save you alot of money at the Vets and the jar will last at least a year....
good luck

Garden of Life, Primal Defense, Powder, HSO Probiotic Formula, 81 g - iHerb.com

Old 01-15-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I can only share that when I tried to do something nice for our old cat, by getting her expensive, senior, canned food (she had lost some teeth) she immediately got terrible diarrhea. This was no pampered indoor cat, but a former outside mouser who would gleefully eat any rodent or bird she could catch.

With all due respect to the other posters, cats don't eat pumpkins, and cats don't eat yogurt. My inclination would be to stop all the meds and special food, since it isn't working, and go back to a tried and true dry cat food, like Purina One, or Cat Chow and see how it goes. If indeed she has an incurable ailment, then maybe you will need to help her out of the world.

We had another cat with tapeworms when we got him, and one or two cheap pills will get rid of them, if that might be the problem.
Cats also don't take deworming pills or antibiotics. Purina foods are chock full of things that a cat would never eat, if he had a choice. It's not a sensible argument.

When you have a pet with a problem that a cause cannot be found for, you look for ways to solve the problem palliatively, at least.

Food sensitivities can start at any time. A change in diet to a food that contains a different protein and no grains is often very beneficial to the cat.

Pure pumpkin is beneficial to a cat's digestive system. It can help firm up stools, or it can help with constipation. I have a cat who eats pumpkin twice a day, to solve a chronic constipation problem. It has changed her life, improving her quality of life 100 %..

I have a cat who takes a probiotic every day, because of a nutrient absorption problem. It has changed her life, improving her quality of life 100 %.

Undetected cancer can cause this kind of problem. In that case, kitty will continue to decline, but if pumpkin, a probiotic and/or a decent food can improve her stools for whatever time she has left, regardless of the root cause, that is a good thing.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:41 AM

380 posts, read 832,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

With all due respect to the other posters, cats don't eat pumpkins, and cats don't eat yogurt. My inclination would be to stop all the meds and special food, since it isn't working, and go back to a tried and true dry cat food, like Purina One, or Cat Chow and see how it goes.

Yeah believe it or not, cats are carnivore meat eaters and, beings Catsmom21's sound advice is being called out, I'd like to know why you think these things are any better than Pumpkin & yogurt. At least do a little research before questioning someone who has.

smart blend maturity:
Chicken, brewers rice, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, soybean meal, whole grain corn, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), soybean hulls, animal liver flavor... "Fish" meal? Ethoxyquin questions with that one...

cat chow: Ingredients:
Corn meal, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, soy flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), powdered cellulose, animal liver flavor, soybean hulls, malt extract, calcium carbonate, phosphoric acid, salt, choline chloride, potassium chloride Indoor Cat Food: Purina® Indoor Formula

BTW that consumer site is being updated almost daily, by people who thought their animals were "just fine" before the stuff hit the fan.
Shame somebody didn't warn them first?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats