Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 11:43 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times

Advertisements

Drugging the cat because he wants your attention in the middle of the night is a terrible thing to do, in my opinion. I hope no one else decides to try this, after reading this post. There are other, much safer humane ideas, which have been posted here already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 12:15 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Drugging the cat because he wants your attention in the middle of the night is a terrible thing to do, in my opinion. I hope no one else decides to try this, after reading this post. There are other, much safer humane ideas, which have been posted here already.
Why is it a terrible idea? Everyone will get some rest.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
If animals and people can't sleep due to mental or physical problems, there is medication so rest can be had---pain medication, sleep medication, etc. Human dementia patients are given sedatives for dementia related insomnia. Zolpidem for dementia-related insomnia and ... [Ann Pharmacother. 1997] - PubMed - NCBI It makes perfect sense to give pets with dementia a sedative to help them rest if they have dementia related insomnia.

There comes a point when it's not about attention and attention won't help the pet. Sometimes the most selfless thing a pet owner can do is take their own personal needs to be needed out of the equation and let science take over when necessary. If a pet can't sleep because it's distressed, the only one getting satisfaction out of the attention is the owner feeling needed.

It seems the OP's complaining has prevented you from seeing that the vet did the right thing for the pet. It sounds like the vet has determined the cat has dementia insomnia and wandering.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:55 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
I'm getting a little tired of so much in this and various other threads being along the lines of "OMG you're doing it WRONG!!!1!"

Sometimes I think people are trying to be helpful but are not mindful of the way they come across with a bunch of strangers online. Other times people are purposely trying to be nasty. Neither of these turns out to be particularly useful to those who post a question here and are generally seriously looking for some helpful ideas.

Sigh. I don't know why I should care so much but I do care about people getting help when they are concerned about their cat's behavior or health. Berating people will NEVER help, regardless of what they have said or what they are choosing to do.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:21 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
The vet didn't say anything about dementia at all. He just says sometimes cats internal clock flip when they get older and now he's nocturnal. So we'll see how it goes.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:48 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
I never said anything about who is right or who is wrong. I am voicing my opinion on the topic of this thread and on the treatment prescribed.

Yes, of course there are times when medication is called for. However, sedatives and cats don't often mix very well, cats do not react predictably to sedatives.

In fact they often have opposite of the desired effect, causing restlessness and anxiety in cats. This is something anyone using sedatives with a cat should know.

In addition, anyone using sedatives on a cat, especially an elderly cat, should know that sedatives depress the respiratory system and slow the heart rate. This could be very dangerous in any cat, and even more so in an elderly cat. Close supervision is needed.

I am not trying to convince the OP of anything at this point. I am stating this information, along with my opinions, for anyone else who may read this thread now or in the future.

I think it's important that people know that there are other, safer, much less drastic, things that can be tried first, when a cat reaches this stage of life.

That's all.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:55 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
The vet didn't say anything about dementia at all. He just says sometimes cats internal clock flip when they get older and now he's nocturnal. So we'll see how it goes.
Interesting. Maybe playing with him to tire him out after dinner time could help make him sleepy?

I have to giggle a bit because I imagine it being similar to a human problem I have in certain weather of too cold without blankets and too hot with blankets...we all have had those nights. LOL

Old 09-11-2013, 10:03 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
I dislike the use of negative terms to describe an innocent animal. If he is "spoiled" it is because you "spoiled him" not because he is a "brat". And it isn't possible anyway to "spoil" a 19 year old cat. He is entitled to any special treatment he can get.

Your attitude about this precious boy, at least in print, comes off very poorly. I would think you would cherish every moment with him, not call him names and spray him with water over behaviors he can't help.

Hopefully your vet will have enough sense to NOT vaccinate a 19 year old cat. Spending time examining him, taking blood and urine for testing, checking his blood pressure and hearing, would be a lot more productive.
So I guess you have a problem with me calling my Sushi The Demon Spawn from the Seventh Circle of Hell?

Old 09-11-2013, 11:51 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I need to have him vaccinated due to him being boarded in December and I cannot without him getting another tune up.

I don't know how long you've been a "catmom" but I've had cats for almost 33 years. So pipe down please and relax.

I'll ask my vet if they make cat Ambian or Lunesta, lol
It's the same where I got my cat groomed, but I asked for an exception if I showed them she's been vaccinated her whole life (16 years at that point) and they OK'd it.

Please see if the boarding place will do the same - he does not need any more vaccinations.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:27 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
So he's doing fine after the vaccinations.

I gave him half of the .25 pill last night and it definitely did help. He only woke me up 4 times but wasn't as adamant about it. I gave it to him late as I got home late from work so it should kick in better tonight as I'll be off on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats