Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:07 AM

320 posts, read 1,069,801 times

Advertisements

Hi, has anyone out there had bad experiences after their cat was given the Convenia antibiotic shot?

I've seen some other posts on the web from people who have had their pets experience very zombie-like behavior and no appetite, and I am seeing the same thing. It is freaking me out! However, none of them ever go back and say if or when their baby has gotten better.

So, if convenia stays in the system for 14 days, will I have my normal kitten-ish behavior back then?

One thing is for sure....I will NEVER allow this shot again for any of my children! I'll take giving those nasty pink drops any day over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 06:00 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,664 times
I have no experience with it but wanted to say I hope your baby gets better soon and gets over these side effect fast.

I just had one with a abcess and had to give her liquid antibotics for a week or more. She did NOT like me shoveing it down her twice a day but I really think she understood that it was to help her. Her abscess was close to her private parts and I was told not to let it scab over. Ha! She wouldn't let me near "there" with a wash rag but would stand and let me put neospoin and vaseline on it.. I found with the vaseline, she would lick that off, therefore doing my work for me by keeping it from scabbing over. It is just a memory now and she has healed up great..

Old 07-15-2010, 08:28 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,087 times
How is your cat feeling today? One of mine had the shot last summer and reacted the same way. He did come around after about 2 days. I know it's scary when that happens!

Old 07-15-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
How is your cat feeling today? One of mine had the shot last summer and reacted the same way. He did come around after about 2 days. I know it's scary when that happens!
It's been two days now, and she is starting to do a few more of her normal routine things (where she lays and where she goes) but she's still pretty much a zombie. I got her to eat some treats but no regular food. She's avoiding the water so I gave her a dropper full.....so pottying has been ok.

It is slight, but there is improvement...so I am not quite as worried now. It's just too much in their system at one time, I think. I definitely can't recommend that anyone else choose this, no matter how convenient it sounds at the time, or how much your vet says they have had no problems.

Thank you both for the good thoughts!!!

Old 07-16-2010, 11:35 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,150 times
Although it's not a normal use for Convenia, I have a cat with a chronic sinus condition that gets a shot about every eights weeks.

It prevents the infection from going into her lungs and causing pneumonia.

I used to give her Cepha Drops for fourteen days when she had an outbreak, but it was really stressful for her as she is an ex-feral and she hates being restrained and medicated.

Now, with the shot, she doesn't even notice it and it works as good as the liquid.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:16 AM

Wow Freddy, I guess that just shows how different the reactions can be. I'm glad your little girl found a way to be healthy!

Lulu ate on her own day 3 and today (day 5) she actually showed a moment of playfulness with her brother and sister and chased them....which I am very happy about but they certainly are not! ;-)

Old 12-17-2012, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 6,383 times
Default How is Lulu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloaf View Post
Wow Freddy, I guess that just shows how different the reactions can be. I'm glad your little girl found a way to be healthy!

Lulu ate on her own day 3 and today (day 5) she actually showed a moment of playfulness with her brother and sister and chased them....which I am very happy about but they certainly are not! ;-)
Did she ever fully recover My Kitty Lexi had the shot going on 3 weeks ago and last wed she started acting like a zombie bud goes back and forth with here energy and being skittish! I hope she can fully recover! what happened with Lulu? is she normal again?

Old 12-17-2012, 09:08 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,849,692 times
Robin had gotten the convenia injection several times. She gets UTI but gets violently ill from oral antibiotics. Projectile vomiting ill.

So far I've never noticed any ill effects, and my vet (who I trust) hasn't had any of her patients report side effects. I hope any kitty who has experienced side effects feels better quick, and please keep us updated...I do think vets are being quick to offer this shot considering how new it is

Old 12-18-2012, 12:40 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,284,294 times
Dr. Pierson is a resource this board respects and uses for information about feeding our cats.

Convenia: Worth the Risk? by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: Long-acting antibiotic for cats that can have serious side effects

Old 12-18-2012, 12:54 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,849,692 times
It reminds me of the fluoroquinolones class of antibiotics. They aren't meant to be used as a first line antibiotic because of the possible serious side effects, which includes tendon rupture. These risks are increased in the elderly- yet when my mother gets bladder infections (she has a dropped bladder, making her very prone to them), it's always the first thing the doctor wants to prescribe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats