Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 03:25 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,267 times

Advertisements

Cats are prolific breeders. Either they do any damage to the ecosystem or not, killing 2 million by 2020 would probably make a small dent, if at all, to the number of cats reproduced by then. Seems like a lot of wasted time and money.

I love cats. Domesticated, non-feral cats. I have respect for feral cats but I see them as wild as a raccoon, unless you catch them very young and tame them. I have fed them before, it is fun, sure, but we go on our separate ways. Should killing feral cats take as much attention as crisis regarding human life? Nope, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 05:24 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
Should killing feral cats take as much attention as crisis regarding human life? Nope, sorry.
I didn't see anyone say that. And it doesn't mean that money and attention shouldn't intelligently be allocated addressing the long term concerns associated with feral breeding populations. Just throwing up your hands and saying "well there's too many ferals anyway so why bother" is not acceptable either. The problem could get worse or it could get better.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:55 PM

352 posts, read 285,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I didn't see anyone say that. And it doesn't mean that money and attention shouldn't intelligently be allocated addressing the long term concerns associated with feral breeding populations. Just throwing up your hands and saying "well there's too many ferals anyway so why bother" is not acceptable either. The problem could get worse or it could get better.
Yes, I would hope that a safe and humane solution would be used to control the ferals in Australia instead of this cruel and backward method. I feel so bad for these animals and they deserve a chance at some comfort and love. I have taken in a few of them and after working with them they turned out to be awesome pets. At first they were very wild and it took considerable time and effort, but was well worth it.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:27 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecat View Post
...Australian Minister for the Environment Greg Hunt announced a plan supporting the shooting, poisoning, and lethal trapping of outdoor cats...
Australia has tried that before, first on Aborigines, and then on Rabbits, then on Kangaroos.

None of those programs worked.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:49 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
My comment was in response to the culling. I believed spending any amount of $ on going on feral cat killing spree is a complete waste of time. I didn't want to mention the obvious about the TNR, but here it is: Yes, money should be invested in TRN. At the same time, I personally believe educating and giving owners the incentives to neuter their cats plays a significant role in reducing not just the feral but overall cat population. As long as people keep dumping their unneutered cats, they will breed, their babies or themselves grew feral, and the cycle continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats