Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 08:30 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,445,455 times

Advertisements

Ok so my brat is going to be 19 in October and has all of his teeth. I currently leave out Purina Cat Chow all day for him to eat. Its the hard crunchy stuff. I occasionally give him wet food as well. I'm wondering if I should transition him into more moist food because he is older and I don't want him breaking a tooth or anything. Am I being a total spaz or not? Also, if you think it is a good idea, what food would you recommend?? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 11:06 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times
Senior Cat Pet Food Guide | PetSmart
A bit of guidance^^

Take him in for a check up and see if he has any special needs. My cats are "senior" cats and the vet recommended canned food for hydration for both and avoiding crystals for one. Its a prescription and kinda expensive but cheaper than a vet bill and stress. Good quality cat food (non-script) is about the same price.

You have to adjust the diet very slowly by blending the old with the new a bit at a time to avoid digestive issues.

I would go with the vet suggestion. They seemed pleased the castor pollux choice for the other old cat but he is fine on the prescription too. (its a multi cat type)

C-P:
Senior Cat | www.castorpolluxpet.com

Old 05-25-2013, 11:24 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,368,313 times
Oh hi himain. I think a lot of people will chime in on this one. It is my opinion that a wet food diet is better. Better for any cat but your cat is much older and does not need those unnecessary carbs. They also can't really chew dry food.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Senior Cat Pet Food Guide | PetSmart
A bit of guidance^^

Take him in for a check up and see if he has any special needs. My cats are "senior" cats and the vet recommended canned food for hydration for both and avoiding crystals for one. Its a prescription and kinda expensive but cheaper than a vet bill and stress. Good quality cat food (non-script) is about the same price.

You have to adjust the diet very slowly by blending the old with the new a bit at a time to avoid digestive issues.

I would go with the vet suggestion. They seemed pleased the castor pollux choice for the other old cat but he is fine on the prescription too. (its a multi cat type)

C-P:
Senior Cat | www.castorpolluxpet.com
I wonder if that is the food our vet is thinking of for Kitty Katty. He had a very elevated amount of crystals in his urine that came back this morning....

How is your cat doing with it? Does (s)he like it?

Old 05-25-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I wonder if that is the food our vet is thinking of for Kitty Katty. He had a very elevated amount of crystals in his urine that came back this morning....

How is your cat doing with it? Does (s)he like it?
The crystals food is:
c/d® Multicare Feline Bladder Health with Chicken - Canned

He never had canned food before and was just on the castor pollux dry. Was fine with that for a year and then we got a bag of cheap food as the store stopped carrying CP. Long story short and a ridiculous vet bill later he is back on the script. He loves the dry and the canned has to be very fresh for him to eat it. If it sits he won't eat it. To me it takes a strange smell if its left open to air. Sometimes i mix some 9 lives in with it so he will eat it. I wash the dishes every time so I don't know what causes the smell other than some sort of oxidation as the food gets browned like a banana if it sits. He prefers fish flavors over the chicken if it is in stock. The type we get has to be sold with a script card. I saw CD in an otc form but I don't know if its the same thing. So far so good. I give him dry script at least once a day. Canned spoons 2x a day. He is leaner on the mostly canned mix. He was getting a little too fat on dry only.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
The crystals food is:
c/d® Multicare Feline Bladder Health with Chicken - Canned

He never had canned food before and was just on the castor pollux dry. Was fine with that for a year and then we got a bag of cheap food as the store stopped carrying CP. Long story short and a ridiculous vet bill later he is back on the script. He loves the dry and the canned has to be very fresh for him to eat it. If it sits he won't eat it. To me it takes a strange smell if its left open to air. Sometimes i mix some 9 lives in with it so he will eat it. I wash the dishes every time so I don't know what causes the smell other than some sort of oxidation as the food gets browned like a banana if it sits. He prefers fish flavors over the chicken if it is in stock. The type we get has to be sold with a script card. I saw CD in an otc form but I don't know if its the same thing. So far so good. I give him dry script at least once a day. Canned spoons 2x a day. He is leaner on the mostly canned mix. He was getting a little too fat on dry only.
Whatever food my vet was talking about, she said if he were to be on that, he should eat that and only that. No other foods, no kitty treats, etc.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Whatever food my vet was talking about, she said if he were to be on that, he should eat that and only that. No other foods, no kitty treats, etc.

Same here. I don't give them treats though so that part never came up.He had a history of actual crystals when he was a kitten and this last time it was a blockage but they vet did not find actual crystals in the blockage or bladder but it was irritated. From the history she suggested to go back on the script food. He did not have actual crystals at this last appointment so the vet said it was fine to mix in the 9 lives for flavor but not to feed them that as a full substitute. I was told to avoid salmon and tuna meat by one vet as it can cause crystals in some cats.

If there were actual crystals I would not mess around with mixing. You cat may actually like the canned. My cat is sorta picky you know what and never had canned in his life before this issue I treated in his adult life. Be really careful to keep an eye on your cat. My vet told me it can be fatal in less than 24 hours so I rub his belly everyday to make sure he is not experiencing irritation. Box cleaning daily doesn't really tell me much since its a multiple cat house.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:27 PM

So the vet did mention that he had crystals in his urine-Isn't that the same as having like clear urine?? They didn't mention anything about special food as his bloodwork came back ok. Do you think I should call them and get their opinion on maybe changing food?? Not worried about the price. I just want whats best for brat.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
So the vet did mention that he had crystals in his urine-Isn't that the same as having like clear urine?? They didn't mention anything about special food as his bloodwork came back ok. Do you think I should call them and get their opinion on maybe changing food?? Not worried about the price. I just want whats best for brat.

I would and maybe try a different vet.

Feline lower urinary tract disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Crystals in the Urine in Cats | petMD

The Non-Obstructed Cat

Find one that specializes in cats. Its good that he is healthy now by bloodwork. If you don't have pet health insurance I would get it just because if he gets a blockage its $$$$ to treat and can kill very quickly. Make sure you have an emergency care provider in mind before the issue arises so you don't waste time finding a vet.

It could be normal but its best to take preventative measures in my opinion. It was kinda scary how fast my cat went downhill when he had a blockage. He was grumpy and walking funny mid morning. I thought he just jumped off the couch wrong or something. By late evening he was giving me "the look" (droopy eye sick cat face) and would growl if I pressed his belly. We had to take him into emergency care. He had to stay in the clinic for a couple days to make sure his bladder was flushed out. Upon coming home it was meds every 4 hours and I had to force feed him with a monoject syringe and off my finger eventually. He would not eat on his own. I just couldn't believe how fast it happened, how costly it was to fix and the follow up care was like caring for a newborn baby that can bite your face off. LOL
He is fine now so it was totally worth it.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:48 AM

I did have bloodwork. All came back normal.

I'm just thinking of changing his food to something more soft. Have no medical reason yet to do so but just want to for his old age and teeth healthy-ness (if that's a word?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats