Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 01:32 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon.eda14life View Post
My cat went missing the night before last and we have a huge snow storm I went calling for them and walking through the snow for 8 miles and found nothing at all I'm freaking out they didn't have much experience out side they were like 6 or 7 months I'm so scared I'm going to go out looking again today got any suggestions on how to bring them running through the snow back to me because I just can't find them!!!!!!!
Do you live in the country, or a suburban area? Are there other homes nearby you can check? Maybe someone took them in, or they found shelter in an out building of some sort. I seriously doubt they are very far away from their familiar territory, let alone 8 miles. Concentrate your efforts closer to home. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 10:31 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times
Quote:
My cat went missing the night before last and we have a huge snow storm I went calling for them and walking through the snow for 8 miles and found nothing at all I'm freaking out they didn't have much experience out side they were like 6 or 7 months I'm so scared I'm going to go out looking again today got any suggestions on how to bring them running through the snow back to me because I just can't find them!!!!!!!
I hate to hear stories such as this. I have only had indoor cats in an apartment and have not experienced this, but others may have some knowledge of. As the previous poster stated, that is good advice and hopefully, will be able to find your kitty. Maybe you could post signs or information somewhere? It's heartbreaking and I wish you luck.. keep us updated.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:47 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
-----------update-------------

He found his cat, page 2, in 2016.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:04 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
-----------update-------------

He found his cat, page 2, in 2016.
Uh, no... now in reference to new poster with same problem, page 4.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:45 AM

I had realized that and tried to delete/update and was too late, sorry.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:53 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
I opened my door and left it wide open for hours.

Story:

One day, one of my cats jumped to the top of their cat tree that I had positioned next to the window so they could look out and watch things, the window was open, but had a screen on it. He got excited over something and proceeded to push the screen out and fall from the 2nd story to the ground outside. I knew as soon as I got home that something had happened simply because the screen was sitting on top of some bushes under the window.

I searched everywhere. I was crawling through the bushes, muck, mud, underbrush of the small foresty looking areas around where I lived...knowing full well that I was crawling amongst 8 legged demon spawns...I walked all over the neighborhood, I talked to people in the area I didn't even know, and I was up for hours every day and night looking for him.

I left food out, other cats came and ate the food, not him.

I called for him, repeatedly, day and night, over and over and over.

Then I went online, desperate to find the best way to get my cat to come home. What I read is that they could be right close to you, but because they are outside, something changes - they are in fight/flight mode, often, and even though they know you, and they hear you, they may not come to you for that reason alone. There was a suggestion given on how to get your cat to come home, I tried it, and it totally worked.

When I called the town, and the vets that I had contacted, just in case he was brought in by someone, not one of them would recommend the tactic that worked. On the one hand, I can understand it, but on the other hand, all I know is that it worked when nothing else did.

You decide - keeping in mind the weather.

I put all of my other pets in my bedroom, closed the door to the bedroom, went downstairs, opened the front door, and left it open. Wide open. I then went back up to my room and slept for a couple of hours. You don't need to sleep, I was just dead tired after spending 2 days looking for my cat. And when I say "2 days", I mean I literally spent the majority of my time actually physically looking for my cat - not just sitting on the front door step hoping.

I woke up at about 2-3 am. I had left the door wide open at about 11pm, so it was just a few hours. I had gone towards the bathroom, and when I turned to close the door to the bathroom, I saw a cat running down the hallway towards me. I recognized that outline, immediately.

It was my cat. He came home.

Of course the city or a vet won't recommend that tactic because they think of all the bad people out there and believe they would walk right into your front door. As far as I think, if someone wanted to break in that badly, the door being closed isn't a deterrent, and in fact, I believe having it wide open would confuse them too much.

Regardless, you don't have to walk away from your open front door. You can sit there, in the dark, or in the day (although they will most likely move around when they the cover of darkness), on your couch, quietly, not doing anything, and wait.

If it's blizzards outside - maybe not something you want to do, I'm simply stating that this worked, and it worked fast. How long had he been back inside the house, I don't know. He couldn't come into the bedroom because I had closed all the other pets in the room with me. He could have come in 5 minutes later, I'll never know. What I do know is, after 2 days of serious searching and no prospects at all, it was only 4 hours from the time I opened the door wide open, went to get some sleep, woke up 4 hours later, and he was home.

I'm not "recommending" it, I'm simply sharing it. You have to make the choice to try it or not.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:27 AM

Good news. I can't imagine the worry I would have thinking if all the terrible things that could happen if my easily frightened cat got loose. What a relief. Now if it would only talk to you and tell you of its adventures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats