Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,411 times

Advertisements

Please help if you can!
my cat is 13 years old and has been an inside cat his whole life. He is declawed so I worry since he has been sneaking out as often as he can recently. He started by sneaking to the neighbors gated yard when I let the dog out. He would cry to come back after a couple of hours or so. time spent increased to overnight or a half day but never till a week ago longer than a half day or so. It's been a couple of weeks now and he only comes home every other day at first but now it's up to a few days I feel. He will cry but as soon as I come to him he runs away. I have been keeping an eye out and know he's staying near. Tonight I put out his bed to have his scent out. I really hope he's ok and want him to come back. Any help or suggestions are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 09:34 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,605,780 times
I'll bet someone is feeding him.

You might try baiting one of those humane live traps with expensive kitty salmon or something else you know he loves. Once you catch him, take better care not to let him out.

I've also seen cats with paper collars: DO NOT FEED. I would suggest keeping him in, though. There are many things that can happen to a cat and a declawed cat has even less chance.

In the meantime, go door-to-door some evening about 5:30 - 6:00 with his photo and chat with people in the area. I'll bet you'll find him a few doors down, living with a bunch of cats.

Do keep us updated.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:21 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,922,669 times
Just tossing this idea out--a friend of mine told me once that, just before one of her cats got very ill, she wanted to go outside badly. (She was previously indoor only.)

If he hasn't had a vet check in a while, it might be worth having him looked at.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:48 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,366,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Just tossing this idea out--a friend of mine told me once that, just before one of her cats got very ill, she wanted to go outside badly. (She was previously indoor only.)

If he hasn't had a vet check in a while, it might be worth having him looked at.
That was my thought too. Is something going on medically or in his environment that makes him want to leave the house (?), when it wasn't really an issue before. I suppose his wanting to go out could be age related, but from what OP describes he acts like he wants to come home but is reluctant to do so. I definitely think vet visit would be advisable.
Hope you can get him home OP, and keep him safe.
Good luck.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:21 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,567,253 times
What has changed in the household?

Old 05-27-2015, 08:05 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,639 times
All valid ideas.

I am going thru this right now but in my case it is a neighbor feeding him. Probably some real expensive stuff.

A visit to the vet can't hurt.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:16 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebad21 View Post
Please help if you can!
my cat is 13 years old and has been an inside cat his whole life. He is declawed so I worry since he has been sneaking out as often as he can recently. He started by sneaking to the neighbors gated yard when I let the dog out. He would cry to come back after a couple of hours or so. time spent increased to overnight or a half day but never till a week ago longer than a half day or so. It's been a couple of weeks now and he only comes home every other day at first but now it's up to a few days I feel. He will cry but as soon as I come to him he runs away. I have been keeping an eye out and know he's staying near. Tonight I put out his bed to have his scent out. I really hope he's ok and want him to come back. Any help or suggestions are appreciated!
I had a cat just show up the other day and of course he let me know that he wanted to live with me. I let him stay the night and the next day I had him scanned to see if he was micro-chipped. He was...so I contacted the owner and came to find that they lived a few houses over from mine. When they came to get him I could tell he did not want to leave my house. It was a young professional couple with a very young baby that showed up to get him.

I know for sure that when a cat is not happy at home it will wonder off looking for a better home. I feel bad that I had him scanned. I have not seen him since...

Maybe there is too much noise or other animals or kids or something that is making your cat not want to come home very often. If a cat is happy he will come home every night.

Some cats are very sensitive about their surroundings and if they are not happy they will seek out a more suitable place to live. I hope you can figure out what is making him not want to come home.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:12 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,988,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebad21 View Post
Please help if you can!
my cat is 13 years old and has been an inside cat his whole life. He is declawed so I worry since he has been sneaking out as often as he can recently. He started by sneaking to the neighbors gated yard when I let the dog out......
Huh? he "sneaks" out? How can he sneak out with you right there? Put him in the bathroom or have someone hold him when you let the dog in and out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats