Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 05:54 AM

150 posts, read 297,852 times

Advertisements

Reiki is a energy healing method. I've taken the first level training for humans. I do it on my cats. I am waiting to see if an Animal Reiki class has enough students which hopefully will be held this weekend. When I use Reiki on my cats, it does seem to have a calming effect. Anyone else use it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 06:10 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
My Bridge Angel benefited greatly from Reiki in her last few months. She was so crippled with arthritis by then that movement was very painful. After sleeping, she could not get up without my help. I would have to massage her limbs to loosen them up, then help her stand up.

Once she started receiving Reiki she had a whole new outlook on life, and was able to move with enough freedom that she would even play a little. I continued the massages of course, but it was a wonderful thing for her.

Her Reiki practitioner (trained in animal reiki) lives on the other side of the country from me, but she had a bond with my girlie to start with, and her Reiki was very effective.

We had discussed Reiki but hadn't set a date or time to start. One day I came home from work, and as always the first thing I did was go to my girlie to massage her and help her get up. Instead, I walked into her room and she heard me, woke up and then got to her feet in one movement. I was shocked, and so was she! She was so surprised that her body actually did what she wanted it to do! Later I found out that M had started the Reiki that day.

It was so wonderful to see her moving around, coming out to the living-room to join me and the other cats, even playing a little. I am positive the Reiki extended my time with her, as her pain was getting so bad I had started to consider letting her go before she was really ready. It was either that or drug her up, and I had already tried that with unhappy results.

So the Reiki gave me five extra months with my precious little girlie.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:23 AM

Default Reiki

That is a beautiful story. Right now my oldest cat has cancer and doesn't have much time left. I am giving him Reiki and hoping it gives him comfort. Dr. said he had a very poor prognosis. He does purr when I give him the energy.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:43 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
My husband was a Reiki Master some years ago. His hands got really hot and he at one time considered setting up a practice but his real job and life got in the way. I believe anybody can send energy through their hands and body. I think my sick cat Oscar sought me out more than usual for the comfort and healing he got from me and my love. He's doing much better.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:21 PM

I've heard of people whose hands get hot when they give Reiki. That seems like proof something is happening! Mine don't.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:23 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
I have heard a little about it - but I am very interested in it. I would love to learn about it.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:04 PM

502 posts, read 1,391,525 times
I've done this on my cat (now deceased) on a night when we almost lost her to a severe reaction to antibiotics. I've never had a formal lesson on it, but just "decided to try it" since I have read energy/healing books that pertain to healing people. I can't really describe it other than I put my hands over each side of her torso and "thought positive" and "radiated white light/love/good energy into her". I believe it worked :-)

Old 09-23-2012, 02:07 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
I've done this on my cat (now deceased) on a night when we almost lost her to a severe reaction to antibiotics. I've never had a formal lesson on it, but just "decided to try it" since I have read energy/healing books that pertain to healing people. I can't really describe it other than I put my hands over each side of her torso and "thought positive" and "radiated white light/love/good energy into her". I believe it worked :-)
well it surely didn't hurt.....

Old 09-23-2012, 03:28 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
well it surely didn't hurt.....
I think it kind of actually can be harmful in some cases/circumstances.

We had a patient at my hospital who was dying slowly of a parasitic illness. She would recover and do better for a time, then relapse again. Gradually over the course of a year the periods when she was doing well got shorter and shorter. Her owner was struggling with deciding when to euthanize.

The owner's best friend happened to be a reiki master. She kept insisting the dog wasn't ready yet and that she could read that in the dog's energy. She also kept telling the owner that she would know for sure when it was time. I know people are trying to be helpful when they say that, but I think most people don't know for sure...I certainly never did with any of my pets. So this advice tends to keep the owner trapped waiting for that magic lightening strike that never comes.

I just felt like this person's advice really prolonged the struggle and pain for both owner and pet. Eventually the dog came in (she was almost a walking skeleton at that point) and the owner was again teetering on the edge of euthanizing and the reiki master again talked her out of it. Later that night the dog collapsed and starting hemorrhaging and was euthanized as an emergency.

I'm not saying that reiki is bad/hurtful in itself or that all reiki users would act the same way. But I do feel strongly that unproven alternative practices like this aren't a substitute for traditional care, nor should one follow them against their instincts. The owner's instincts were telling her to put the dog down, but she was being told that doing so would go against the dog's spiritual desires- that's a pretty awful position to be in when you're already grieving.

My mom is actually a person who in her younger days say auras and had some strange encounters where she diagnosed people's illnesses based on their energy. I'm more of a skeptic by nature, but I don't discount that such powers exist...I just advise a healthy dose of caution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats