Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:33 AM

81 posts, read 166,014 times

Advertisements

It's driving me crazy! But I don't know what to do about it. In fact I'm writing this after being woken up yet again by scratch scratch, thunk, thunk, scratch. Very annoying.

My very fat, large cat scratches the side edge of his litter box every time he uses it. It doesn't matter if it's just been clean, he still does it. And now he's taught the younger one to do it and it's got to be stopped, but how?

Since we have 2 cats, we have 2 litter boxes, so for the one upstairs I bought a rubber container that you'd store things in, because one thing I'd read is they do this when their box is too small. I don't think that even stops him. And they don't make litter boxes in any other size. I guess I could use one of those under the bed storage containers since they are bigger, but we're talking a lot of floor space being used for something that size.

I can't declaw him since he used to be an inside/outside cat and he probably will be again. I don't think it's tied in with that since he's been inside only for 2 years and this has only started within the past year.

We're planning on taking the cats with us on a long RV trip next year, so it really needs to be brought under control. Not to mention I'd love to be able to sleep through the night without this very loud sound interfering with my sleep.

Has anyone dealt with this, and what did you do about it? He's about 7 years old, neutered, one of the larger breeds and very very fat (which is a whole other issue I'm trying to deal with)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 01:06 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,997 times
If he will use hand cleaner, try that. KIDDING. He is "washing" his paws...getting the litter off.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:14 AM

18,074 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Does he have a designated scratching post--a sturdy and tall one that will really allow him to stretch and get those claws dug in (like covered in sisal rope or sisal material)? Cats need to have good scratching places--it's part of their wellness. You want him scratching, but you want it on a designated place like a scratching post.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:38 AM

I don't, but he also has a chair, and a couch he uses them on, so I'm not really sure it's a claw sharpening issue. Especially as he only does it after going to the bathroom. He's covering his stuff up, but his reach extends to and always gets the edges of his litter box.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:10 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk2TN View Post
It's driving me crazy! But I don't know what to do about it. In fact I'm writing this after being woken up yet again by scratch scratch, thunk, thunk, scratch. Very annoying.
I have to ask why the litter box is so close to your bed? I have one that also scratches the sides after using the box but it's down the hall so doesn't wake me up.

Quote:
My very fat, large cat scratches the side edge of his litter box every time he uses it. It doesn't matter if it's just been clean, he still does it. And now he's taught the younger one to do it and it's got to be stopped, but how?
First, I hope you know that FAT obest cats are on the fast track to diabetes and other health problems that can cost you a bundle and cause much suffering for the cat. Please address that problem and get him reduced.

Quote:
Since we have 2 cats, we have 2 litter boxes, so for the one upstairs I bought a rubber container that you'd store things in, because one thing I'd read is they do this when their box is too small. I don't think that even stops him. And they don't make litter boxes in any other size. I guess I could use one of those under the bed storage containers since they are bigger, but we're talking a lot of floor space being used for something that size.

I can't declaw him since he used to be an inside/outside cat and he probably will be again. I don't think it's tied in with that since he's been inside only for 2 years and this has only started within the past year.
Declawing shouldn't even enter your mind. It's cruel and has been outlawed in most advanced Nations. Declawing wont stop the noise. Better to move the litter boxes where you wont hear them at night.

Quote:
We're planning on taking the cats with us on a long RV trip next year, so it really needs to be brought under control. Not to mention I'd love to be able to sleep through the night without this very loud sound interfering with my sleep.
We have an RV and take the cats with us everywhere. Put the pans at the opposite end of the RV.

Quote:
Has anyone dealt with this, and what did you do about it? He's about 7 years old, neutered, one of the larger breeds and very very fat (which is a whole other issue I'm trying to deal with)
Why have you allowed him to become so fat? Over-feeding a cat is not a kindness at all.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:12 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk2TN View Post
I don't, but he also has a chair, and a couch he uses them on, so I'm not really sure it's a claw sharpening issue. Especially as he only does it after going to the bathroom. He's covering his stuff up, but his reach extends to and always gets the edges of his litter box.
You have to move the litter boxes far enough from your bed so the sound doesn't bother you - or close your bedroom door at night.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 AM

Not sure how to do the multi-quote thing, so will go piece by piece.

Their litter box is actually down the stairs in another level, that's just how loud he is. He'll go from a soft scratch, like he's using no claws, to a loud thunk where his claw catches the plastic edge and causes it to bend than snap into place. There's really no other place to put it otherwise I would.

As far as him being fat and how he got that way. Long story. A few years ago he accidentally and with much heartbreak got left in a house we were flea bombing. Thankfully he was in a very large room that had very high ceilings drafting windows and was able to survive. However he suffered health issues because of it. During his recovery we'd just gotten a puppy, so the puppy was banned in the lower level of the house, while the cat was given free reign over the upper level. Between the health issues and not going outside roaming around any more he became very lazy. When we moved we kept him inside because it was an unfamiliar area as well as dogs in the neighborhood that I didn't want them scaring him, and thus having him run off. Again, leading him to being an inside cat only and contributing to the fat and lazy. He's not gaining any weight, but he's not losing it either. But due to his health issues we have to be very careful how we have him lose the weight and it's going to take a long time for him to get sleek and trim again. But no worries, it IS being dealt with.

Declawing isn't really an option, it's just the only thing I can think of to stop his nails from catching. I came to this board in order to find another alternative. So far I'm not, but I'm still looking. As he's now an indoor only cat there's not a huge problem with it, but as we'll be moving to the country in another year or two, I really don't want to leave him without protection. However, I also can't wait another year or two of dealing with the scratch scratch thunk that goes on every time he uses the bathroom!

Can't put the pans in the opposite end of the RV, that's where the kids sleep and I'm not making their sleep worse just to make my sleep better.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:53 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
My cat does this plenty. As far as I can tell, even the loudest noises have nothing whatsoever to do with claws. It's just the way she's figured out to rub her paw against the edge of it somewhere to get the litter off. The sound may sound something like claws but I'd be very surprised if it actually was. In other words, although I understand you are not considering it, I do not think your conclusion that removing claws would help is correct in the first place.

The loud thunk is either the plastic deforming or the cat dragging his paws across the thing just so that makes it echo. That can happen without claws. The things to do would be try to muffle the sound somewhat or to keep trying boxes of different materials that may be less noisy. I haven't really found a good option though. Every type of box I had still at least sometimes got noisy paw movements.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:11 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
One of mine has the same issue but I have absolutely nothing to suggest! However, I believe Jessica is either retarded or doesn't want to get her paws clogged up with litter. She'll take a big dump and then stand inside the box with her head sticking out, furiously scratching away at the outside of the box as though the poop will miraculously be covered up. The litter box is in the bathroom adjacent to my bedroom and when she does it during the night I just yell, "Stop already!" and she does. However, the others who use the box during the night are pretty disgusted at having to avoid her pile when they need to relieve themselves and, when I get up at dawn, it's obvious that a couple of them have been holding it in and sit by the back door just busting to get outside and dig their holes.

Maybe your poor fat cat just needs to get that weight off so he fits into the box more comfortably ...

Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
do you trim his nails? are you saying eventually he will be an outdoor kitty again? Not a good idea at all.

I use the largest under-the bed storage units I can find and I have 2 for each cat. They are Ragdolls and quite big (17 lbs). I think he just needs a bigger tray, lose weight and trim his claws.

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats