Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it mean to tease your cat with a laser pointer?
Yes, it's wrong and mean. 1 4.35%
No, it's perfectly fine and all in good fun. 22 95.65%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 10:31 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101
My cats love it. I am careful to not shine it in their eyes.
Yes please make sure ya dont!!

Its fun to watch kitty chase it round!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 11:50 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
You could probably say that any interactive cat toy is actually teasing to a degree. Teasing is how you lure your cat into the physical activity of playing, and I wouldn't call it cruel. The really cruel thing would be to not ever play with your cat at all.
The red dot has never been a popular with my girls. Two of them ignore it completely, and the other 2 only chase it for a few minutes before wandering off to find something better to do. They all seem to play more (and longer) with things they can actually get their paws on.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:05 PM

42 posts, read 46,195 times
My cat became tired of it too but I put it up for awhile and when I brought it back out a month or two later it was like it was brand new! Works for kids and toys, too!
Attached Thumbnails
Is it mean to tease your cat with a laser pointer?-image.jpg  

Old 06-13-2015, 12:35 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
The really cruel thing would be to not ever play with your cat at all.
+2

Old 06-13-2015, 01:08 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
Our cats love to play laser lights - but DO NOT shine the light directly into their eyes. I especially like to get them all excited on catnip - THEN bring on the laser lights and let them try to catch it. It's all in good fun - nobody gets hurt - and they seem to enjoy it. Even the little "fat kids" get up and run after it. How can that be bad for them?

Old 06-13-2015, 01:22 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
My cats grew tired of the laser toy. They realize there is really nothing there and so gave up.
Cats are just too smart nowadays!

Old 06-13-2015, 01:25 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Our cats love to play laser lights - but DO NOT shine the light directly into their eyes. I especially like to get them all excited on catnip - THEN bring on the laser lights and let them try to catch it. It's all in good fun - nobody gets hurt - and they seem to enjoy it. Even the little "fat kids" get up and run after it. How can that be bad for them?

Just gage it by the cat's reaction. You can tell if they seem happy or annoyed.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:29 PM

786 posts, read 1,593,699 times
My one cat went nuts with a laser pointer, she became so addicted she wouldn't sleep or eat, and would sit by the computer desk when we put it away, even when we started keeping it other places, she would sit at the desk and meow. Our other cat was completely disinterested. I guess it depends on the feline, it took several weeks for her to forget about it, everytime we sat at the desk or opened a drawer, she would freak out assuming the red light was coming out, it didn't seem as much fun as it did an obsession with her. I don't think any form of play with your kids is teasing or mean, the exceptions are obvious. I had a friend who teased her cat with food, pretending to give, then take away, making her cat run all over the place, that's mean and we're no longer friends, I was sickened by the sadistic pleasure she got from doing that. My girls wait impatiently every morning for their wet food, I can't imagine teasing them with preparing it and then walking around with it instead of feeding them! They are both chow hounds, no finicky kitties here.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:40 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII
Just gage it by the cat's reaction. You can tell if they seem happy or annoyed.
Hehe yes.... If thier tails wag,they may be mad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats