Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:38 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times

Advertisements

OH my goodness this thread has grown since I went to work this morning... my heart has been aching ever since reading about how she was gagging down her food literally when you found her and fed her.

I was all prepared out tonight to beg you not to leave her behind like everyone else has when it's time for you to go! I worry if you wait till friday when you get ready to leave, if you can't find her... what will become of her!

Finding her a home may be difficult, keeping her away from your kitties may be next to impossible and uncomfortable on everyone for the weekend... but I'm sure she's super defensive and aggresive towards them, because... survival depends on hostile intentions, when food is scarce. Little Moo was so angry at everyone in the house when it came to her food, for the first week or two. To the point where she would lay there at the food bowl, and scream like a devil if they tried to come close. She had to learn... that there will always be enough food for her now...

Perhaps your new skelo-cat needs to learn the reassurance as well, and will most definitely calm down. Please please please don't leave without her. You are an angel for coming to her in her time of need. Please don't leave without her like everyone else is! I will help in any way I can as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 09:34 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
Could you clarify your plans and if you've seen the cat again? I have two possible people who could take her...one is offering to loan a trap and transport to a vet (I'll pay costs) and while they can't adopt her, they can network where she can go after that. Another is willing to help network but needs to know the exact location.

If you want to adopt her, I can see if someone is willing to come out and help you trap her.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:21 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Could you scruff her into a smaller cage, then put the smaller cage inside the larger one and just leave the door of the smaller cage open? That way she would be able to leave it and have more room within the larger cage, but still have a hidey-hole den with the smaller cage still there.
We went and picked up the spare cat PlayPen yesterday. She went in during the night and ate and used the small litterpan. We think we can trap her in there when she comes by for food today. God I hope this works. This playpen will fit in the tow vehicle next to the one we use as a porch for our own cats. Our cats will ride home in their carriers away from her. We'll cover her "playpen" so they can't stress each other out with the hissing and spitting.

Scruffing her is the second alternative. She has very little loose skin in that area.

Midwest Cat Playpens, Midwest Kitten Playpens, Midwest Cat Playpen, Midwest Kitten Playpen We have two of these.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
SportPet Pop Open Kennel XL at Walmart. This is what we used last summer (I bought 6 of them and each held 3 cats) when moving our 24 cats from Ohio to Illinois - runs around $25 (in Ohio anyway) and I checked the Walmart in Hermitage Tn, near where you are camping - they are in stock. These are portable, would keep her contained, would fit anywhere in your RV, and although not heavy duty - would sure beat living in the wild and starving. Remember - would only be temporary until you go home. Sorry to be a pain in the butt - just trying to help!!! I am trying to think how of what I were you in your position right now.
We are not too far from that WalMart and went there yesterday to get more cat food. She eats like a little horse. See my reply below about a cage we already had that will fit in our tow vehicle. It's roomy but has an upright shape. We drive home and picked it up yesterday evening. We're considering all options.

She did enter it sometime during the night, ate the food and used the small litterpan.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
OH my goodness this thread has grown since I went to work this morning... my heart has been aching ever since reading about how she was gagging down her food literally when you found her and fed her.
It broke our hearts to watch her going at that food.

Quote:
I was all prepared out tonight to beg you not to leave her behind like everyone else has when it's time for you to go! I worry if you wait till friday when you get ready to leave, if you can't find her... what will become of her!
We are doing everything possible to make sure she is not left behind. See today's posts.

Quote:
Finding her a home may be difficult, keeping her away from your kitties may be next to impossible and uncomfortable on everyone for the weekend... but I'm sure she's super defensive and aggresive towards them, because... survival depends on hostile intentions, when food is scarce. Little Moo was so angry at everyone in the house when it came to her food, for the first week or two. To the point where she would lay there at the food bowl, and scream like a devil if they tried to come close. She had to learn... that there will always be enough food for her now...
My cats don't want her around, ......

Quote:
Perhaps your new skelo-cat needs to learn the reassurance as well, and will most definitely calm down. Please please please don't leave without her. You are an angel for coming to her in her time of need. Please don't leave without her like everyone else is! I will help in any way I can as well.
God willing, she will come home with us on Friday. I wish the campgrounds had a plan on what to do with abandoned cats and dogs. They don't. No one seems to care. Nothing is done to help them. We've seen cats and dogs in all but the most expensive RV Resorts, but we don't frequent those place often. At Poole Knobs in LaVergne TN last summer there was a skeletal purbred young male boxer starving to death. But he refused to let anyone near him. The Host there did call Animal Control but he wouldn't go in the large baited trap. There were two kittens there also, one no more than 6 weeks old, but like the dog, no one could near them. It's heart breaking to see these things and often be helpless to do anything.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:59 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Kitty, and ParallelJJCat too, I've got nothing to add, just thank you, thank you, for all you're trying to do for this cat. I so hope everything works out!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:19 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Forgive me if I missed the post addressing it but are you having the stray checked for disease before getting it in proximity to your cats?

How to Turn a Stray Cat Into a Pet - Page 1

Old 05-23-2012, 01:53 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
Please check your PMs...I've got a number of possible homes/fosters lined up.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:18 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
Default You guys make me proud...

Once again - cat people step up to the plate and offer a helping hand whenever possible. I send a heartfelt THANK YOU to all of you....and to =^..^= - you and your husband are angels on this earth for having such a heart. I am sorry that your relaxing vacation turned into such a trauma - but I'm thinking God sent you there at this particular time for a reason - you have certainly touched a lot of hearts this week. I am keeping my paws crossed that all goes well the rest of the week. Also to ParallelJJCat - your generosity and concern bring tears to my eyes. God love ya......

Old 05-23-2012, 03:23 PM

Default The good news is.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Kitty, and ParallelJJCat too, I've got nothing to add, just thank you, thank you, for all you're trying to do for this cat. I so hope everything works out!
The good news is she's been going in the cat "playpen" today to eat and drink. Tomorrow afternoon we will put the food in, when she goes in to eat, (Please God,make her go in) we will shut the door on her. She will, to the best of our ability, never be hungry again.

She lets us pet her longer now also. She was rubbing on our legs and tried to get into the RV with me. I pray all goes well tomorrow afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats