Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 08:04 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,432 times

Advertisements

Orion had 3 extractions, two during the summer and one about a month ago. He's been yelling a bit the past few days but that's not unusual for him, and we had our chocolate lab euthanized so I thought he was upset by that. Then last night he came and put his front paws on my chair and meowed at me - just as he did when he had an abscess before. Sure enough when I looked his lip looked a little swollen.

Took him to the vet today and he's got 2 abscesses, at the recent extraction site and the original site. Poor guy got pain meds, antibiotics and a follow up appointment for next week. He's a good patient except for having to take pills, but the vet tech gave me a pill shooter, is that what it's called? It's basically a syringe with a rubber tube at the end that allows loading the pill and shoots it into his throat. It was a failure, I had to force feed him the pill, he got liquid meds without a problem.

After all that the poor guy was afraid I was going to grab him and manhandle him when I went to pet him. Fortunately he's a smart boy and realized I was done for the day and let me salve my conscience. It's turned into a really rough week for my poor guy, first he loses his pal now he's got dental problems and mom is manhandling him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 08:08 PM

306 posts, read 416,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
Orion had 3 extractions, two during the summer and one about a month ago. He's been yelling a bit the past few days but that's not unusual for him, and we had our chocolate lab euthanized so I thought he was upset by that. Then last night he came and put his front paws on my chair and meowed at me - just as he did when he had an abscess before. Sure enough when I looked his lip looked a little swollen.

Took him to the vet today and he's got 2 abscesses, at the recent extraction site and the original site. Poor guy got pain meds, antibiotics and a follow up appointment for next week. He's a good patient except for having to take pills, but the vet tech gave me a pill shooter, is that what it's called? It's basically a syringe with a rubber tube at the end that allows loading the pill and shoots it into his throat. It was a failure, I had to force feed him the pill, he got liquid meds without a problem.

After all that the poor guy was afraid I was going to grab him and manhandle him when I went to pet him. Fortunately he's a smart boy and realized I was done for the day and let me salve my conscience. It's turned into a really rough week for my poor guy, first he loses his pal now he's got dental problems and mom is manhandling him
Sounds like a tough week for you as well. Sorry to hear about your lab and Orion.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:09 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
Oh my, what a week! I'm very sorry about everything.

I've never had any luck with "pill shooters" myself. In fact, I think it makes the job more difficult.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:30 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
What's causing these abscesses? Does the vet know?

Old 11-26-2013, 04:10 PM

No, he doesn't seem to have any idea. I'm at a loss. Anyone here have any experience with abscesses in kitties? Odie is sensitive to topical flea meds, and had fleas recently, I can't imagine a connection. I did use horrible chemicals to rid the apartment of the fleas during the summer but haven't since. I also used Capstar for the fur friends and gave Odie that when he got fleas after his extraction. But again I've no clue if there's a connection. I'm just sad the poor guy is suffering, he is very, very sweet, has never bit or scratched me. He's only scratched once in his life and that was after they drew blood from his jugular which I'm sure hurt =(

Old 11-26-2013, 07:24 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Sorry to hear about your Lab, and Orion too. I know what it's like when bad stuff piles on like that. I don't have much experience with extractions with my cats, so can't offer much help. It does sound like the abscesses/infection are related to the extractions. Maybe not the same with cats, but I've had many, many teeth pulled in my lifetime, and I can tell you that if there is any hint of infection and it's not treated before the extraction you will have problems like these or worse. Most of my extractions involved a round of antibiotics prior to pulling. I'm curious if Orion showed any signs of infection before hand. Also, did your vet have you do anything preventative for Orion after the extractions? Last week my girl Misty had 2 tumors removed from the back of her mouth, and as aftercare I'm putting antiseptic gel in her mouth twice a day to prevent infection until she's healed.
One more thought... My ladycat Gypsy is allergic to fleas. If I mess up and let any get on her (has happened twice in the past few years) she will develop very small sores around her neck, ears, and chin. My vet calls them lesions, and they will even break open and scab over, but mostly just itch her like crazy. Is Orion allergic to fleas by any chance? Don't think that's it, but just curious.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:23 AM

Thanks Catdad. These have been the months of hell here, I should be on the depression board. It's just one of those times in life when everything is just falling apart...

Orion had antibiotics and an NSAID after his last extraction, he's on the same NSAID now as well as a different antibiotic. He doesn't seem to have a problem with fleas but at least one of the cats, who knows which one, had a tape worm from them. I found what looked like sesame seeds on the bedding the other day. I treated them for that but I doubt that was the cause of Orion's problem.

I think he may be a pedigree - what I don't know, Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest? He has a deformity, his back legs do not align properly when he sits they are always on either side of his front paws. I think if he were human he'd walk oddly because his back legs do not align with his front, when he sits they are to either side. I'm sure if he walked upright he'd have a rolling gait like a sailor because his legs are out past his shoulders. I often think that's why he was taken to the shelter, he couldn't be sold. That said, my supposition is that if he is a pedigree he may be less hardy than the other guys. Who knows where he came from? A backyard kitten mill perhaps? Poor guy, he's so sweet and patient.

Here he is tonight:
Click image for larger version

Name:	orion stretched out.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	121558

Old 11-27-2013, 09:05 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
It breaks our hearts when our furkids hurt, doesn't it. Hope all is better soon.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:15 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
What a handsome little man and he has certainly been through it lately (and you have too - right there with him through it all). Reference the underlying causes of the abscesses - I always thought they were caused by infection. In his case maybe there is an underlying infection nobody has detected yet (I'm thinking jawbone as I had that happen with one of my boys Jack, who always seemed to have a pouty mouth and was finally found to have an infection deep in the jawbone that had probably been there for years undetected. It was only discovered by x-ray (digital) and you could see where it had almost totally disintegrated). It's amazing how much pain these little fellas endure before we even realize there's a problem, but he's telling you there's something wrong. With my Jack, he kept needing to have teeth removed and the "pouty" mouth kept returning, his labs looked ok but those x-rays told the story. He ended up with massive doses of antibiotics to kill the infection and lost all of his teeth except for one (they were afraid to pull it because it might break his jaw and it was reasonably healthy) as the jawbone couldn't be "fixed". He recovered nicely, was comfortable, able to eat, and was doing very well until this past late summer when he took a turn and we discovered he had bowel cancer. We let him go over the bridge in September of this year. I'm glad you're aware your guy is still having a problem and he is going back in, and I'll be anxious to know how he is and what is causing his problem. The pill popper with the rubber on it is way better than the old ones from years ago, but I still find just using my fingers or even those Greenies pill pockets are the easiest way to get pills down our kids when we need to. Just keep him comfortable and you two catch up on some much needed snuggling over this long holiday weekend coming up!!! Sending healing thoughts to you both...and a big hug too!!!

Old 11-27-2013, 10:30 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Is your patient doing better today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats