Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 07:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

My husband went away for a long fishing weekend with his buddies. I decided to tackle the master bedroom. Since he works nights, he's usually sleeping in there during the day, which means it's next to impossible to clean it or keep it organized.

Bobbles thought it was a blast. She was all over the bed when I was ripping off the sheets. Hopping everywhere. I had big garbage bags I was filling with clothes and shoes to give to Goodwill and she kept jumping in the bag every time I tossed a new item. Most hilarious was when I started going through boxes and bags stored in the back corners of my closet. I found bills and paperwork from 2004! It was embarrassing until it turned joyous when I found the lost title to one of our vehicles we want to take to the scrap yard. Bobbles was hopping on the piles of papers I had stacked on the floor around me. She started attacking the ones in my hands. Somehow she knew which pile was the "important" pile and she wanted to mess that pile up the most.

But funniest of all was when I was putting clean sheets on the bed. She was hopping everywhere. She especially loved putting pillowcases on 6 pillows. She fought me the entire time and then chased after them when I tossed them to the head of the bad. Then she wouldn't leave when I put the top sheet on, so I made the bed with her in it. My childhood Persians would do that. Only they liked being under the fitted sheet. She stayed under there slinking around for eternity. I lifted the covers, thinking she might not know how to get out but she just wanted to stay there.

I have a feeling that Bobbles will be involved in any project I do. It's fun to have her around.

I'm just wondering how she and I are going to sew new curtains together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 07:48 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
I have one of "those" kind of kitties - that need to be a part of everything I do. Actually - several of mine are that way. Arlo likes to help me change the bed - chasing the sheet when I snap it out over the mattress. Sometimes I'll put him in a pillowcase and gently shake it back and forth a bit, open it up and then watch him stagger out. He crawls right back in for another "ride"!! Buddy is my maintenance supervisor - any project that I'm doing - big or small - he is right there to watch and offer instruction. He supervises litterbox scooping (literally will climb in the box and try to paw the litter while I'm scooping), following the vacuum cleaner, mopping, etc. One of his nicknames is "Dammit Buddy" as you can imagine his commentary and instruction is not usually wanted by me (or even asked for!!). He does enjoy helping though, and since it's his house too, I guess I have to step aside sometimes. It always amuses me to see that the most mundane things around the house are absolutely fascinating to our cats - they see everything as a toy or a challenge - which is why they are so childlike and adorable, to me anyway!!! Enjoy your Bobbles girl - after the curtains are done you will have to teach her how to help you bake cookies. This will be her very first holiday season - she has lots to look forward to (and so do you, Mama!!!)

Old 09-22-2013, 07:55 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Ah, Christmas decorating, right around the corner...they love everything to do with the holidays, from decorating the house, to supervising cooking dinner.

I had a cat, who literally complained when the house was too cluttered and messy for him. He wanted all surfaces to be clear, for him to lay on, majestically, and survey his kingdom.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
It always amuses me to see that the most mundane things around the house are absolutely fascinating to our cats - they see everything as a toy or a challenge - which is why they are so childlike and adorable, to me anyway!!!
Bobbles is FASCINATED with the toilet. She stands up and looks in while we're using it. It's quite a challenge for the men when they are standing. Every time we flush it, she comes running over to look inside it.

She also thinks my taking a bath is wonderful. She sits and watches, waiting for a drop of water to go down the outside of the tub. She zeros in on the little things.

Like STINK BUGS! If you don't live in an area of the country invaded by stink bugs, you won't appreciate how wonderful it is that Bobbles has made it her mission to kill every stink bug around. I think she eats them too, which is super gross because they stink to high heaven. And Penn State said the stink bug doesn't have natural predators in the United States. Obviously, Penn State never met Bobbles!

Old 09-22-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ah, Christmas decorating, right around the corner...they love everything to do with the holidays, from decorating the house, to supervising cooking dinner.
It's a good thing I don't decorate for Christmas. I stopped that after my Labrador knocked down the Christmas tree FOUR years in a row!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I had a cat, who literally complained when the house was too cluttered and messy for him. He wanted all surfaces to be clear, for him to lay on, majestically, and survey his kingdom.
That's hilarious! I'm not sure I could keep a cat like that happy. Things pile up quickly around here. I plan to buy Bobbles cat shelves. The shelves you put on the wall randomly so they can jump and climb to the highest shelf near the ceiling. I think she'd like those.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:20 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Bobbles is a lucky little girl! I bet she'll love those shelves.
Just as well you don't do a Christmas tree, because kittens and trees have been bad news for us every single time. Our youngest is 2 and we're trying to figure out if he's old enough to behave this year or not. He's been the hardest on trees of anyone so far.
My 4 year old boy is the best helper, though. He loves bedmaking too, and any other household tasks. We have to put him away when repairmen come over. He doesn't try to help exactly, but he does want to supervise, and at very close range (like peering around their shoulders). If he comes back as a human I think he'll definitely be a handyman.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:22 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
My brother lives out in the country. he has a small pond that he's stocked with catfish. At one time he had a cat named B. C., AKA Barn Cat.

The pond is a short distance from the house, so when he fed the catfish, he would load the food on his small ATV, a Gator. When B.C. heard the Gator start up, he come running and hop on the passenger seat to go help feed the fish.

R.I.P., B.C.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Bobbles is a lucky little girl! I bet she'll love those shelves.
I hope so! I don't have floor space for cat "furniture." I'm hoping cat shelves will be a nice alternative. We have high 10' ceilings. It like to space them line in the first picture, but have funky cool looking ones in the second picture. I really like the "steps" too, but I doubt I can go that far because I think they are handmade, not something I can order. I have a lot of vertical space so I figure I should try to use it! The very bottom picture is just a dream that will probably never happen. I just wanted to share because it's a super cool stairwell.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My brother lives out in the country. he has a small pond that he's stocked with catfish. At one time he had a cat named B. C., AKA Barn Cat.

The pond is a short distance from the house, so when he fed the catfish, he would load the food on his small ATV, a Gator. When B.C. heard the Gator start up, he come running and hop on the passenger seat to go help feed the fish.

R.I.P., B.C.
Awe! That reminds me of our childhood indoor/outdoor cat. He would always join the family dog walks. He'd walk freely along side us. He thought it was super cool to be out in the neighborhood with is people and dog friends.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:24 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
Fiona does the "helping" thing when I'm making the bed. If she's there, she absolutely won't move! I can tug and pull on the bedding, cover her completely and she sticks right where she is.

Hopes, I didn't know that this characteristic is one common to Persians. Fiona is a Persian Mix, so this explains her behaviour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats