Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 06:07 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm really relating to this thread. Our cat just turned 18. She is also is quite good health. She has recently started howling in the middle of the night (I actually even started a thread on it a few months ago). The howling is LOUD and it wakes us up from a sound sleep almost every night. It literally (and I'm not exaggerating) sounds like she is being tortured to death. You can't just lie in bed and ignore it. You have to get up and go check on her, even though you know what you're going to find when you get to where she is: She'll be in a relaxed position, nothing whatsoever going on, and will look at you like, "What are you doing up at this hour?" It's enough to drive you crazy, even when you love them to death!
My older kitty did this. At first, going to her or even calling to her calmed her.

Later, I had to take her to bed with me.

I gave her a pillow next to mine or she would steal mine, inch by inch, while I slept.

I think she was waking up disoriented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 06:10 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Troll alert obviously ^^

He's already going Wed for his shots so I'll talk to the vet then. Again, he's not being restless or bumping into things. Nothing out of the ordinary except this. And if I didn't clarify before he's done this in the past even when he was younger but now he's being more persistent about it.
nothing out of the ordinary except this out of the ordinary thing

This one needs to be solved - and I don't think the problem is bratiiness. I am shocked that you would say that about your elderly kitty-love.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:36 PM

22,317 posts, read 29,400,492 times
OMG what it is with me calling my cat a brat?? It's not meant in a bad way-he's just sooo spoiled so he's a spoiled brat cat.

I'll keep you guys posted on what the vet says.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:47 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
I think cause other people don't get the tonality as that is lost in text on the net. I know what you mean.
Waiting to hear back on the vet about cat insomnia...

Old 09-09-2013, 05:24 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
OMG what it is with me calling my cat a brat?? It's not meant in a bad way-he's just sooo spoiled so he's a spoiled brat cat.

I'll keep you guys posted on what the vet says.
I dislike the use of negative terms to describe an innocent animal. If he is "spoiled" it is because you "spoiled him" not because he is a "brat". And it isn't possible anyway to "spoil" a 19 year old cat. He is entitled to any special treatment he can get.

Your attitude about this precious boy, at least in print, comes off very poorly. I would think you would cherish every moment with him, not call him names and spray him with water over behaviors he can't help.

Hopefully your vet will have enough sense to NOT vaccinate a 19 year old cat. Spending time examining him, taking blood and urine for testing, checking his blood pressure and hearing, would be a lot more productive.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:29 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Aw, lighten up. She only called him a brat as a term of endearment, she didn't say, "I hate this damn cat." If you go back and reread her original post you will see how much she loves him. So there is no need to get all huffy about a simple word. She has had him for 19 years, that should tell you something about how she is crazy about him.

I love my cats to death, but will be the first to say that our newest, Daisy, is a "bad" cat. Not bad in a bad way, but just ornery. She is always into something and is always looking for some trouble to get into..........hence, she is a bad cat. But that is part of her appeal, and I wouldn't have her any other way.

The original poster has nothing to apologize for, every cat in the world should be loved as much as her's is.

Don

Old 09-09-2013, 11:46 AM

I posted an explanation because the OP asked for one. I don't consider the word "brat" a term of endearment.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:20 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I posted an explanation because the OP asked for one. I don't consider the word "brat" a term of endearment.

Sure it is. How many people call their kids "Rug Rats", or "monsters", or even "brats" ? We all have done that at one time or another, in just a kidding way, and most normal people understand that we really don't mean it.

Don

Old 09-09-2013, 03:05 PM

As I said, I do not consider brat, or any of the other terms you mentioned, terms of endearment. I was raised in a household where teasing and name calling was not allowed. We were taught to show respect and love to the people and pets we cared about. I don't think that was a bad thing, and 50 years later I still feel the same way. I hate name calling, negativity breeds negativity.

Back on topic, regardless of any diagnosis, I reiterate my advice to install some feliway plug in diffusers. These helped my most recent elderly girl quite a lot in her last years, she felt more settled and the nightly pacing over my body and face was greatly reduced.

I wish I'd know about feliway for my previous seniors, or maybe it wasn't even around back then.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:15 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Sure it is. How many people call their kids "Rug Rats", or "monsters", or even "brats" ? We all have done that at one time or another, in just a kidding way, and most normal people understand that we really don't mean it.
FWIW, I agree with that. But I could easily see how the construction "He's just being a brat" could be construed as someone thinking the cat was doing something just to annoy them. In reality a cat can't possibly be doing so, no matter how much it may seem like it. It's worth making sure people understand that a cat (or other pet) won't have a human type psychological/emotional motive for its actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats