Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:29 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,331 times

Advertisements

Catnip is a great idea, also really go to town on the number and types of scratching posts. The more the better, make sure they are tall rough and sterdy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,920 times
2 year old cat,with claws scratching on my leather. Tried water bottle he loves water.Help.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 PM

638 posts, read 993,752 times
We used a spray called smartykat Scratch Not which worked. I think we bought it at Target. In addition,just like previous posters have said,you have to have other scratching options for them to use.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:12 PM

575 posts, read 1,996,551 times
Leather, may it be in the form of a couch, purse, or shoes is always a very attractive thing for kitties. They are going to scratch it chew it whatever if they can. Ask anyone who's gone and left a pair of boots laying about A leather sofa and a cat just don't mix. Even if they don't intentionally dig claws into it, they are going to puncture it as they walk across it at some point.

The only thing IMHO that you can do is to provide an over abundance of more appealing scratching options for you cat. Vertical and horizontal and of different materials - carpet, sisal, cardboard. Some people will also put some double sided tape along the edges of the sofa as a deterrence the cat - I can't say how well this may work as I only have fabric furniture with animals in my home.

I wish you luck and please consider new furniture before declawing that baby.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:36 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
DO NOT use the double sided tape on leather!! It will ruin it.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:59 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
There are lots of solutions you can spend your money on.

None will work.

But:

The human buttocks is very flexible and tolerant.

Sitting on claw marks won't bother it at all.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:28 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
Try getting the cat a cat tree with some height, to sit on. I did that years ago. Height = status, and my cats have always preferred the taller cat trees to my furniture, and they scratch the verticals of the cat trees and leave my furniture alone. One cat also likes the cardboard scratchers.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:31 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I was gonna ask this question last week, and simply forgot, that is until this past weekend. Our little kitty has recently decided to sharpen her claws on our leather furniture. I do not want to have her declawed at all, thats out of the picture. My question is, is there anything that one can wipe on the furniture to keep the cat from clawing it up? She knows she not supposed to, and doesnt when Im watching her-lol.

Even if you use a great scratching post, your kitty is possibly going to want to scratch your furniture sometimes. We ended up with a solution that works for us: We had a man from an upholstery company come and measure our furniture and make zippered clear vinyl covers for all upholstered pieces in the LR and DR. It saved the day for us.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:16 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I don't have leather furniture, but what worked for us was throwing blankets, afghans etc. over the places where the cats liked to scratch while we trained them to scratch elsewhere, mostly on scratching mats spiked with nip. After a few months, we were able to remove the blankets full-time and they haven't bothered the furniture since.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,303 times
Default Animal Lover?

It is possible to love pets and still want nice things, such as furniture. An animal is trainable just as kids are and if you live in a pigsty just because you have pets does not make you an animal lover, it makes you an idiot. I have cats who have destryed my couch and when I buy a new one, I want to give it a decent chance of surviving the cats. Doesn't mke me a bad pet owner just because I want a nice house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats