Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:51 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,008,324 times

Advertisements

I am a cat lover, but because my late husband couldn't abide animals in the house, I haven't had a cat for many years. Now I'm making plans to adopt a cat in a few months after I've returned from some out-of-town trips. I have a bunch of questions that I'd appreciate your answers to.

Just FYI I'm a 66-year old retired woman who lives alone in a medium-size one-story house, no basement. The perfect cat for me would be a friendly girl or boy who likes to be petted and talked to. I plan to find my cat at the local Humane Society or one of the rescue groups.

1. Should I adopt a kitten, or an adult cat?

2. Is it better to adopt two cats at a time, so they'll have company? I'm home most of the time -- no job to go to, just babysit the grandkids a couple of days a week.

3. What supplies should I have on hand before I bring the cat(s) home? I know the rule about having one litter box per cat plus one extra. Is one type of litter better than another?

4. What potentially dangerous things should I remove from my house before adopting a cat? I know about "baby-proofing" my house, what do I need to do to "cat-proof"?

5. Approximately how much would you estimate I should budget for cat-related expenses (food, litter, vet bills, whatever) for a month?

6. What websites can you recommend that I read about living with a cat (I would never use the phrase "owning a cat" LOL), besides the posts on City-Data?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 10:26 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,562,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I am a cat lover, but because my late husband couldn't abide animals in the house, I haven't had a cat for many years. Now I'm making plans to adopt a cat in a few months after I've returned from some out-of-town trips. I have a bunch of questions that I'd appreciate your answers to.

Just FYI I'm a 66-year old retired woman who lives alone in a medium-size one-story house, no basement. The perfect cat for me would be a friendly girl or boy who likes to be petted and talked to. I plan to find my cat at the local Humane Society or one of the rescue groups.

2. Is it better to adopt two cats at a time, so they'll have company? I'm home most of the time -- no job to go to, just babysit the grandkids a couple of days a week.

3. What supplies should I have on hand before I bring the cat(s) home? I know the rule about having one litter box per cat plus one extra. Is one type of litter better than another?

4. What potentially dangerous things should I remove from my house before adopting a cat? I know about "baby-proofing" my house, what do I need to do to "cat-proof"?

5. Approximately how much would you estimate I should budget for cat-related expenses (food, litter, vet bills, whatever) for a month?

6. What websites can you recommend that I read about living with a cat (I would never use the phrase "owning a cat" LOL), besides the posts on City-Data?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide!

You are a very kind lady, let 's see if these replies help you make your decision.

1. I would adopt the least adoptable "looking" kitty or two even. Which usually are older black kitties. They are the most likely to be put down because of the "black cat" Halloween prejudices.
Most all shelters and Humane Society shelters etc. keep them as long as possible, and some no kill shelters do put cats down if they really are full and need the room, or shuffle them off to another shelter. In the spring there is always a big increase in kittens, and many of those get put down as well rather than grow old in a shelter.

2. As for kitty litter, I've had kitties all my life and always used the general types of litter that track and are dusty. Then my neighbor a few years ago told me about this brand: "The Best Cat Litter In The World"... and it is excellent. It's expensive but lasts much longer than the others. I buy the largest bag at PetSmart and it's $18.00 if you decide to try it. No dust, a slightly clean scent, not overpowering, and healthy for the kitty when they lick their paws.

3. Just keep an eye on the kitty if you have plants around, some will try to nip at the leaves, or if they are confused, they might try to use a big floor pot full of dirt. Mine never have, don't know why; but try to make sure you don't adopt a cat that used to be feral (grew up in the wild); they can be difficult to re-home.

4. I shudder when I think of people declawing cats. Please don't declaw; and 90% of the vets these days won't do it. Example: look at your fingers, and consider removing your nails and then amputating your finger up to the first knuckle. That is how declawing is done. I've never declawed any kitten, but I've only had 3 in my lifetime; each had a lifetime of least 18 years old; one had cancer and was on chemotherapy even. Luckily a vet was our next door neighbor and he took care of her and gave her another two years, and she got on very well until the end. My Ragdoll kitty now has been with me for 15 years, and she looks like she's only 3 or 4. I keep 'em healthy, one vet visit a year for a wellness checkup, more if she's needing it.

5. Expenses per month? well that will vary with how much you plan to spend on food. I very often pay about $1.15 for the small 3 oz. cans of higher quality food. (Not Fancy Feast etc.) Usually Nutro Maxi Cat, Innova, or the like. And Iams dry food. Hint: Iams dry food does not contain dyes, and will not stain your carpet if kitty upchucks a hairball. Easy to clean up. Long hair cats are more susceptible to hairballs from grooming.

And, please, whatever you decide please make sure you get a house cat; never let it out and it will never know the difference. Cats who are allowed outside get diseases, bring in their "catch" because they are natural hunters; and along with that bring in insects, fleas, etc. and have a lifespan of maybe 5 years before meeting their doom. House cats live a normal lifepan, and are most always clean and healthy.

Thank you for considering adopting a kitty who needs a loving home, they truly are God's little innocents.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:02 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,393,344 times
I agree with the suggestion to consider adopting an older, less adoptable cat (or two). Here's something to think about that has become an issue for me. I am the same age as you, and I am concerned that some of my cats might out live me. I know that if something happened to me, they could be re-homed (and maybe adapt & be ok), but would they be re-homed(?) In my case, there are no family members that would, or could, take them. So in all probability they would be at the mercy of some shelter/rescue, and that concerns me greatly. I live in a small town and those resources are limited, so their future would be in question if I weren't here. I truly hope you have many long years ahead of you, but at our age... you never know. So adopting an older cat might take that concern out of the equation for you.
You're doing a good thing adopting from a shelter or rescue, and I'm sure whatever kitty chooses you will have a wonderful life with you. The fact that you came here and asked these questions says a lot.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:09 AM

5,854 posts, read 5,292,153 times
I like the idea of adopting 2 cats. There are some kitties at shelters who are attached to each other and they try to adopt them together. However, there are some kitties who prefer to be "only cats." Also, as others have said, older black cats always need homes.

Cat

Old 04-28-2014, 11:30 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,271,349 times
Congratulations on wanting to add to your household!

Quote:
Kittens require patience and lots of attention. If you're up for it, they can be an awful lot of fun. You could compromise and find a cat that's 9 months to 2 years old - still kittenish, but not wild and crazy like kittens can be sometimes.

Let the cat adopt you. Sounds backwards, but it can be so satisfying. Sit on the floor and wait to see who comes to you, who interacts with you the way you want to interact with a cat, etc.

I don't know how old your grandchildren are, but they are another consideration. You'll want the cat(s) you adopt to be compatible with kids; the shelter staff can help you with that.

Quote:
Of course, the shelters love it if you adopt siblings or a bonded pair. I have a pair of siblings, and I love the interaction between them - both good and bad, since they are siblings, after all. They play together, then they fight, then they snuggle - lather, rinse, repeat! So much fun to play with them together, and to watch them play with each other.

But it depends on you - Do you want two cats? Can you afford the extra food, vet care and supplies? Oh, yes, and the extra vacuuming? LOL

Quote:
If you adopt a kitten, avoid clumping litter until the cat is 5 or 6 months old. Some kittens might eat the litter.

I use Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat in the blue bag - it's about $15-$18 for a 40-pound bag. Very little odor, very little dust, nice hard clumps. Fill the box it to at least three inches in depth - I took a Sharpie and measured three inches from the bottom; it helps when I go to refill the box.

As for basic supplies, you'll need bowls for food and water, litter boxes, maybe a nice soft cat bed and/or a few blankets the cat can call his/her own, and toys. Get a big litter box - nothing like having to clean up the mess when someone's rear end dangles over the edge of the box!

Toys don't have to be pricey - the lid from a milk jug or a plastic wine cork can provide hours of entertainment. Interactive toys like a laser pointer, a mouse on a wire, or a long snake on a stick give you play time with your cat. Avoid strings, yarn and ribbons unless you've got a tight hold on the other end - some cats will eat them.

Make sure to invest a scratching post or two, or a scratch pad to encourage the cat to groom its claws in acceptable places (vs. scratching on your couch or carpet). They don't have to be expensive - the scratch mats are about $12, and the cardboard scratchers are inexpensive.

Cats need places to escape and/or hide. Mine like to be under things, so I took some old blankets and placed them under a sofa, another under a table, etc. Their litter boxes are under the laundry table. Some like to escape to high-up places, which is where cat trees come in handy - although I had a friend who set up an oasis for one of her cats on top of the fridge.

Quote:
Move any house plants out of reach; some are harmful to cats. Any valuable breakables, too, until the cat learns your house and you learn the cat's habits. If you have blinds, cut the cords short. If your cat likes windowsills, raise the blinds a little to allow access, otherwise you may wind up with ruined blinds.

Quote:
5. Approximately how much would you estimate I should budget for cat-related expenses (food, litter, vet bills, whatever) for a month
That depends on the food you choose for your cat - at first, feed the cat whatever the shelter is feeding, and gradually change to whatever food you and the cat mutually agree upon. An annual vet checkup costs me about $250 for both cats. I spend probably $25 a month on litter, and another $40 on food, both wet and dry, for two cats. That doesn't include your initial costs for litter boxes, etc.

Quote:
About.com has basic info on cat care.

Good luck to you and whoever follows you home!

Old 04-28-2014, 11:36 AM

4,676 posts, read 10,002,003 times
I would go with older kitties. Note, the plural.

Sometimes shelters have a bonded pair they want to adopt out together. Adoption fees are also less.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:46 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,393,344 times
Another thing comes to mind. As previously said, please don't even consider de-clawing your cat. It's mutilation of the animal to protect furniture, and has long term consequences for the life of the cat. So assuming you don't do that, you will need at least one scratching post. Your cat can be trained to use one and avoid clawing the furniture (I'm no expert on that, but others here can give better advice). Just be sure to get a tall scratch post... the taller the better, and one that doesn't tip over easily.
Also, most cats are 'tree dwellers', and like high up spaces, so you might want to consider getting a cat tree/condo that most pet stores carry. They can be pricey, but well worth it.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:19 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,932,945 times
I applaud you for asking these questions ahead of time!

1 and 2. I'd consider a bonded adult pair. Two cats are twice as fun and they will already be spayed/neutered and past the naughty kitten stage. And often, two adults are much harder to place.

3. You'll want at least two litter boxes, a nice water dish and food bowls, and a few scratching posts. I prefer unscented scoop able litter (the brand I like is Premium Choice). As for scratching posts, many cats love those cardboard scratchers. There's a great post called the Ultimate Scratching Post that is super sturdy (check Amazon for cheaper prices).

4. Cat proofing is similar to baby proofing. Make sure they can't get into chemicals/cleaners/etc. If you have houseplants, google to see if any are poisonous to cats (NO lilies, they are deadly). If you plan to open your windows, make sure the screens are secure.

5. Prices vary from region to region. I spend about $100 a month on food and litter for three cats (I feed raw and canned food.) I also have a pet savings account for vet bills--I have money put in from each paycheck. Plan on at least one wellness exam each year, which may include blood work. If you live in an area where parasites are a problem, factor in monthly treatment for that.

6. Check out Jackson Galaxy's website (of My Cat From Hell fame): Jackson Galaxy
I also like Little Big Cat: Little Big Cat | Mind-Body Consulting for Cats and the book Your Cat (Your Cat: Simple New Secrets to a Longer, Stronger Life: Elizabeth M. Hodgkins: 9780312358020: Amazon.com: Books) There is a great article about feline nutrition here: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

I hope this isn't too long. . . :-) Please let us know what happens!

Old 04-28-2014, 12:24 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,008,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I agree with the suggestion to consider adopting an older, less adoptable cat (or two). Here's something to think about that has become an issue for me. I am the same age as you, and I am concerned that some of my cats might out live me. I know that if something happened to me, they could be re-homed (and maybe adapt & be ok), but would they be re-homed(?) In my case, there are no family members that would, or could, take them. So in all probability they would be at the mercy of some shelter/rescue, and that concerns me greatly. I live in a small town and those resources are limited, so their future would be in question if I weren't here. I truly hope you have many long years ahead of you, but at our age... you never know. So adopting an older cat might take that concern out of the equation for you.
You're doing a good thing adopting from a shelter or rescue, and I'm sure whatever kitty chooses you will have a wonderful life with you. The fact that you came here and asked these questions says a lot.
Yikes, Catdad -- bringing me face to face with my own mortality! But you raise a very good point that I hadn't thought of.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:47 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,620,189 times
Also read a bit about breeds. Of course, there are many "mixed" breeds at shelters, but it's good to keep in mind that Bengals can be a real handful for new owners and that Siamese can be wonderful or mentally disturbed. Sometimes there is a very good reason they are being re-homed.

I generally recommend cats that are one year or older to new owners. If you can afford a bonded pair, great!

Kittens are wonderful but they do require a lot of work and I'm at the point now that I won't adopt them, unless I know all about the parents and how mom ate during her pregnancy. With a cat that's a year or older, you already know their personality plus most genetic diseases will have made an appearance by then.

Rescues try! But they miss things (or just don't know!) so read, read, read! If you have a chance to visit some cat shows, do, just so you get a feel for purebreds. That will also help you know a little better what to expect with mixes.

Take lots of time and pay attention to how the kitties respond to you and other humans. If you have a friend who has years of experience with cats, take him/her along when you get the candidates narrowed down. Yes, you'll get your heart stolen quickly (most cats are cute!) but you want to make sure that the cat(s) are right for you and your household.

After you have more experience, you'll be in a better position to evaluate whether a "shy" cat will be okay for you. For example, my rescue was considered "shy" but she wasn't. She was being fostered with dogs, and she hates dogs. In my dogless household, she's bold as brass!

Good luck and have fun! You'll meet lots of cool kitties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats