Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 08:29 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Males. We had a black and white, an orange and white and a visiting Maine Coon when we lived in our last location. All 3 males. Our females all have been less affectionate.

I second that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 12:57 PM

239 posts, read 699,211 times
I agree, every orange tabby I've had (and my parents) has been a big "baby." One was female and five were male. They all liked to sleep on our laps, pet their bellies and let us carry them around "like a baby." The other colors we've had have been hit or miss on their loving attitudes.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:11 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
My Maine Coon boy was a love bug! Always, always wanted to be held and loved to love on you. He was actually more like a dog. Very gentle and sweet. And he gave the most precious head butts.

My little black and white girl was so very sweet, but she didn't like being held. However, she adored being petted and loved on, and would sit next to me and let me pet her forever. When we first got her at 3 months old, she was very skiddish and standoffish. I found that the more affection I showed her, the more responsive and affectionate she became.

I miss them both terribly.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:19 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
For me, it's orange tabby males. Every one I've ever known (including those from childhood) had fantastic personalities. They've been very dog-like. For example, when the doorbell rings they run to see whose there. I even taught mine to sit up and beg for a treat. If I ever get another cat it will be an orange tabby male. I wonder if there is something about that combination that is associated with great temperaments?

Seriously, I don't there is one right answer to the question. Some breeds will generally be more friendly than others but each cat is different.
Precisely!

I had two orange tabby males they were really classic red tabby's with the marble pattern silky coats. They were eight weeks when I got them and just like you said, affectionate as can be. They too, would come to the door and greet the guests. They were both lap cats and just pure love!

One developed a blood disease at 4yrs old and had to put him down, the other lived until 15.

Recently, I got two new males one silver tabby and one tuxedo. They just stay in one room as they are afraid of my dogs. I don't get to enjoy them running around the house as I did with the former cats.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:44 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I had two orange tabby males they were really classic red tabby's with the marble pattern silky coats. They were eight weeks when I got them and just like you said, affectionate as can be. They too, would come to the door and greet the guests. They were both lap cats and just pure love!
My little boy is ginger, tiger-striped and even at the ripe old age of 6 months has decided that he's a "lap cat". Even if there is commotion with dogs barking and whatnot, he'll come over and make himself at home.

His sister is what I've seen referred to as the "traditional tabby", red with those marble markings. She's always a step or two behind her brother in terms of being social. We joke that she's just making sure he's not going to be eaten by the dogs before she makes her royal appearance.

I've seen a lot of people speak about male orange kitties, and truth be told, that's part of the reason why I had my heart set on one. He's certainly lived up to the billing.

I've never really been around female orange kitties before. Though, when I first brought them to the vet, when I told the doctor about how she was acting, she just nodded her head and said, "yup, I had one just like her".

Obviously, nurture comes into play when it comes to cats, or any pets. Though, from what I've heard and read, there does seem to be an inherent "nature" when it comes to the orange guys (and gals).

Old 11-23-2015, 12:48 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
A dead one..............

OK, I hope you know I am totally joking. Truth is I am so allergic to cats, that it's the sole reason I "hate" them. A majority of cats I run into effect my asthma and create difficulties in breathing. In other cases I have had my eye blow up the size of a baseball due to one cat hair.

I have several family members with cats, and I will admit they are cute, and I have to walk away from their cuteness when they come to rub against me or want to get into my lap. My favorite was my Aunt's Siamese cat (decades ago), at least from my memory. She was the friendliest cat.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:26 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
A dead one..............

OK, I hope you know I am totally joking. Truth is I am so allergic to cats, that it's the sole reason I "hate" them. A majority of cats I run into effect my asthma and create difficulties in breathing. In other cases I have had my eye blow up the size of a baseball due to one cat hair.

I have several family members with cats, and I will admit they are cute, and I have to walk away from their cuteness when they come to rub against me or want to get into my lap. My favorite was my Aunt's Siamese cat (decades ago), at least from my memory. She was the friendliest cat.
I doubt you really 'hate' them, but rather avoid them because you have to. Sorry you're unable to enjoy feline company, as it can be something very special. Perhaps one day they will find an effective treatment for that allergy. I hope so, anyway.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:27 AM

370 posts, read 504,445 times
My ginger cat is super affectionate. He lived outside as a feral cat for 8 months..and it amazes me every day how much of a love bug he is.

Recently I lost my 13 year old grey long hair cat Jack. He wasn't so much "cuddly" but loved giving kisses.

It really depends how YOU and how YOU interact with your act. I mean Maxwell, my ginger, was feral. Raw. Wild. Feral. He is now a love bear who loves to be cuddled. It took time. I had to devote my energy to him and not expect Maxwell to do all the work...if I want him to be affectionate...I need to show him how through cuddles, kisses and hugs. He loves it all!!! It took time.

I think this is why people get animals and toss them back as they expect the animal to jump to their needs and that will not happen. It takes work, devotion and energy. In fact, thanks for the post it's time to go give hugs and thanks to Maxwell again!! He has helped me so much since we lost Jack a few weeks ago.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:42 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
As far as the cats who have owned me as an adult are concerned:
Weasie (RIP) was a white-chinned gray tabby who was notorious for not only being a "love bug" with me, but also with anyone passing by while she was outside who could be scammed into a treat. She got as good as she gave, though, I have to say.

Blaliko (tortoise-shell/calico mix) first appeared in my life as a young adult stray, nervous around everybody. There was no getting near her for some ten months. That was then. Now - over 3 years later - she's all about being a lap cat, and snuggles with me in bed. Even better, she makes friendly overtures to familiar people and those who she senses she can trust. It's been a nearly 180-degree turnaround.

Seteria, her daughter, is a gray tabby "upstairs" (patches along her back, a striped tail, and a patch on her left back leg) and otherwise snow white. With me she allows some brief "loving." But probably due to the circumstances of her (outdoor) birth not a soul can approach her except for me.

The felines of my childhood were all affectionate: Two tuxedo males (not at the same time), and a "classic tabby" female and her orange tabby son.

From my experience, "It's not the coat, it's the cat." They all have their own stories and live life based on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats