Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 10:49 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I think what she was saying is the neighbor had them first because he had adopted them from a third party, and then later after this neighbor's ownership of them, she wound up with possession of the two of them. While with the neighbor they were allowed outside, now they are indoors only.

At least that was my interpretation...?
Oh, OK. I couldn't figure that one out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I believe it.

A neighbor and I take care of two loosely-connected feral/stray colonies (we're about 1/4 mile apart.) We feed, water, TNR and treat for parasites and illnesses or injuries when we can. So, we're known as "cat friendly" or possibly "crazy cat ladies" LOL. Last summer, she watched out her window as a woman drove slowly by her house, paused, ejected two older kittens, then sped away. To my knowledge, I've had two kittens and one adult cat dumped in front of my house in the last year or so.
This has also happened to me. I live out in the country where people tend to dump their unwanted cats and dogs. Over the years I've spent a small fortune on getting them vetted and finding them homes. Two of our last 3 dogs were dumped out on the road. They're now at Rainbow Bridge. Those that wouldn't come near us were at least fed until they moved on on their own or were taken by predators.

Quote:
Too many people regard cats as "throw-away" disposable animals and assume that they'll survive just fine in the wild despite the fact we're in Michigan and it gets seriously cold here...we have an abandoned barn and thermal cat shelters. The very feral cats/kittens have a much better chance of surviving happily for years but the tame ones simply don't have the street smarts.
It gets pretty darn cold in TN also. Cats will starve to death if they don't freeze on a bitter cold night. There isn't enough prey for cats to live on. Half starved cats carrying a parasite load don't survive the winters where I live.

Quote:
We've managed to find homes for a few of them but most probably wouldn't be suited for indoor living even if we could find homes which is a WAY long shot around here. I don't even encourage them to get tame, I figure their chances are much better if they remain extremely wary.
With the high number of sadists and psychopaths out there these days, that is true.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:57 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
This has also happened to me. I live out in the country where people tend to dump their unwanted cats and dogs. Over the years I've spent a small fortune on getting them vetted and finding them homes. Two of our last 3 dogs were dumped out on the road. They're now at Rainbow Bridge. Those that wouldn't come near us were at least fed until they moved on on their own or were taken by predators.

It gets pretty darn cold in TN also. Cats will starve to death if they don't freeze on a bitter cold night. There isn't enough prey for cats to live on. Half starved cats carrying a parasite load don't survive the winters where I live.

With the high number of sadists and psychopaths out there these days, that is true.

I know it. One of the cats dropped at my house disappeared after a few days, probably chased off by the other cats. One kitten dropped off was too shy or wild for me to get to; he also disappeared shortly, I suspect killed by the resident dominant tomcat. The other kitten cost me about $150 in worming, shots and SNAP testing but, yay! A local cat rescue took him and he was quickly adopted...he was WAY too friendly to survive outside.

I have two indoor cats, but I'm actually not really a cat person (haha) and I also have three dogs. One of my dogs is totally OK with my indoor cats that he grew up with, but I don't trust him one bit with other cats; fast-moving kittens in particular.

About once a year I mix dewormer in with canned food for the cats I can't get to - most are untouchable. In winter I feed high protein grain-free kibble, kitten food and plenty of canned food and meat (chicken gizzards are cheap and the cats love them!) The ferals stay pretty fat and happy and the population is stabilizing...I am very thankful that there are a couple of organizations near me that will spay/neuter cats and kittens for as low as $10. I bought four HavaHart live traps and they get plenty of use....

Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:

I know it. One of the cats dropped at my house disappeared after a few days, probably chased off by the other cats. One kitten dropped off was too shy or wild for me to get to; he also disappeared shortly, I suspect killed by the resident dominant tomcat. The other kitten cost me about $150 in worming, shots and SNAP testing but, yay! A local cat rescue took him and he was quickly adopted...he was WAY too friendly to survive outside.
They disappear at our house too. The last was a small young pregnant tortoise shell. I'm sure something had her for dinner. She wouldn't come close to us. $150 is about what I've spend on most cats to have them vetted. It cost much more for the tomcat with the badly torn thigh. Now retired, we can't keep doing this. And now, finding cats homes has become almost impossible where I live. All the Rescues are full and never want to take them even though I've already paid to vet them.

Quote:
I have two indoor cats, but I'm actually not really a cat person (haha) and I also have three dogs. One of my dogs is totally OK with my indoor cats that he grew up with, but I don't trust him one bit with other cats; fast-moving kittens in particular.
I understand that. Two of our 3 dogs (now deceased) would kill anything smaller than themselves that wasn't another dog.

Quote:
About once a year I mix dewormer in with canned food for the cats I can't get to - most are untouchable. In winter I feed high protein grain-free kibble, kitten food and plenty of canned food and meat (chicken gizzards are cheap and the cats love them!) The ferals stay pretty fat and happy and the population is stabilizing...I am very thankful that there are a couple of organizations near me that will spay/neuter cats and kittens for as low as $10. I bought four HavaHart live traps and they get plenty of use....
That's fantastic! Keep up the good work.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:42 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,512,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
That is a very sad story!! Reading it and then seeing her pics made me cry! She sure was a "Cutie Pie"! Her face...... so sweet and innocent!

Thank you for saying that. The entire vet office - and us - were devastated when she died. She was beloved by everyone. Had the "it" factor.

Two of her siblings went to kind neighbors but one died at age 2 of sudden hypertrophic cardiomyopathy - he was in agony from a rear blood clot (maybe related to how Cutie Pie died?) and had to be mercifully euthanized. The other cat, also a calico, is fine and aged 3 now.

The fourth sibling was kept by the owners and they let him out sometimes as much as 24 hours a day, but I did manage to persuade them to bring him in from the snow - and the best thing is that I took the owner to my vet and he was willing to get that cat (again, this is the late kitten, Cutie Pie's sibling) neutered, all shots and everything and lined up for yearly vet checks. So, you have to do what you can, not a perfect answer.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
They disappear at our house too. The last was a small young pregnant tortoise shell. I'm sure something had her for dinner. She wouldn't come close to us. $150 is about what I've spend on most cats to have them vetted. It cost much more for the tomcat with the badly torn thigh. Now retired, we can't keep doing this. And now, finding cats homes has become almost impossible where I live. All the Rescues are full and never want to take them even though I've already paid to vet them.

I understand that. Two of our 3 dogs (now deceased) would kill anything smaller than themselves that wasn't another dog.

That's fantastic! Keep up the good work.

Do I ever understand. We are trying to find homes for our two kittens and so far we have spent hundreds on them, and now we will pay, next week, $800 out of pocket to have Precious's side teeth removed...Doing rescue is so expensive and like you, we cannot keep doing this. We just don't have that kind of income.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:

I believe that raccoons also kill kittens. How sad for that kitten you are writing about!

You have been doing so much for homeless cats! Kudos to you!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:

This is all so hard for you to have to experience!!! OMG!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:14 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I rescued several cats who were "strays" or feral. Most were obviously pets at one time, just skittish after being on the street for awhile. They want homes, and crave human companionship. These cats make the most loving and docile pets. Some, not all. The ones who were abused are often prone to bite and attack.

Rescuing cats is something I have done, when one literally falls into your lap, I think it is a fate. And there is a reason for that encounter. There is a reason, and you were meant to save that cat. I dont know why, but Itruly believe that.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
This is all so hard for you to have to experience!!! OMG!
It could be very depressing but there are always a few rays of sunshine. We were feeding 2 starving dogs dumped in the parking lot by the nearby lake where we go for walks. I put an ad on Craigslist about them and their exact location. I got many emails from dog and cat lovers and both dogs were trapped and rescued. They were too fearful to come near anyone. One was a German shepherd and one a mini pincher. They stayed together and lived under a large fallen tree. Feeding them was all we could do since we no longer have a fenced area or dog houses to keep dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats