Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 06:10 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,964 times

Advertisements

Some background info, I never had a cat growing up and never particularly cared for them, but we adopted a 4 month old neutered male for the kids (I least wanted a cat but it was my idea to get one for them) and the cat is obsessed with me, it folows me everywhere, sleeps on me, comes when I call it, etc, and while hes affectionate with my wife and kids its only me he for lack of a better word stalks.

Why is this? I was hoping he would bond with my daughter (the one who wanted a cat) and sleep with her and stuff, but it picked me, why? Does anyone know how or why cats "pick" a person?

I treat him as kindly as everyone else in the house but I don't spoil him or anything, so its puzzling. Felines are new to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 06:21 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Cats will often do that. They choose one person as their favorite. Despite the fact I brush, feed, scoop the litterbox etc, one of our 4 cats favors my husband. She's a real Daddy's girl. The male cat wants some attention from my husband but definitely favors me. The other two females don't seem to have favorites but do spend more time seeking attention from me - especially when they want to be fed. How old is your daughter? Does she feed him?

Old 01-08-2013, 06:41 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Cats are mysterious. They do choose their person, and it's often not the person they are "supposed" to choose. Having your daughter feed the cat, and play with it as much as possible may help, but it may take some time. We have 3 cats and none is particularly bonded to my daughter, who was the original cat lover in the house. They all are bonded to me the most, and also my husband. We are retired now and my daughter works, so it's more understandable but it was true even before. One thing I've noticed (and mentioned to her to no avail) is that my daughter doesn't try to figure out how each cat wants to play or interact. She just does what she wants to do with them, and they aren't impressed. Oh well, I became a cat lover pretty quickly and I enjoy being the special friend of 3 kitties.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 PM

786 posts, read 1,593,852 times
I can remember growing up, my mom would sit on the couch, knit and watch TV, she could have cared less about our cat, but that's who Blacky liked, she would sleep in her lap every chance she got, my mom would just ignore her and go on knitting.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:25 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
No idea. I had the same situation with my cat who recently passed away. He didn't care about my ex-wife or my current wife but would follow me around and sit with me for hours and purr like a madman.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:16 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I am not sure. I guess I was lucky with Beau, he was for our daughter. And he bonded with her, immediately, he was her "velcro" Kitty.

But I did place him in her bed every night. Maybe that would help. He knew that was his "bed".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats