Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 02:57 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times

Advertisements

Every day when I get home all three of ours are at the door, waiting for me to come in. And every day, as soon as I am done saying hello to them and petting each one, they all run up to the scratching post and start tearing at it like mad. They look back at me as if to say "Hey, look at this !"

I have no idea why they do it, but it is a daily ritual with sometimes two or three on the post at one time. Anyone else have cats that do this ?

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 03:32 PM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
they all run up to the scratching post and start tearing at it like mad. They look back at me as if to say "Hey, look at this !"
My cats -- especially Cookie, the female -- do that when we're all on the way to the food bowls for breakfast (all meals are "breakfast" to them -- it's one of the two English words they respond to, the other being "treat"). They bound down the stairs to the basement and immediately start scratching at the post until I catch up with them.

I keep telling them they don't have to open the can themselves, but they keep sharpening their claws, just in case ...

Old 11-18-2013, 07:05 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,381,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Every day when I get home all three of ours are at the door, waiting for me to come in. And every day, as soon as I am done saying hello to them and petting each one, they all run up to the scratching post and start tearing at it like mad. They look back at me as if to say "Hey, look at this !"

I have no idea why they do it, but it is a daily ritual with sometimes two or three on the post at one time. Anyone else have cats that do this ?

Don
My guess would be they're excited/happy to see you, and attacking the scratch post is a way to show that. Over the years I've noticed that about half the time when my cats use the post, it's when they are excited or wound up in a playful mood. The other half would be right after they wake up from a nap.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:15 PM

369 posts, read 760,521 times
Neptune does that sometimes. I think catdad is right, it's because they're excited to see us.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:57 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Today FedEx delivered a bunch of car parts I ordered on line and it is Christmas day for our cats. They are in and out of the boxes and tearing the bubble wrap apart. The living room looks like a bomb went off, but there sure are some smiling cats in the middle of all of it !

Don

Old 11-19-2013, 03:33 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,109 times
Our cat used to used the dirt box in the middle of the night and then rocket down the hallway and attack her squeaky mouse. She used to love to chase moths and even once, when she was a kitten, got her head stuck in a peanut butter jar trying to get one out. I caught them and put them in there to bring them home). We came home to find her dancing around with it on her head. If I ever got another cat it would be a Russian Blue like her.

Cats 101 - Russian Blue - YouTube

she looked just like the one in the video with the white patch on her neck.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:45 AM

12,326 posts, read 2,972,196 times
"Hey, Dad, look what I can do!" lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats