Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 10:03 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times

Advertisements

So, this tuxedo cat has been coming around for months now and was very thin. I did see him(her) climb a tree trying to capture something to eat, so I started feeding him and now he hangs around the house all the time. He is still very afraid and especially because my two dogs bark at him when he comes in the yard.

I may be moving out of this house and would hate to leave him with no food. I think he could be a great pet for someone if I could catch him. Any ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 10:08 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Thank you for helping this kitty.

I'd contact a cat rescue group in your area. They should be able to give you good ideas on how to catch him and maybe even loan you a trap. I think the only way to catch him would be to trap him. Are you planning to keep him once you catch him? If not, I'd be sure and have a place for him to go before you trap him.

Good luck.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:21 AM

579 posts, read 522,399 times
A good big cat carrier with some weight to it. Start feeding the cat in the box without approaching the box for a few days. Then don't feed kitty for a day or even two. On the trapping day, put food in the box way in the back, (food the cat can't carry away, something mushy) and when he's comfortable in the box eating quickly shut the box and turn it up right, thus disorienting him and keep your hand firmly on the box door. Then get that box indoors. And keep those dogs in the house during the set up.

Helps if you have a smart helper handy, one who won't scare the cat or do something stupid.

Or call the local cat do-gooder independent rescue group and have them do it. They will probably use a trap.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:27 AM

60 posts, read 60,081 times
I'm on my way out the door, but was in the PRECISE place you were about 3months ago.
A drop trap is an AMAZING tool in this, and I borrowed it from the local cat rescue. It's a LOT time consuming. Use fish! Mackerel, Salmon, or the likes. It's a really good thing. He's now living with us, and believe it or not? Happy being an inside, well fed, flea free, SAFE kitty. Thanks for taking the time to care.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
TyBruce: How was the goings on in the beginning? Did he tear through the house and wreck every thing in place or was he too afraid and under the bed? This little guy is really fast and can jump the walls outside in a single bound sorta like Superman. I wonder how I would "tame" him and get him some manners to be able to have him in the house. Any tips you have are welcome.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:59 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBruce View Post
I'm on my way out the door, but was in the PRECISE place you were about 3months ago.
A drop trap is an AMAZING tool in this, and I borrowed it from the local cat rescue. It's a LOT time consuming. Use fish! Mackerel, Salmon, or the likes. It's a really good thing. He's now living with us, and believe it or not? Happy being an inside, well fed, flea free, SAFE kitty. Thanks for taking the time to care.
Yep! Humane traps for cats do quite well. The thing that cats are afraid of is change, but once the change happens most of them adjust quite well. We now have 3 saves in the house, two of which had to be lured for months until they became trustful enough for me to grab and take into the house. Now they have completely reversed from being semi-feral and starving to perfectly plump house cats.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:04 PM

60 posts, read 60,081 times
Ok, sorry it took me so long to get back.
So let me tell you about this particular cat. His name is Midnight, and we'd been feeding, taking care of him (we'd also built him a large shelter with a cat heating pad and blankets) for about 6months. My daughter and I got to pet him, love him, and even pick him up on our laps for a little bit fore he'd jump back down. I was able to get him (not so easily) into a small car carrier, and took him to my vet about 1 1/2 month fore I left. The reason, was he needed to be fixed. I knew he was still semi-feral, but I couldn't bare the thought of spreading the love, and help producing more kittens in the neighborhood.
So, while I warned the vet he was semi-feral, she still let him out of the carrier to do a check up/blood work. Said she was 'impressed'. Never saw a rodeo cat before. That he'd run them all in circles (I did warn her), and then even ran straight up the wall a good 6', before coming back down. They finally sedated him, then did the bloodwork, tests, and neutered (or spayed. I always get them confused). Anyhow, after a week of being in an extra large dog kennel for a week inside, I released him back out again. I should have kept him. It took me 3 days of trying to get him, and using the drop trap. I sat for about four hours waiting. Think, Wylie Coyote and Road Runner, with those stupid traps ACME traps where he pulls the stick, and the box falls on him. Same idea. He was scared stiff! Freaked out, but we managed to get him then into that big dog kennel. There was no time for him in that old house, as we literally moved out in about 7-8hrs later. He was then loaded into my Armada in the back, and how he spent almost the whole trip. It took us over a week to travel (1 moving truck pulling my son's truck), me driving another car, and my son driving my Armada. Why it took so long. Huge caravan, and moving truck was SLOW! Some nights we would bring him into the hotel in the kennel. We'd put it in the bathroom, so he'd have his peace from the others, and quiet time. Others, when it was cool outside, we'd leave the windows open enough. Else, the whole trip he was in a darkly tinted truck with AC. He was pretty quiet. Only talking occasionally.
We spent 3 weeks in a motel when after traveling just over 3,000miles, where we had 3 rooms (lots of cats:/) and left his kennel open in one of the bathrooms. Had food and water and a fan with a light on all the time. He was scared at a first, but after a while remained outside of the kennel and would let us love him more and more. My daughter and I that is. Now? We've been in an apartment that's quiet large. He remains in my bedroom now. At first, I left the kennel in the large walk-in closet, and kept the doors to it open. More and more, he'd come out. Then at one point he started to remain out of it permanently, and would hide/sleep under all my dresses. I have long, ankle dresses and skirts, so he'd hide between them and apparently felt safe like that. After maybe 2 weeks of life in closet, he'd start coming out just a little after everyone was in bed and lights off. I'd hear him meowing in his little voice. Then more and more, he'd come out. By the fourth or fifth week, after a lot of work on my husband and son's behalf, he let them pet him finally and wouldn't run from them. They had to go in a few times a day to just sit with him gently and pet him once or twice on the head. Now everyone in the family can pet him easily.
Since, we've brought out this giant 7' cat tree into our room my husband made back East. Now, he loves sleeping in that! There are 6 levels to it, and little side things to it. He just loves it! Every night he comes alive. Of course, where we're trying to sleep. He'll jump down once my kids are done coming through, and husband's asleep. I'll be sitting up reading in bed with a small light, and he runs all over the place. Then prowls around talking. His favorite toy? Any string, but mostly feathers. I love collecting bird feathers, which has turned out to be a great habit for him. I wash them first, and keep them bagged for a few days to make sure no bugs. Then he gets them.
And just this week? He's started getting 'physical' with us. When he's sick of us petting him? He'll wrap both of his front paws around your arm, and start play biting at your hand/fingers. Then with his back paws, he starts kicking at your arm. The back claws aren't painful. I sit there and laugh! But his front, hanging onto you, can hurt. But I've warned everyone to SUCK IT UP! To yell at him, he'd freak, and I don't want to take a step back with him.
He's doing so good though! He's such a wonderful cat! We always knew that. But it's great to see him have come out and see him doing so well now. We've been here in the apartment for about 2 months now. So it wasn't an overnight thing. Just remember to be super patient. My little man? He'd been through a LOT.
The vet told me so when I picked him up. Said his body was covered in scars/battle wounds. That he was about 7yrs old, and had no fang teeth. She asked if I knew. I was like...No. Not like he smiles for me. I had no clue!
So, in learning that, I knew I'd never leave him behind. He'd had such a hard life. And I've committed myself to making the rest of his a good one. I think I'm performing that now for him. He's a great cat, and we all love him so truly. It was so worth everything.
I have to say, depending on yours disposition? Be CAREFUL when feeding, watering, and changing the cat litter during your move. If you're doing a quick move; unlike ours? Then this will be so much easier. Ours was really long lasting. And whenever we had to take care of him, I would get in the truck, close it up entirely behind me. Then I'd open one of the kennel doors just enough to get in there, and do what's needed, close the doors again, and be done with that for the next many hours. I feed twice a day, so that was about it. I also took 2 others (one just a scaredy-cat,the other an outside, but friendly cat) that I had to do pretty much the same thing with in kennels. I learned to make a cup water filler. So every time they needed more water (I didn't fill full, because of all the bumping around), I didn't have to open the cage. Just fit it between the kennel bars. It wasn't the easiest. But he really was pretty good during the whole trip. We're going to be moving yet again within a few months. I'm hoping with putting him in my room once again, that he will be ok. It'll be a slight step back I'm sure. But it should be ok. If he ever wants to be out with the rest of my cats, he'll be more than welcome. Currently, he's only exposed to two others. One gets locked up at night, the other was the other outside cat and doesn't bother him.
I was actually crying the night before. Thinking he was going to have to be left behind. My husband found me crying in the bathroom, and I said "We're starting over out West, but are family won't be complete without him.
It was a great thing. If you can find the drop trap (the rescue provided this for me) and catch your sweetie? You won't regret it. And after it's all over? Neither will your cat. Midnight's a very happy, sweet love. And he adores his lovin'.
Please keep me updated on how it all goes!

Old 09-18-2015, 10:56 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
Oh, TyBruce, you are FABULOUS!

OP, I want to recommend a booklet I got for free at the local humane society: "How to Help Feral Cats" published by Alley Cat Allies. It gives a really useful step by step guide to catching ferals for neuter/shots/release. The information is also available on their website: www.alleycat.org, and there are some videos which really show you what to do.

Best wishes, and let us know what happens!

Old 09-19-2015, 11:24 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times

Adorable fluff monster you have Get this one used to a brush quick!

Old 09-19-2015, 10:21 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
Excellent story and great compassion TYBruce. Is hubby going to let you keep the kitty? I'm thinking yes, but you weren't clear.
I sure hope so, you've done a spectacular job of rescuing him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats