Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 7,798 times

Advertisements

http://img.photo bucket.com/albums/v...image.jpg1.jpgI know this is an old thread, but it was reassuring to read. Our 5-month-old cat, Wilson, has always had unusually large pupils. My daughter found him in a downtown parking garage - he was only about four weeks old and just skin and bones. He also, like some other posters have noticed about their cats, seems a little 'slow.' We have six other cats, but his behavior is noticeably different. He always pats the surface of the water when he drinks, lags behind the others when called to come eat, etc., and just generally seems a little 'off.' We love him very much, and it's good to know this symptom is not necessarily something dire.

Last edited by Lizawren60; 09-18-2015 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,308 times
My cats pupils were always large. I noticed she was walking into walls and was "feeling" her way down furniture with her paws. I took her to an animal optometrist, she was diagnosed with advanced feline retinal atrophy. She is blind, very rare genetic cause especially in a mixed/ previous stray cat

Old 09-18-2015, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,798 times
Lemonwater84, how old was your cat when this happened? I also have a blind cat - she developed histoplasmosis at about 9 months, and it caused her retinas to detach. However, you'd never know she was blind except when she stumbles over something left out of place on the floor, like a pair of shoes. Cats seem to adjust pretty well to blindness.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,811 times
Default Another case of large pupils

Robin77-Wow! Your black cat above looks exactly like my Jiji. She's black too. She also has oddly dilated eyes and they only go tiny when it is very bright. We found her on the side of the road at 6 weeks almost dead.

She and my two other cats were outside just now and both the others eyes were at half dilated. While Jiji''s pupils were very round. They never go into narrow slits either. When they close in bright light they go more oval and small, rather than a longer slit (snake eye look). Good to know that other cats also have this and don't have eye problems. I have heard and seen pictures of cats who's lenses separated and their eyes got big and opaque and eventually had to be removed surgically. I don't want anything bad to happen to her.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:24 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,260,829 times
I have had several cats with huge, dilated pupils all the time. We call it "Dondi eyes". (Gad, I am dating myself with that one!!!) The cats seem to suffer no visual problems. My vet always said they are healthy. It does make them look very cute.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,741 times
6My kitty, sweet p, has the puss in boots from Shrek big eyes. She's always had them since I adopted her last year when she was 6. Initially we weren't sure she'd come out alive after 5 medical issues all at once. I believe that since I brought sweets back into this world by nursing and loving on her, despite her not knowing how to use a litter box since she was a stray for 5 years prior. I think her large pupils are showing her love for me.
I also call her eyes according to her activity level. Sweets often gets what I call in "play mode". Her eyes are so large. Then she does the sweet p 500, taking laps around through my kitchen and living room. Overall, these large pupils show an amazing him an - feline connection and possibly another souk inhabits her body. I lost my mother six years ago and my cat is 6. If you believe in reincarnation, it's awesome to think a loved one resides in my furry girl!
Jp

Old 02-15-2016, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,619 times
Default My cat

Her eyes have been like this for 16 years also just so big and nothing else and I can never find out what kind of cat she is but you have nothing to worry about
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone else have a cat with constantly HUGE pupils?-1455591357893-1109900031.jpg  

Old 02-16-2016, 01:59 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,694,209 times
Early in mornings my cat likes to sit in the windowsill in the other room. I went to check on her one time and her pupils were gigantic!! (puss 'n' boots gigantic!), it freaked me out a little, but they go back to regular size all the time. and of course are barely there slits in bright light!

Old 05-10-2016, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,491 times
I have a tortoise kitties with large round pupils. She is very small framed and very independent. She's the only cat I've seen with these eyes. I wish I knew if it were a specific breed, guess not.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,473 times
I have a little stray kitty I'm feeding. He has the giant pupils and a large nose. He is also very talkative. He wants to sit next to me all the time but doesn't like to be touched much. He will lick my hand but cries if I pet him.

I'm not sure if he has sensory issues or was horribly abused. But I love the little guy. He is sitting with me purring as I type this.

I want to take him to a vet, but I'm pretty sure he will freak out. Does anyone have any advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats