Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2013, 05:36 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

I never have and when I had houseplants I was always chasing them out of the plants. Tell us about your experience.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 06:32 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I grew rye, wheatgrass, and one other variety of something - barley I think. She chewed on them only a week after they sprouted and killed them all, when I was at work one day.

She'll just have to wait til spring to go outside in the back yard and nosh on my garden again. The Greenery is closed for the season

Old 11-09-2013, 04:45 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,762,421 times
I have grown 2 kinds: wild grass (I harvest the seeds in the autumn and hope for the best) and the seeds you buy from pet stores.

I have some seeds from the autumn but have not tried to germinate them yet. In the interim, I go outside and cut some of the grass leaves. As soon as I walk in the door with a handful of yellow, frozen grass leaves, the Girls cannot wait!

One cat will eat the commercial grass and the wild grass while the other will only eat the wild. Go figure.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I grew rye, wheatgrass, and one other variety of something - barley I think. She chewed on them only a week after they sprouted and killed them all, when I was at work one day.

She'll just have to wait til spring to go outside in the back yard and nosh on my garden again. The Greenery is closed for the season
Please try it again! Just put the grass well out of cat reach when you are not at home.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:57 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,846 times
Yes, of course! If I fail to have them you KNOW I get yelled at, right? Orion, ruler of the Universe insists on many things, live plants among them. Silly human, need you ask?

HRH likes spider plants, no grass please.

I once tried fresh catnip with this crew because other cats that I've had paid no attention to it. Ha-ha! It lasted about two days. They knocked it over and rolled on it, poor plant didn't stand a chance.

They also ate the Asparagus sprengeri although it's supposed to be a gastric irritant none of the kitties had any issues, the plant however didn't fare as well, they killed it <sigh>

Old 11-09-2013, 05:28 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,824 times
Similar story. Tried wheat grass in various locations. Ignored. When it comes to house plants, all ferns, grass-like, and various broad-leaf plants come under attack wherever they are located. Some die. We replace them.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:03 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Please try it again! Just put the grass well out of cat reach when you are not at home.
Why? It's not a necessary nutrient and she doesn't miss it when it's not available. I thought it'd be a fun treat for her - unfortunately it was more fun for her to kill the plants than it was for me to grow them. We have a whole yard of untreated (no pesticides, no fertilizers) grass in the back yard, and my garden (where I sometimes grow catnip). She can enjoy that, in the spring when she and I go out gardening together. We have a fenced-in yard and she doesn't go out there alone.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Why? It's not a necessary nutrient and she doesn't miss it when it's not available. I thought it'd be a fun treat for her - unfortunately it was more fun for her to kill the plants than it was for me to grow them. We have a whole yard of untreated (no pesticides, no fertilizers) grass in the back yard, and my garden (where I sometimes grow catnip). She can enjoy that, in the spring when she and I go out gardening together. We have a fenced-in yard and she doesn't go out there alone.
It helps with removing hairballs from the gastrointestinal tract. Either they poop it out or sometimes it is regurgitated.

In the spring/summer, the first thing my cats want to do is go outside and eat grass. During snow-less months, they eat it everyday and it is part of their normal diet so I do my best to supplement it throughout the year even if it means I have to search for it under the snow. It makes them happy and therefore makes me happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats