Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 09:22 AM

532 posts, read 1,068,985 times

Advertisements

The cats I had in the past tended to snuggle up with me at least at my feet, but the current (very much loved) one, does not. He walks over to me when I wake up, but is never there when I wake up. He was a well cared for stray and a nice gentle boy, but wonder why he doesn't snuggle more? This is why I'm getting some more kitties. I need more love!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 10:36 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,525 times
They just have a diversity of personalities. I have three that I have had since they were 1.5 weeks old (feral litter unearthed by my dog, mother scared off by the dog). Hand-raised, all received equal amounts of attention. Only one is a snuggle-bug. The other two are very picky and choosy about when they want their love, and it has to be on their terms.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:01 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
Your future kitties will be very lucky! We had a dog once who wasn't very affectionate. He got alot more affectionate when we got a second dog and he had to compete for the attention. Let us know if that happens with your current kitty.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:48 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
Mine sleep on my head, chest, back,neck...walk all over me. Ive gotten use to it over tge years but many nights they are on lockout from the bedroom....and then the screaming begins.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:58 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
The cats I had in the past tended to snuggle up with me at least at my feet, but the current (very much loved) one, does not. He walks over to me when I wake up, but is never there when I wake up. He was a well cared for stray and a nice gentle boy, but wonder why he doesn't snuggle more? This is why I'm getting some more kitties. I need more love!!!
lol, I too find the snuggly ones very special! Mine all have different personalities and want/need different levels of affection. I have one, Gretel, who sleeps with me every night ... she lays on my lap while I'm reading in bed, which I always do for awhile before shutting off the lights/background TV. She usually sleeps at my feet. I find it sweet and comforting to sleep with a kitty.

Most of my others like SOME affection. When I am watching TV, Einstein will jump on me and basically wrap himself around my chest, burying his face in my left shoulder. While he does that, Hansel will be half on me (right shoulder), half on the sofa behind me. Quinn would like to be held and carried around 24/7 ... can't do that! (He's also, at 16 pounds, too big for that!! I try to get him to sit next to me so I can pet him, but he wants to be HELD even though he doesn't really fit.) My others want to be picked up/held only when they are in the mood, and they are usually fine after a minute or two, then they want me to put them down so they can run away and play.

You will find after you get your new kitties that they are all different! Here's hoping you get at least one snuggler!

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 03-30-2013 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-30-2013, 01:25 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Snickers is a cuddler and a snuggler. He likes to be picked up and held like a baby, plus he sleeps under the covers with me.

Smokey on the other hand, is neither a snuggler or cuddler, and doesn't like to be picked up. But she's affectionate in her own way. She likes to be petted, she gives me kisses, and will sleep on my lap, or with her head on my leg or foot.

Since you're getting three, you might end up with one that's really snuggly and cuddly, though.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:02 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Mackey used to do the STARE, at me when I was in bed, so I would let him under the comforter and he would purr so loudly I could not get to sleep! Jasper has evolved. When I first got him he slept on the foot of the bed, now, three years later, he sleeps next to my head. Jasper is not a cuddle cat. I often wonder if that is a bonding issue, as I got him as an adult rescue. My other cats were cuddle bugs, I got them as kittens. Not sure.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:55 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
Nothing like opening your eyes to the STARE....for hours

Old 03-30-2013, 03:43 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Mackey used to do the STARE, at me when I was in bed, so I would let him under the comforter and he would purr so loudly I could not get to sleep! Jasper has evolved. When I first got him he slept on the foot of the bed, now, three years later, he sleeps next to my head. Jasper is not a cuddle cat. I often wonder if that is a bonding issue, as I got him as an adult rescue. My other cats were cuddle bugs, I got them as kittens. Not sure.
That sounds like a logical connection, but it doesn't always work that way ... my MOST cuddly cat is the only one that I have now that I got as an adult. He would love for me to hold him and pet him and tell him how wonderful he is 24/7!! (I always think to myself, "Someone really loved you" when I see him, because clearly someone before me bonded with him and cuddled with him in a major way. He was a stray and I have wondered why his owner didn't look for him, or at least not too hard, as he was caught by the Humane Society. The only thing I can think of is that maybe he is from far away and somehow managed to end up near where I live.)

I also thought in the past that the more I pick them up and cuddle with them when they're kittens, the more cuddly they'll become. Again, at least for my kitties, it didn't work that way. Some loved being picked up and cuddled as kittens and still do as adults ... some squirmed as kittens and still do as adults!

Old 03-30-2013, 03:59 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
We've got one cat that regularly performs what my spouse calls "cat-jitsu," i.e., the act of pinning a human down in bed so he can get snuggles and petting. He'll even sit on the bed and meow impatiently at whoever is putting on pajamas, as if to say "hurry up, petter-person, what's taking you so long - I want a snuggle."

The other fellow will come up to make biscuits on any soft piece of human he can find, but he's not interested in settling in for a long snuggle. In the winter, he'll sleep on the bed down near our feet, but once the weather warms up, he prefers to snooze by himself. He's also the guy who isn't at all interested in lap-sitting, though he's perfectly delighted to sit on the end table beside me so I can rub his face.

We got both of the boys as adults, and both were rescues. I think it's just a reflection of differing feline personalities; like people, some cats are snuggly and others are more standoffish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats