Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
Anyone here have a CH baby?

Encyclopedia of Feline Veterinary Medical Information
Cerebellar Hypoplasia

The cerebellum is the portion of the brain responsible for the control of motion. When a puppy or kitten is born with an underdeveloped cerebellum, the condition is known as congenital cerebellar hypoplasia. There are infectious causes of this condition in both cats (panleukopenia infection prior to birth) and dogs (herpes virus infection prior to birth). Improper development of the cerebellum may occur due to injury, poisoning or just from an accident in development in the uterus. It is generally possible to see signs of this condition almost as soon as the puppy or kitten is born. Affected animals have tremors and unusual jerky movements or may fall down when they try to move. The symptoms do not get worse as they age. As the kitten or puppy grows it will learn to compensate for its condition but there are usually lifelong signs of a decreased ability to coordinate movement. Almost all dogs and cats with congenital cerebellar hypoplasia can live happily as pets with a little special care to compensate for their disabilities.

I have one and she is just the sweetiest little thing you ever saw. I have met 3 of them and all 3 have wonderful, sweet personalities. They can have it in different degrees and my girl ia in the medium range compared to the ones I have seen. To see what this does to kitties, go to [url=http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Cerebellar+hypoplasia+cats&se arch=Search]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/url]
Remember as you watch that these kitties are in no pain! They are as healthy and happy as any other cat and can live a normal life span. What they lack in motor skills, they make up for in sweetness and brain smarts.

More awareness of this condition is needed so people will understand, there is NO need to put them to sleep and just how truely amazing they really are.

I have had my little Amy all but her first 2 months of her 4 years of life. I had never seen a CH kitty when I got her and knew nothing about this condition. So little is out there about them and I had so many questions and no place to go for answers so I had to learn as I went along with her. The purpose of even posting this is so that more people can see them and be more aware so if you ever come across one, you will reconize it for what it is. It is not contaigous, there is no medicine for it, no surgery, nothing can be done except take good care of them, keep them safe and love the daylights out of them.

This is my sweet little Amy....
I think my cat my have more than CH cause 1.his skull didn't grow together fully. 2.He has a really big head and i don't mean that as a hahaha i mean he has a abnormal sized head for this kitten's age. 3.His eye's have to be wiped with a warm piece of tissue everyday because he get's goop in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 12:34 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,664 times
XxClownzxX, CH kitties do stress out a lot easier and faster than normal kitties. I have always worried more about Amy because of how easy she stresses and everyone is warned to leave her alone and not to upset her..LOL!

Even at the vets, I have had to tell them to stop what they were doing and leave her alone because she was stressing so bad it scared even the vet... another time she has scared a new vet technician who has never seen a CH kitty.. I had one new girl grab Amy's kennel with her in it and run to the back with her (she didn't say a word to me, just grabbed Amy's kennel and took off running with it).. She saw Amy trembling and shaking and thought Amy had a reaction to a shot and got her to the vet as fast as she could.. None of us laughed at her (not even the vet), we were glad she reacted to what she thought was a bad situation.... that was the day she was introduced to CH kitties and learned about them..

It does sound like your baby has something else going on. You really need to have him checked out by vet. He sounds like a sweetheart!

Amy can't use the litter box either because the shaking and trembling makes her sink into the litter and she looses her balance so I buy the adult size disposable bed pads at Sam's Club for her and that is what she uses.. You get about 128 of them for under $30. I put them right outside the litter box and she knows to use them.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:11 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,986,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxClownzxX View Post
Hey i am just now researching CH because my kitten Norton was born with it he spin's in circles when he tries to walk he fall's alot.
Brevity snipped.

I would love to see a pic of him. Does he need to wear a diaper or can he get into a low baking pan of litter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats