Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 03:12 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,819,005 times

Advertisements

So I'm sitting here resting after a stressful morning of teenager driving lessons and hear a tiny little mewing sound. At first I think it is just a bird chirping or maybe the dryer making a weird noise. I stopped the dryer and listened again, but didn't hear anything. I got up to get some water and out of the corner of my eye see movement on the widow ledge outside our breakfast nook. Looking closer I see it is a kitten...probably 5-6 weeks old.

I ran to the stairs and called my son to come down and we went outside with a plate of food. It darted under our covered grill as soon as I approached it and my son saw another one scoot under there at the same time.

I've put some food and water out for them and sat there quietly waiting and calling a bit, but they took off. I'm sure they smelled the food, though, so they should be back.

Unfortunately, we are leaving town tomorrow morning for an overnight trip. I will leave lots of water/food in some shady place, but otherwise I don't know what else I can do. I have been looking to adopt a new baby after Catfish passed away, but I didn't really think it would happen this way and certainly not two of them.

Any other suggestions on getting them to come closer? I can't wait to get back from Austin on Saturday afternoon. I hope the Tropical Storm Don doesn't get too bad and cause them harm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 04:16 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,002,227 times
It takes patience and time. Sit quietly and let them come to you. In time they'll be curious.... and that's the start of taming them.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:11 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
It's generally far easier to socialize ferals before 8 weeks than after that, so you've still got something of a window to get them to adapt more easilt to human contact. And a pair of kittens will keep each other entertained when you're out of the house.

As for rain, look where likely hiding holes are, and make sure they're got higher ground there they can reach if the rain starts to get heavy.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:28 PM

Turns out there are at least 4 kittens and the mom hanging out. I got a picture of two of the kittens through my back door window.

I'm thinking that I will make a tent-like contraption out of the grill cover and the chairs and leave food and water there while we are gone. When we get back I'll look into trapping them and spaying/neutering. I want to keep at least one, possibly two.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:40 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,700,354 times
I had a similar situation happen to me once. A mother and two kittens (~10 weeks old) showed up. They had mange and the mother was already again pregnant. I kept them and the mother gave birth to four kittens. Many in my family complained--until they saw the cream colord kittens, which were quickly placed. A friend of my parents took the mother cat and spayed her and my parents kept the two kittens, who were also spayed. And I ended up adopting a completely different cat. All's well that ends well.

I know for a fact that those cats were meant for me. A neighbor told me she had seen and tried to pick up the mother cat, who bit her. And that cat, as well as her kittens, never even so much as scratched me.

Sounds like a plan. I would keep two, but that's just me. Just keep in mind that cats always know who to seek out--it isn't as random as it would seem.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:31 AM

This morning in the breakfast nook...

Old 07-29-2011, 08:38 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,289,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Bonding already!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:06 AM

41,972 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Aren't they sweet! They want to be part of your family!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:37 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times
Quote:

what a FANTASTIC picture.... and starla is right.... they know who to seek out.....

can't wait for more pictures.... hurry hurry home from Austin!!

Old 07-29-2011, 11:00 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
I've tamed feral kittens. I think the key to success was getting them used to me. I initially put out a dish of food for mom and kittens. Then I used to bring out a patio chair and sit near where she kept them as often as possible. (I'd bring a book and pretend I was paying no attention to them.)

As the days went by I'd move the food dish closer and closer to my chair. They got used to me, I got used to them. Pretty soon they were sniffing my feet then the braver among them hopped up onto my lap. We kept two and found homes for the rest. Including Mom. Best cats ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats