Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times

Advertisements

Jasper loves holidays! Yummy smells from the kitchen. Wrapping gifts, playing with bows...and the Christmas tree! A giant cat toy!

What are your cats like at Christmas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,806,037 times
Oh, my word! Our guy likes to bat ornaments off the tree and try to climb into it. Geez, what a mess. He's scared to death of loud noises though so unwrapping presents unnerves him. If we leave paper on the floor, he will eventually come and pat it before laying and rolling on it. Weirdo.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:48 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,004,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Jasper loves holidays! Yummy smells from the kitchen. Wrapping gifts, playing with bows...and the Christmas tree! A giant cat toy!

What are your cats like at Christmas?
I'll be taking new ones this year. The xmas decorations will be up right after Thanksgiving.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:07 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,576,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I'll be taking new ones this year. The xmas decorations will be up right after Thanksgiving.

You are SO lucky....you are able to put up all your beautiful decorations and apparently they don't get destroyed!!! We haven't been able to put a tree up for several years - but we have 22 cats in our house too. I am scared to death someone would eat something that would harm them or get hurt, or just continuously destroy stuff and make me furious. I have told my hubby - this is their home too - and I cannot in good conscious put decorations out and them go crazy every time they look at something. So, I decorate the outside of our house, and just accept the fact that when you have cats (at least lots of cats) there are some things that just ain't gonna happen....sigh.....

Old 11-15-2012, 11:19 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,004,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
You are SO lucky....you are able to put up all your beautiful decorations and apparently they don't get destroyed!!!
Our only loss was a few glass xmas balls when they were kittens so we replaced all the glass balls with those shatterproof plastic ones. Last year they didn't try and climb the xmas tree.

Quote:
We haven't been able to put a tree up for several years - but we have 22 cats in our house too. I am scared to death someone would eat something that would harm them or get hurt, or just continuously destroy stuff and make me furious.
I avoid the things that can hurt them such as tinsel of all kinds, glass ornaments and ribbon. With 22 cats in the house I can't see how you could have decorations without them wanting to play with them and breaking some of them. Stick to the shatterproof decorations. They're quite common today.

Quote:
I have told my hubby - this is their home too - and I cannot in good conscious put decorations out and them go crazy every time they look at something. So, I decorate the outside of our house, and just accept the fact that when you have cats (at least lots of cats) there are some things that just ain't gonna happen....sigh.....
have you tried distracting them with new cat toys and condos and trees? How about an outdoor enclosure so they can get outside and enjoy the views, the sun... yet be safe? Second grade lumber and chicken wire are cheap. Just a thought.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:37 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,998,603 times
When I had an artificial tree, Lily would try to eat it. When I moved into a new home with less storage space I deep sixed the artificial tree. That Christmas I bought a fresh cut balsam tree. She was fascinated when I brought the tree indoors and laid it down on the kitchen floor. Once I put it in the stand and started decorating, she wasn't interested.

Of all the cats who have owned me, my first - Chopin - was the most destructive with the tree. She would pull the ornaments off the tree with her mouth and paws and toss them down the stairs to the den! Unfortunately, before they hit the den, there was a slate landing at the front door!

As far as the rest of my cats - they've all been more interested by the presents under the tree. Only stick on bows are allowed in my house.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:41 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
This will be Kitty Kattys first Christmas with us!

Old 11-16-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Our only loss was a few glass xmas balls when they were kittens so we replaced all the glass balls with those shatterproof plastic ones. Last year they didn't try and climb the xmas tree.

I avoid the things that can hurt them such as tinsel of all kinds, glass ornaments and ribbon. With 22 cats in the house I can't see how you could have decorations without them wanting to play with them and breaking some of them. Stick to the shatterproof decorations. They're quite common today.

have you tried distracting them with new cat toys and condos and trees? How about an outdoor enclosure so they can get outside and enjoy the views, the sun... yet be safe? Second grade lumber and chicken wire are cheap. Just a thought.

No matter if it were shatterproof or not, even if it didn't break - they would knock stuff off and carry it away. I find lots of interesting stuff under the refrigerator, the stove, etc. Tinsel is an obvious no-no, but the last year I dud put up a tree - within 4 days I had already picked it up and redecorated it about 8 times. I lost my Christmas spirit early that year and then realized I would probably never be able to decorate inside again *sniff*. As for distracting them...you're funny!!! You can only distract some of the cats some of the time. They have literally oodles of toys, we have cat furniture for them both upstairs and downstairs, and they have the entire sunroom full of cat furniture, litter boxes, toys, and it has windows on 3 sides. It is heated/and cooled in the winter/summer. They are not allowed to go outside for any reason - they can see plenty from the windows as the deck is elevated at the rear of the house. There are strays and coyotes in the area as well as quite a few hawks. I appreciate your response - but in the big scheme of things, their safety is more important than me looking at different knick knacks for a few months of the year....sigh.....

Old 11-16-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
This will be Kitty Kattys first Christmas with us!

You know, he sent me a message and told me to tell you that he would LOVE to have either a sister or a wife....hint, hint...nudge,nudge!!!

Old 11-16-2012, 05:22 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
You know, he sent me a message and told me to tell you that he would LOVE to have either a sister or a wife....hint, hint...nudge,nudge!!!
He does not like other cats..... he didn't mind the rottweiler so much but he freaks out over other cats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats