Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 06:49 PM

28 posts, read 21,628 times

Advertisements

What kind of cat do you think is the most affectionate? I vote Calico because I have three. Callie, Leah and Munchie. They love rubs, hugs and kisses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 06:50 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Whichever cats choose to be affectionate, there is no specfic breed limitation.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:52 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,370,668 times
I just got a brown tabby who's quite affectionate...likes to lie down on my head while I'm lying down, and nuzzle her nose into my hair. Too cute.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:02 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
Aloof, affectionate...I don't care. You get what you get.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:04 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
My Siamese mix is not affectionate at all, just loud and demanding . Other than that it's been a mixed bag with the most affectionate ones being a black shorthair and a torti longhair.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:34 PM

318 posts, read 372,956 times
Everyone will say something different.. Snuggle kitties come in all types and colours. And, then there are breeds known for extra affectionate qualities and there's still ones within those breeds that are more aloof.

I tell people looking for a cat to read articles about identifying and choosing which personality you like (alpha, beta, gamma), and what personality meshes well with your current cats. and ask the shelter/rescue staff what you're looking for. What appeals to me might be too much or considered "annoying" for someone else.

In my kitties.
My late girl was part Turkish Angora. She was the coolest ever. LOVED snuggles. Always up for snuggles I would go to sleep with her purring and kneading me and wake up the same. heh. Generally in my face and wanted to be with me no matter what I was doing. would chatter at me. Loved to play, fetch.

Her mother, considering her start is also pretty snuggly. Not like her kid, but more then most. She was almost a year old when we got her (already preggers) and at that point she was never really handled. NEVER held. Didn't want to be at first- tried once and quickly realized to just leave her alone. It wasn't until her kiddo was the same size we kept mistaking the two and one day instead of getting a tap in the face with her paw and a PUT ME DOWN meow, she nuzzled right in, purred like a motor and DROOLED right down my back. after that, she'd reach out on the back of a chair and meow to be held for a quick cuddle when we got in the door.

Affection wise, wanting to be picked up and cuddled the other ones in our family were always the black cats.

Most cats I've known though are choosy. they're affectionate on their terms and when they want attention they will hop on your lap type idea. and they'll go somewhere else and have a nap. If it's not their idea, forget about it.

Oh, not my kitties but I dated a guy who lived with a family that had three Siamese cats. They were really cool! So chatty and interested in what everyone is doing. Loved being around their people. Like my turkey, not the type of cat that would be happy home alone all day.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:35 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,997,426 times
Every cat has its own unique personality......just like people.

And they come in all breeds and colors.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:43 AM

5,520 posts, read 7,115,390 times
Tabby Males!

Old 11-10-2015, 12:14 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,278,745 times
If socialized early on, most cats seek people's attention. It's easy to forget they are not dogs and affection is given and reciprocated under their terms.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:25 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,765,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Tabby Males!
For me, it's orange tabby males. Every one I've ever known (including those from childhood) had fantastic personalities. They've been very dog-like. For example, when the doorbell rings they run to see whose there. I even taught mine to sit up and beg for a treat. If I ever get another cat it will be an orange tabby male. I wonder if there is something about that combination that is associated with great temperaments?

Seriously, I don't there is one right answer to the question. Some breeds will generally be more friendly than others but each cat is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats